Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
....some people are so boring.
Tell me about it. People that enjoy sitting on a beach for two weeks straight are a perfect example. I'm not going to say it isn't enjoyable for a day or two (providing there is plenty of beer and shade), but after a couple days I'm going stir crazy with boredom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
To me, this is not really a case of having 'no' interest in traveling to the places you've mentioned - it's more that you've decided on balance that you'd prefer not to visit them. Which is still a shame, but not quite the same thing.
Why is it a shame? I live outside Toronto and can experience most cultures of the world within a short drive of my home. When it comes to vacation, I prefer to go to places that are safe, clean and stimulating by Canadian standards, and my wife feels the same. Our experience in Cuba during our honeymoon is a perfect example as to why. It was an epic disaster from start to finish, and I ended up coming home the sickest I have been since childhood. Why the hell would I want to tempt fate like that again when there are plenty of places in the world I would not have to worry about that happening again? I should add that we married in Manhattan and had an absolutely amazing time by comparison. But there really is no place in the world quite like New York, is there?

Quote:
On a broader point, I would say that people in the West who go through life avoiding non-Western countries on account of their being too dangerous/uncomfortable/boring, aside from mostly being mistaken, are a leading reason for the gradual relative decline of Western Europe and North America. People from these regions of the world have been brought up to think they have the best of everything, and in many respects they still do - but this hubris has a tendency of hanging around even as the facts of the world change, leaving populations that are complacent and inward-looking.
I really fail to see the logic in this. You really think western society would magically "improve" if we all took a two week vacation in Sri Lanka or Zimbabwe? Not bloody likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
There is no country that I would not want to see for myself the first time. But there are a few countries I've been to that I have no burning desire to go back to. Vietnam, Spain, Botswana, El Salvador, Egypt, Finland, Thailand, Liberia are some that come to mind.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Zululand
What list of countries did you find Zululand on? An old stamp album?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._1894_0.5p.jpg

Old 02-12-2013, 10:41 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
When it comes to vacation, I prefer to go to places that are safe, clean and stimulating by Canadian standards, and my wife feels the same.
Consdering how clean Canada is in general that leaves like five countries in the world to visit...

Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by These Are Words View Post
As an American, I pick England and Australia since they are so similar to the US and I don't want to vacation in countries heavily influenced by Anglo culture.
I'm just the opposite. I really only want to visit countries where I'm not completely culture shocked! For example, if English isn't the primary language, then I'd at least want the culture to be somewhat modern, open minded, and forward thinking (maybe not in all customs but in most of their day-to-day living). Diversity is important too; and this can mean many, many different things.

I can't even begin to list all the countries I have no desire to visit because I don't even know the names of all the countries in the world. I can list a short list of places that I wouldn't say no to visiting however:

Most of Europe
Japan, Korea, Singapore, Hong Kong
Ivory Coast of Africa, Egypt, Moracco
Brazil, Argentina, Costa Rica, Columbia, Cuba, Venezuela
Canada (again, other parts)
Russia, Turkey, Prague
Austrailia and New Zealand
Bermuda, Barbados, Trinidad, Bahamas, Jamaica
Fiji, Aruba
US Virgin Islands
British Virgin Islands

Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,231 times
What kind of question is "countries you dont want to visit"? Thats like making a list of "things I dont want to experience in my life" and have it be like "bathing in gasoline and lighting a match, telling Mike Tyson to punch me as hard as he can, dangling my willy in front of snapping turtles" etc. Most people dont want to go to most countries in the world since most suck in their mind. Here's a list of countries Id like to go to:

Britain
France
Argentina
Italy
United Arab Emirates
Brazil
Canada
Mexico

Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 PM

580 posts, read 1,181,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I am not sure why just because one has an interest in travelling that you are assuming that should equate into wanting to travel *everywhere*. I have no interest in seeing a lot of countries for various reasons, be it climate (equatorial regions), perceived lack of things to do (Belize), crime (Mexico), repressive culture (Iran, U.A.E.) or health concerns (India, most of Africa). I'm not interested in shelling out several grand to see for myself if country X really differs that much from the things I read on travel forums, government travel advisories or the personal experiences of people I personally know. If there is a three-page list of instructions to follow in a country to ensure my health and personal safety, I have zero interest in travelling there.

Case in point: My wife wanted to go to Cuba for our honeymoon (I had never been, she had once before). I don't have much interest in "beach vacations", but agreed to go despite my reservaions about the country. The honeymoon was a total disaster and, despite $160 worth of vaccinations before leaving, I ended up sicker than I have ever been since childhood. I'm not interested in risking $2500 to return there or any other second or third world country when I can travel to the U.S. or Western Europe and have no fear whatsoever of that happening again.
This is the best post in this entire thread and I completely agree.

I have zero interests in visiting countries who promote repressive culture, high crime, high terrorism, second or third world, etc.

I still stand by my post earlier. There is nothing of interest to me in Africa or South America. The only countries worth visiting are.....

Asia - Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and South Korea
Australia and New Zealand
Europe - Eastern Europe
North America - Canada and United States

• Glad you enjoyed your trip to New York - I am from there.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:35 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,385,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
I'll go anywhere really, as long as I know I'll be safe and have at least some comfort.

I agree with this. I've been to over 600 cities around the world now. I truly enjoy seeing new cities and learning new cultures. I've even lived abroad for almost a decade. About the only places I don't really have any big interest in going to are a few countries in Africa, countries in the Middle East where there are conflict, especially Iran (I have NO plans to head to Iran or Iraq) and parts of India.

The rest I'm wide open to.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Boring countries to me are:

Canada
All Scandinavian countries
Russia and former east bloc except Czech
Entire middle east
All "sun destinations"
S Korea
India

Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
This is the best post in this entire thread and I completely agree.
Thank you!

Quote:
• Glad you enjoyed your trip to New York - I am from there.
I have been there three times now for vacation and would go again in a heatbeat. My wife is already planning a return trip to celebrate our second anniversary.

My father lived at Fort Jay on Governor's Island from '62 to '65 while he served in the U.S. Army. He agrees with me that there is no place anywhere like New York!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World