Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,759 times

Advertisements

Michelin guide has awarded Tokyo the gourmet capitol of the world, Paris in 2nd place.
Quote:
Fast-forward to 2010, however, and Tokyo has finally and formally been declared the epicentre of gourmet dining. In its latest Tokyo guide, Michelin has rated a growing number of worthy establishments - 234 in all - but what has piqued the interest of gourmands worldwide is that 11 received three coveted stars; that's the most for any city on the planet, beating Paris.
You can read the entire article here.
Japn fine dining | The best country in the world for food

Do you guys like Japanese food? Do you agree with this rating by Michelin guide? Also in 2009 the Food and Wine list also awarded Tokyo the best food city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:17 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
I would have to think that the best country for foodies would be one with lots of immigrants from all over the world bringing all kinds of different cuisines with them, such as in major cities in the U.S., England. and the like.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I would have to think that the best country for foodies would be one with lots of immigrants from all over the world bringing all kinds of different cuisines with them, such as in major cities in the U.S., England. and the like.
I agree. A lots of Japanese restaurants mentioned by Michelin doesn't make the city great for foodies. A city with all same type upscale restaurants lack something - the variety of different food

Old 01-31-2010, 11:17 PM

Only around 50% of the stars in Tokyo were awarded to japanese food restaurants. Tokyo is one of the most diverse cities in the world when it comes to restaurants (some of the 3 star restaurants in Tokyo are french and italian for example). I guess you guys have never been to Tokyo before if you think every restaurant is Japanese lol. I used to work in an Italian restaurant in japan actually

Old 01-31-2010, 11:27 PM

845 posts, read 2,328,023 times
Bangkok; they sell Sushi at the Skytrain stations. It was actually part of the Japanese empire for a shameful while during WWII. The history of Thai food goes back to win the King had forty wives, and the one who cooked the best got to hop in the sack with the King. A very interesting meeting place of East and West. The French colonized the nations to the east, and the british to the west. Thailand itself was never colonized, but was occupied during WWII.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I agree. A lots of Japanese restaurants mentioned by Michelin doesn't make the city great for foodies. A city with all same type upscale restaurants lack something - the variety of different food
I got to thinking... within a two-mile radius of my place, there are three German restaurants, two Romanian restaurants, about five Thai restaurants (including the only Zagat 5-star-rated Thai restaurant in the U.S.), two Japanese restaurants, one Afghan restaurant, two Iraqi restaurants, one Morrocan restaurant, a handful of pan-Arab restaurants, a nationally recognized barbecue joint, two Indian restaurants (with a whole bunch more if I go another half-mile north to Devon Avenue), two Equadorian restaurants, a Chilean restaurant, a Peruvian restaurant, a Colombian steakhouse, two Irish restaurants, a couple of Korean restaurants, three or four Cuban restaurants, a number of Italian restaurants ranging from standard red-sauce on up to authentic Northern Italian cuisine, and seemingly more Mexican restaurants than Guadalajara.

Now to me, that's a foodie dream. I'd like to know if there's any place in Tokyo where there's that kind of variety available in such a small area. I guess there are two kinds of foodies: those who are only interested in "haute cuisine," and those who seek good food whether it's served in high-class restaurants or mom-and-pop hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Maybe Tokyo is a better bet for the former type, but for the latter type, I'll take a place like Chicago any day.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:06 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
I got to thinking... within a two-mile radius of my place, there are three German restaurants, two Romanian restaurants, about five Thai restaurants (including the only Zagat 5-star-rated Thai restaurant in the U.S.), two Japanese restaurants, one Afghan restaurant, two Iraqi restaurants, one Morrocan restaurant, a handful of pan-Arab restaurants, a nationally recognized barbecue joint, two Indian restaurants (with a whole bunch more if I go another half-mile north to Devon Avenue), two Equadorian restaurants, a Chilean restaurant, a Peruvian restaurant, a Colombian steakhouse, two Irish restaurants, a couple of Korean restaurants, three or four Cuban restaurants, a number of Italian restaurants ranging from standard red-sauce on up to authentic Northern Italian cuisine, and seemingly more Mexican restaurants than Guadalajara.

Now to me, that's a foodie dream. I'd like to know if there's any place in Tokyo where there's that kind of variety available in such a small area. I guess there are two kinds of foodies: those who are only interested in "haute cuisine," and those who seek good food whether it's served in high-class restaurants or mom-and-pop hole-in-the-wall restaurants. Maybe Tokyo is a better bet for the former type, but for the latter type, I'll take a place like Chicago any day.
Drover: you live in Chicago - where the heck are all the Polish restaurants hiding, Milwaukee St. only?? lol
But seriously, I think that a city with the most variety of food available in all price range would make the world best foodie place.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Drover: you live in Chicago - where the heck are all the Polish restaurants hiding, Milwaukee St. only?? lol
But seriously, I think that a city with the most variety of food available in all price range would make the world best foodie place.
LOL, yeah I forgot those. I actually live less than a mile from Milwaukee Avenue and the major Polish enclave (Jackowo). Milwaukee Avenue is becoming more and more Hispanic; the Poles are are starting to move northwest. They still come back to the old neighborhood to go to church, and to eat. So some of the restaurants are still there.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 AM

Quote:
One question have you been to Japan before? If your answer is no then that's just speculation, and you will have to take every respected food ranking at face value. Both the food and wine list and michelin guide (most respected guide on planet earth) have given Tokyo this ranking. And if you like "mom and pop hole in the wall restaurants" than japan is definately the country for you. Basically everysingle step you take is a small restaurant. Every little allyway too, imagine NYC/Chicago x5 (Japan is denser and much more urban).

Old 02-01-2010, 04:26 AM

871 posts, read 1,631,695 times
a foodie place is pretty much anywhere they have lots of food which is too many countries to list. do you think anthony bourdain has made a career of being a foodie by only a scarce number of countries with great variety in food?

as for japan, they have good restaurants like many places but i wouldn't say that it's an ultimate foodie's dream. there is too much food mileage worldwide and you can get just about anything in many countries. it definitely has something for anyone if you look for it though. it all depends though on what your requirements are, i don't think japan has the best street food if you compare many other countries. there are too many countries with great food to say one place is a foodie's only possible choice. you also have to take into account quality of food or how organic it is and also different climates and soils produce different tastes and livestock etc. so it would be up to the person's preference too.

i have to say though the best tasting meats were from asia imo. also, their vegetables and fruits are mostly organic and more flavorful. but many countries have organic too. the differences in soil/climate is what makes every place a bit unique and interesting and so their food.

i would say the best cold cuts i've had were german. when you eat it, it's like 'now that's a coldcut'. lol

so also it would be what country produces the best tasting foods you like which may be in different locales for the best fare of a certain variety or choice.

i find foods in other countries so quaint and interesting like the banana milk in korea and those multi pastel colored bratwurst fascinated and tickled me. i guess they have a current fad with colored sausages. i got one in every color. i love the drinks in japan and some unique flavors like aloe yogurt. i think japan has some of the best and highest quality drinks which are very healthy with the right balance of sweet just enough not to be bitter. i love that there are vending machines everywhere. a foodie would appreciate that. every country has thier own brands and thier quirks and local tastes.

Last edited by rory00; 02-01-2010 at 04:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World