Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
China (includes HK and Macau) 4 4.40%
India 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
United States 54 59.34%
Brazil 1 1.10%
Germany 11 12.09%
United Kingdom 4 4.40%
France 2 2.20%
Mexico 0 0%
Canada 6 6.59%
Other - Europe 6 6.59%
Other - Africa 2 2.20%
Other - Asia 1 1.10%
Other - South America 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 12:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You have to admit they look strikingly similar on the pictures!
High-rise buildings of many cities start to look very similar if that's as far as anyone is willing to go.

http://www.conservapedia.com/images/...rt_skyline.jpg

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/images...n2010_pic1.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr...bjfwo1_500.jpg

http://seattleplace.com/images/Seatt...l_Postcard.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Mountains2.jpg

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/a...leans-3-19.jpg

Look past the immediate skyline!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:55 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

A historic place like the French Quarter or North End of Boston seems really cool and unique in the US--in Europe or Latin America they have entire cities similar to those areas. There's maybe a handful of cities in the US that have really consistently urban neighborhoods--then you have a lot of other cities with either interesting cores or other neighborhoods, but then much of what's outside of that just feels sort of suburban and bland. A lot of times there's nothing really that bad about those places--and some of the most ethnically diverse neighborhoods in some US cities are in fairly boring looking areas in terms of aesthetics. And I'm probably not moving from the US anytime soon--though at the same time when I come back from foreign trips I always notice how sort of boring a lot of American cities look. A lot of them are just sort of victims of their times considering the autocentric trends of development post-World War II.
Interesting perspective. One that has me thinking a bit now.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:16 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Canada

I like our selection of cities

Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver
Ottawa
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Quebec City
Halifax
Hamilton
Victoria
Saskatoon
Kelowna
St. John's

and the USA is good too
I highly doubt international travelers have Winnipeg, Hamilton, or Saskatoon on their bucket list. How many Canadians themselves would be itching to see Saskatoon? Only Canadian cities worthy of a discussion for international travelers.......

Montreal
Quebec City
Toronto
Vancouver

Old 07-05-2013, 01:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I highly doubt international travelers have Winnipeg, Hamilton, or Saskatoon on their bucket list. How many Canadians themselves would be itching to see Saskatoon? Only Canadian cities worthy of a discussion for international travelers.......

Montreal
Quebec City
Toronto
Vancouver
To a lesser extent I'd add Victoria, BC and Ottawa to that list(though they're visited usually in conjunction with other cities). A lot of people visit Calgary since it's the gateway city to the Canadian Rockies(and there's a ton of foreign visitors who go to the Rockies)--though Calgary itself isn't as popular as a standalone destination.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
USA easily wins this...now I don't want people saying America just won because its an American forum...

Old 07-05-2013, 01:57 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,200 times
Africa - you are talking about a whole continent. Many of the countries I have yet to visit.

List of cities in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2013, 02:04 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,598,872 times
I would say the US should win this hands down. Too many highly developed cities with too many variations from urban, coastal, tropical, and desert landscapes. You would definitely need size and population to compete here so the US has a massive advantage as well from the get go. Perhaps continent-to-continent would be more fair like N. America vs. S. America vs. Europe vs. Asia.

As it stands, only a few places come to mind like France, UK, Germany, Japan, China and Brazil that have big selection of cities. If I go for a number two, I'd would personally go with France, even though I haven't traveled to too many places within the country (yet). You have Paris as the big city, arguably the worlds best wine regions in the middle like Bordeaux, the gastronomy capital of Lyon, and then awesome coastal cities like Marseille and Nice. The cities offer a lot: architecture, urbanity, wine country, food, culture, history, beaches, tradition within a fun, sophisticated, laid back atmosphere.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post

Montreal
Quebec City
Toronto
Vancouver
IDK ...Saskatoon is kinda nice, it's been sometimes called "Paris of the Prairies"

How many of these so called "international travelers" are itching to see US cities
like Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, or even St. Louis or Detroit?

Anyway, I really like Canada's second tier smaller cities, they have their charms too.
Cities like, Victoria, Halifax, St. john's, and even fast growing Kelowna

Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
IDK ...Saskatoon is kinda nice, it's been sometimes called "Paris of the Prairies"

How many of these so called "international travelers" are itching to see US cities
like Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, or even St. Louis or Detroit?

Anyway, I really like Canada's second tier smaller cities, they have their charms too.
Cities like, Victoria, Halifax, St. john's, and even fast growing Kelowna
Canadas largest cities Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal don't even come close to the largest cities in China and the United States.
Toronto is usually compared to Chicago, and some people rank Chicago the number 3 city in the United States.

Saskatoon is comparable to Omaha.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:53 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Canadas largest cities Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal don't even come close to the largest cities in China and the United States.
Toronto is usually compared to Chicago, and some people rank Chicago the number 3 city in the United States.

Saskatoon is comparable to Omaha.
Well, in terms of sheer size, generally no country will be comparable to the cities of India and China--those countries simply have much larger populations and with many more cities of enormous size. There's simply no comparison size-wise.

I think Canada does well for its population and really puts a lot more concentration on its cities rather than its suburbs. I think if the US hadn't gone on its destructive path in its inner cities from the mid 20th century onwards (looking at old pictures of how bustling city neighborhoods of Buffalo, St. Louis, and others used to be is enlightening), and only recently starting to reverse course, then the US would have a really solid number one ranking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World