Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: USA, More like...? (people)
Germanic Europeans 87 65.91%
Latin Europeans 15 11.36%
Other (specify) 30 22.73%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:23 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
A perverse fascination maybe, but an "unspoken allegiance?"
A wide swath of Americans consider the British royals to be the ultimate standard of class and elegance in the world.

It is the only royal family that most Americans even know anything about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 03:47 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Maybe this thread can sound a bit stupid but I explain why I ask this question. It is more about personalities.

USA is supposed to have a "germanic culture" I write into commas because maybe cultures are mixed there, but I was thinking about the English heritage. I don't talk about features and people ethnics because I couldn't say "this person is American" just tooking at them lol.

Before travelling to USA for first time in 2011 I always expected that people (yeah, this thread is more about people) would be more like germanic Europe, I mean by personality, serious, colder, indoor people etc. I expected Americans to be more like British, Swedes, Irish etc.

But I was surprised that I found them more like latin european people: easygoing, warm, enjoying moments, and people who love enjoying moments without forgetting serious things of life of course, people like Italians, French, Spaniards Portuguese etc.

Later in 2011 I travelled to other State and I had the same feeling, yeah, people are more like us. I mean, I am from Spain and I find Americans to be more like me than British for example.

My question is for all these United Statians in the forum, especially the ones who have travelled to Europe or who know European people, Do you feel you have more similarities with North Europeans or with South Europeans??

European people who know Americans can vote of course.

Great question!

I think it depends on the region of the U.S. Really, only the Midwest has that strong German element. Outside of the Midwest, I think I read that parts of Texas actually has some strong German element to it.

British? I can't think of anywhere in the U.S. with British feel.

LATIN...well, there are a lot of Italians in the East Coast, and tons of Latinos in Southern Florida, and tons of Mexicans throughout the Southwest and Southern California.

In short, the U.S. is so huge, and it really varies significantly from area to area. So, I would say that large parts of the U.S. probably do feel quite Latin-like, and other huge parts of the U.S., feel quite Germanic as well.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:07 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
British? I can't think of anywhere in the U.S. with British feel.
Check out Georgetown University in Washington, DC. East coast cities have a lot of this kind of architecture.

http://wallpapercave.com/wp/1nv9Kl3.jpg

Old 02-02-2016, 04:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Check out Georgetown University in Washington, DC. East coast cities have a lot of this kind of architecture.

http://wallpapercave.com/wp/1nv9Kl3.jpg
Yeah, the rowhomes.

I was thinking in terms of people though....

Most of the Deep South was of British and Scottish origins...but it doesn't have any British feel to it at all...

Old 02-03-2016, 02:45 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Sorry to break it to you, but most white Americans do not have African American heritage and even less have Native American. There have been DNA studies done on this.
Define "white".

There are people who identify as Native American because they had a Native great-grandmother, but physically they look white. They are, for all intents and purposes, white.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:17 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,108,723 times
I think the British and Irish share the closest bond with New Zealand, Australia, now Poland, more, matey, pubby, have some beers, strong women, good at sport and music and generally polite but can be fiery and rowdy if pushed, basically not sneaky and arrogant, ( not sure about Canada-poss Western Canada included) and Europe, not really North America, or Asia.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:20 PM

The American South get a bad press on CD but also have very strong British Isles connections, with ancestry and music and folk. ( apart from religion and gritz)

Old 02-03-2016, 02:38 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,951 times
Easy way to look at it :

The Celts Germans and Anglos brought a hard work ethic, making dreams of a better life a reality, strong family values, natural leaders, personal accountability, hearty food and a beer at nighttime to warm the spirits

Hispanics/Latinos are naturally bereft of the uber work ethic displayed by the ones above. Maybe more superficial and less "deep" by comparison. More prone to engage in silliness ala Mexican soap operas. Very very emotional along with a fair degree of childishness. Naturally submissive. Less personal accountability. Strong family values ala "my cousin said this and my other cousin said that". All day siesta mindset. Never building of their own accord and always settling for placing the blame for their own woes on others. Hot blooded and hot spicy foods. Tequilla

Old 02-03-2016, 02:55 PM

LOL, Scirocco, HaHa, your post has cheered me up... when we go to Italy for our Hols, I do bring my Celtic/British look, Dark hairy chest, fair skin, can only say 5 words of Italian ( There is a lot of Latin in the English language- thank you Romans) but gel with the Italians ( Tuscany) love them, it would be boring if humans spoke the same language.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:15 PM

102,223 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I think I know what you are asking about, and in spite of some differences with Northern Europeans, American culture is indeed in its core a Northern European culture; to be more exact- heavily modified British culture. ( Heavily modified in order to be more inclusive that is.)
That's why some Europeans are questioning excessive ( in their point of view) American smiling and superficiality of certain traits in Americans.
I had a strange thought that entered my mind once, that American culture ( being a younger state) is an attempt to mimic Russia, because this combination of "Northern" and "Southern" traits is the essence of Russian culture, actually.
I would definitely agree with all this.

As to the North vs. South thing, it makes sense, if you think about it; northern climes will always have colder, in some cases--rainier, weather, while southern areas will always be sunnier, cheerier. Except for the reverse, on the other side of the equator, perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World