Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most Racist Developed Countries
Norway 7 1.85%
Australia 55 14.51%
America 116 30.61%
Germany 23 6.07%
Netherlands 7 1.85%
Sweden 10 2.64%
Ireland 12 3.17%
New Zealand 1 0.26%
Switzerland 16 4.22%
Japan 132 34.83%
Voters: 379. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:29 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,217,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
In what other county are minorities more wealthy than in America ? Just how many black/ethniic movie stars thier are in Norway, Austria, Japan, Swirzer, U.K. When it comes to movies how many black males do they have staring in any of there films. Music..Black people IN AMERICA have done SO MUCH. Dance, again. How many black politicians are know through out the world. A black man as the president.Were is he in Norway ?
Your grammar is really good, anyways I actually agree with what you said but mostly because of American population with immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:45 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
In Germany, there seems to be a double standard when it comes to racism. For instance, it is a taboo in the media and society to openly insult a Black or Middle Eastern person but totally acceptable to bash East Asians and all the other European ethnicities. For instance, our former liberal Vietnamese-German Business secretary , Phillip Rößler , had racial insults thrown at him by the same "leftists" who would cry out for "racism", if they discovered the word "negro" in an old history book or came across an anti-Islam demonstration. The same goes for the European nationalities. It's okay to label an Italian as "spaghetti" or "mafiosi" or a Pole as "Polake" or "thief" but totally inacceptable to even call Roma's 'Gypsies'...
I've had German people tell me that they thought Poles were stupid and weird--and then after I tell them that my ancestors are Polish, they sort of laugh and buy me a beer.

But really, the only ethnic group I've really heard German friends bash on a regular basis is Turks.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I've had German people tell me that they thought Poles were stupid and weird--and then after I tell them that my ancestors are Polish, they sort of laugh and buy me a beer.

But really, the only ethnic group I've really heard German friends bash on a regular basis is Turks.
I have a Polish friend (from Poland) who hates Poles, in general. He thinks they're ignorant, bigoted (racist, homophobic), too traditional/religious, not that intelligent, materialistic...etc...he has a very sheltered life and his parents were not good to him though. I've met some cool Poles.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 AM

520 posts, read 1,515,204 times
Quote:
In what other county are minorities more wealthy than in America ? Just how many black/ethniic movie stars thier are in Norway, Austria, Japan, Swirzer, U.K. When it comes to movies how many black males do they have staring in any of there films. Music..Black people IN AMERICA have done SO MUCH. Dance, again. How many black politicians are know through out the world. A black man as the president.Were is he in Norway ?
Norway is a Northern European country. Why should it have black celebrities? Should Uganda or Senegal have an Asian or White president?!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:46 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,578 times
Are Germans racist towards Spanish and Latin American people in general?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:13 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that blacks only account for ~ 1% of the Norwegian population and these are mostly Somalians? Of course you would expect more successful black people in the US when 1) their number is far, far higher than in any European country, 2) the US receives more wealthy and educated African immigrants, while Europe mostly receives poor and unskilled African immigrants (due to the difficulty of getting to the US vs. Europe) and 3) African Americans have been in the US for centuries and are far better integrated into US society than the relatively recent African immigrants in Europe.

Still, in France and The Netherlands - the countries with the highest number of black people (around 5%) - there are plenty of prominent and successful black celebrities. Let me give you some examples:

Frank Rijkaard (former football player for Ajax and AC Milan, manager of the Dutch NT that reached the semi-finals in Euro 2000, manager of Barcelona that won the Champions League in 2006):

Ayaan Hirsi Ali (Somali refugee, former Dutch politician, author, atheist/feminist activist, named as one of 100 most influential people in the world by Time Magazine):

John Williams (presentor and actor, hosts several very successful shows on the most popular commercial channel (RTL 4) in the country):

Humberto Tan (prominent sports analyst and radio/TV presentor):

Edsilia Rombley (popular singer, represented the Netherlands at the Eurovision Song Contest in 1998 where she achieved 4th place):

These are just a few examples off the top of my head. There are many, many more. I'm not so familiar with French celebrities but I'm sure it's the same there (I know there are many successful black French athletes, for example).

Old 09-24-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Are Germans racist towards Spanish and Latin American people in general?
No, not really. It probably also depends on the location.
Spaniards mostly have positive stereotypes here such as being passionate, proud and typically "Spanish". Also, they just look like Europeans, hence, not really like exotic "foreigners" for the most part.
Although we do have some 'sizeable' Hispanic communities in cities like Berlin (up to 25,000 people of Latin American origin there), Latin Americans as a whole tend to be rather "invisible" due to their small overall numbers compared to other immigrant groups, their variety in looks/cultures and their rather "humble" attitude.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Still, in France and The Netherlands - the countries with the highest number of black people (around 5%) - there are plenty of prominent and successful black celebrities. Let me give you some examples:

The German (trash) media is full of minor Dutch celebrities, among them also a few Black Dutchmen. From our perspective, they seem to be so integrated that they are just perceived as normal Dutch although having a different look than the "ethnic" Dutch. Probably that's because they are all Dutch-speaking folks from the Dutch Antilles or Suriname, so they are a totally different community than Black people in Scandinavia, Southern Europe or even Germany who are of recent African background for the most part.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:28 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
The German (trash) media is full of minor Dutch celebrities, among them also a few Black Dutchmen. From our perspective, they seem to be so integrated that they are just perceived as normal Dutch although having a different look than the "ethnic" Dutch. Probably that's because they are all Dutch-speaking folks from the Dutch Antilles or Suriname, so they are a totally different community than Black people in Scandinavia, Southern Europe or even Germany who are of recent African background for the most part.
Really? I can't think of any German celebrities that are featured in our media, except for a handful of football players that are discussed in football-related stories. Somehow our most obnoxious celebrities manage to make their way to Germany (who thought it was a good idea to give Sylvie van der Vaart a TV show? ).

Yes, many black Dutch people are of Antillian or Surinamese descent and are therefore not really considered "foreigners". They often have Dutch names and speak Dutch without accent. It's similar to French blacks from the former colonies or overseas departments. I have never thought of Thierry Henry as anything but French, for example. If there is discrimination (or at least a negative perception) of immigrants, it's mostly aimed at those who are considered to be incompatible with our culture (e.g. Muslims and Roma) rather than superficial differences in race.

Another thing I forgot to add: RumNCoke said "A black man as the president. Where is he in Norway?" Well, the good thing is that an immigrant in Norway (black or otherwise) at least has the chance to become Prime Minister (Norway is a monarchy) whereas an immigrant in the US is completely barred from the presidency - even if he has lived in the US almost his entire life. Also, let's not pretend that Obama was accepted by the entire population; the Tea Party folks are still trying to impeach him because they believe he's not a "real American". The US still has a long way to go.

Still, I don't think any Western first world country is the most racist in the world. Our perceptions are flawed because we have a lot of minorities, racism is openly talked about and frowned upon, and we are more aware of what happens in our own countries and in the West in general. What about Japan? Do you think if a group of Swedish people settle in Japan, that their great-great-great-great-grandchildren will ever be considered Japanese even though they've lived in the country for many generations and don't have any cultural connection to Sweden? It will be hard for a group of Swedes to settle in Japan in the first place considering their insanely strict immigration laws.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
the Tea Party folks are still trying to impeach him because they believe he's not a "real American". The US still has a long way to go.
They're just still butthurt a Democrat won the presidential election, again.
Most Tea Party folks don't care about Obama's skin color. just the media likes to make all Tea Party people look like a bunch of racist hicks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World