Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,089,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
Never heard about Caesar's fleet?

Caesar sent 500 triremes to conquer America, they landed in Machu Pichu. They forced natives to speak Latin and eat Garum.
I know how South And Central America were conquered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 06:12 PM

184 posts, read 472,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
My wife and I are considering a handful of opportunities between Mexico and Spain. We currently live in the western U.S. and are working on fluency for our fledgling Spanish skills. We're young--in our 20s--are just starting a family. Our opportunity would likely be for just a few years or so, therefore it isn't a permanent sort of thing. But we're trying to figure out which would place would be better given our likes, wants, etc. We're primarily looking at Guanajuato, Guadalajara, and D.F. in Mexico, and Pamplona and maybe Madrid in Spain. Here are some of the things we love and don't love about each place vs. the other:

Why Mexico over Spain:

- Closer to home/family; cheaper to travel
- Cheaper
- More intensely Catholic; church-going is more frequent
- More conservative
- More mountainous (we love to hike)
- Richer culture
- Less pretentious
- More family-centered way of life (good for families with lots of kids)
- Economy seems to be growing, unlike in Spain.

Why Spain over Mexico:

- Nicer
- Cleaner
- Safer
- Wealthier (although that's probably a plus and a minus)
- Better access to European destinations
- We like the whole cafe culture and the European way of life, more generally
- We're not Latino, so we'd likely "blend in" in Spain better, although it doesn't matter to us, of course, what our neighbor's skin color is.
- Better public transportation
- A more modern feel and look

I've been to Mexico several times (although not Guanajuato or Guadalajara), and I've been to Europe several times (although not Spain). So I have a marginally good idea what I'm up against. I'm a rather devout (and politically conservative) Catholic, so Mexico has always had some appeal. And that's why I"m hesitant about Spain, although I've heard that Pamplona is pretty conservative, too. Yet I'm really afraid about the grunginess and safety issues of Mexico that you don't have in Spain. The same kind of humble, earthiness about Mexico seems missing in super-modernistic Spain, so that's another thing to consider.

I appreciate any thoughts and/or advice.
i'd say you should wait till the inevitable spanish riots and protests finish and the economy is back on track before moving over there.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 43,211 times
Well, is hard to tell. I'm mexican and I've traveled to Madrid twice.

PROS SPAIN:

Quality of life

Better preserved architecture.

Nice people.

Cleaner.

Safer.

More Unites Citizens.

Human development.

CONS SPAIN:

People is pretentious, racist and unfriendly.

Economy

Spain is very, very small.

PROS MEXICO.

Mexico is BIG, like four times Spain.

Mexico has a lot natural beauty. Hot deserts, snowy cold forests and hills, white sands paradise beaches, tropical jungles...

Culture. Spanish culture is great. But in Mexio is mexed with the native american culture, so, Mexico wins.

Family and friens. Everybody loves their family and friends, is the most important thing in our lives.

Economy is growing. Middle class is rising.

CONS MEXICO

Well, let me think... Yes, for mexicans, family and friends are EVERYTHING. What happens with those who aren't your friends?
Mexicans actually hate mexicans. We do. People is rude in the streets with ALL strangers. If they had to kill you they would. People can be very, very racist. Also, mexicans are VERY conservative. True, Mexico City is deeply liberal and so is the rest of the southern Mexico. But outside any city in the country everybody is so damned conservative. Politics and government are just a joke. Our government is so corroupt, and citizens are so stupid and ignorant that they don't do anything. Northern Mexico is like the murder and crime mecca of the world. And those pretentious cowboys are so annoying...

Old 08-06-2013, 03:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,026 times
spain is also a very mixed country.. they are all not mostly european.. many are of arab descent

Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,026 times
as far as safety is concerned.. spain is becoming a dangerous place as well , my sister was in Toledo not so long ago and was a victim of robbery.. Spain has many gypsies that are experts in pick pocketing ,,,

Old 08-06-2013, 04:54 PM

80 posts, read 233,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mireille23 View Post
spain is also a very mixed country.. they are all not mostly european.. many are of arab descent
You have said a stupidity. The Spanish do not have Arab blood, only immigrants. The Spanish have the R1b typical of Western European, the genetic testing show it. In all countries can produce theft but Spain is generally very safe.

Last edited by ESPAÑOL; 08-06-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 PM

http://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&...50310824,d.ZGU

It is very easy to talk without knowing and without evidence. This link easily clear the doubts about the genetics of Europe. Spain have less arab blood that the Mohammedan Austria or Switzerland. The same level as France. Please end up with the topics, we are in the XXI century

Last edited by ESPAÑOL; 08-06-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 05:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
as far as safety is concerned.. spain is becoming a dangerous place as well , my sister was in Toledo not so long ago and was a victim of robbery.. Spain has many gypsies that are experts in pick pocketing ,,,
Anyone that says Spain is becoming dangerous in a topic concerning Mexico, is just being silly. Sorry. Spain is never going to have even a fraction of the amount of crime Mexico experiences

Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
I agree crime of just about any kind is bad but pickpocketing is pretty precious compared to narco gang violence.

This is a pretty interesting matchup though. Mexico is economically booming and trying with its crime issues. This could be a very different argument a decade from now even if Spain recovers. Meanwhile, Mexico seems to be benefiting from the current conditions in Spain as an educated and young workforce continues to emigrate from Spain to Mexico.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Spain is the country that more invests in Ibero-America, and of course Mexico. Not the other way around. Spain is a developed country and Mexico is on track to development.

Last edited by ESPAÑOL; 08-06-2013 at 07:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World