Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Melbourne 47 21.96%
Montreal 57 26.64%
Sydney 57 26.64%
Toronto 53 24.77%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 05:17 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Have you been? And what are the "huge walls" you speak off? Like I moved here couple months ago and have yet to encounter any walls.
Of course I've been. Probably over 20 times.
The walls I am referring to are the skyscrapers. Simply too much going on in that department. Looks nice from a distance, but when inside the city, it's pretty ugly.

To be honest, I liked it more in the early 90s, before they went overly crazy with the overabundance of skyscrapers.

Ignoring the power lines, I don't find this to be appealing at all:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 AM

284 posts, read 331,313 times
Towers are fine, but imo what's important is the thing planners refer to as 'human scale'. It's what's at street level that counts, so a well designed podium will have a lot more impact on the street than the tower itself, ie. having tower setbacks where appropriate to mitigate the visual impact of the tower, that the podiums are activated where necessary and contribute to the street life around the area, etc. Importantly the podium needs to relate to the streetscape.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:44 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Of course I've been. Probably over 20 times.
The walls I am referring to are the skyscrapers. Simply too much going on in that department. Looks nice from a distance, but when inside the city, it's pretty ugly.

To be honest, I liked it more in the early 90s, before they went overly crazy with the overabundance of skyscrapers.

Ignoring the power lines, I don't find this to be appealing at all:
Have you been to Old Toronto west of the DT core? T.O is more than a CBD and is a large and dense city by anglo standards... The best places are west of the core be it for nightlife, restaurants, bars, clubs and other things to do ie.. QSW, Kensington Market, College St, Bloor West and the Annex, Little Italy etc.. The Distillery District just east of the CBD is great as well. T.O is more than a CBD and Yonge st.

Skyscrapers are just a way of life in Toronto now.. The city has pretty much extended as far as it can go due to surrounding farm/marshlands which are some of the most valuable in Canada and are protected from development - therefore increased densification within the Greater Toronto Area is just a way of life - if you don't like the level of growth now in terms of scrapers, you haven't seen nothing yet!!

Hey - you could always just walk across the lake to the Toronto islands and go for a cross country ski lol..

https://flic.kr/p/r8kUic by Timothy Neesam (GumshoePhotos), on Flickr

Last edited by fusion2; 02-13-2015 at 05:10 PM..

Old 02-14-2015, 01:19 AM

984 posts, read 1,315,700 times
All are great and vibrant cities.

I think if there is one that I would find the least interesting it would be Sydney.

I've always heard that Sydney is sort of like a large Vancouver............your typical blond, beautiful on the outside but nothing in the middle.

I would have to categorize the cities as:

Toronto...........exciting, dynamic urban cultural grit
Montreal......Joie de vive
Melbourne...........bohemian
Sydney...........beach resort

Old 02-14-2015, 09:40 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,986 times
Quote:
Toronto? Really? It's really just "big." There's nothing else impressive about it.
Montreal has a MUCH livelier and active downtown than Toronto. I'd place it second only to Manhattan in NA for downtown action.
No, Toronto's downtown is just as if not more busy and active than Montreal's.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
No, Toronto's downtown is just as if not more busy and active than Montreal's.
Not by a long shot. Look it up. I'll admit to partial bias towards Montreal on my part, but this is actual statistical fact.
Toronto is a bigger city, yes, and has an impressive amount of high-rises, but the amount of foot traffic and activity in its city core simply does not match Montreal's "Centre-Ville."

Old 02-15-2015, 12:52 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,242,986 times
Show me some stats that prove such a thing. The intersection of Yonge and Dundas in Toronto is Canada's busiest pedestrian crossing by far. Post your supposed proof that downtown Montreal has more foot traffic. Toronto has blown well past Montreal at this point and is not even looking back.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Show me some stats that prove such a thing. The intersection of Yonge and Dundas in Toronto is Canada's busiest pedestrian crossing by far. Post your supposed proof that downtown Montreal has more foot traffic. Toronto has blown well past Montreal at this point and is not even looking back.
It shouldn't come as a surprise, considering more people use public transit in Montreal than in Toronto, despite its smaller population.
Couple that with the smaller land area of Montreal, and you have a city core with more people not using cars -- i.e., walking.
Also
Ste-Catherine St. is Canada's busiest commercial avenue.

By the way, Ellington/Yonge is the busiest. Yonge/Dundas only LOOKS busy because of its layout.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:43 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Poor Toronto its such a dynamic city

Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
It shouldn't come as a surprise, considering more people use public transit in Montreal than in Toronto, despite its smaller population.
Couple that with the smaller land area of Montreal, and you have a city core with more people not using cars -- i.e., walking.
Also
Ste-Catherine St. is Canada's busiest commercial avenue.

By the way, Ellington/Yonge is the busiest. Yonge/Dundas only LOOKS busy because of its layout.
well there is truth to the fact that Montreal's core is smaller so you will see more compression but in terms of overall size of a DT core T.O's is by far the busiest DT core in Canada with the highest population density.. Many people live right in the DT core so there's not even a need to use PT for many.. If they do its literally a few subway stops.. Anyway - its really a moot point about one busy street.. Toronto's core is the largest in population, density and in addition is growing far more than any other DT core in the country.. Its not even close.. Its like a bullet train vs a conventional train in terms of DT growth rates in Toronto vs other CAD cities.. Plus I'd posit rather comfortably that T.O's core has more large arterials so average ped vibrancy would be higher since there are more Ie Yonge, Bloor, King, Queen, Front, Dundas, College, Jarvis, Wellesley, Spadina, Bay - prolly missing more plus it anchors a bigger city than Montreal.. Plus, you have to account for the fact that the CBD is Huge in T.O vs the rest of the country so daytime ped vibrancy also needs to be accounted for..

The DT core in Toronto is growing at a phenominal rate yoy so stats from 2011 in the case of Toronto are extremely outdated..

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle20229182/

Look, I like Montreal - its a great and urban compact city and a busy DT core with great nightlife (T.O's nightlife is west of its core NOT in it unless you're talking gay villiage).. It even has a busier commercial street than Toronto but in terms of mass of humanity either working or living or working and living in a DT core - Toronto's core is not comparable in Canada in terms of built and human scale.

Hey - at least you admit to a Montreal bias which is something you are entitled to.. As an American I can see why Montreal offers something more in terms of a different experience than T.O but if you haven't experienced the places I suggested to you in an earlier post re: Toronto you're conclusions are incomplete.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-15-2015 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World