Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: USA, More like...? (people)
Germanic Europeans 87 65.91%
Latin Europeans 15 11.36%
Other (specify) 30 22.73%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 PM

25 posts, read 20,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf87 View Post
You must be joking. I am Swedish myself, and have lived in Germany,Holland, Spain and UK. A lot of girls in Sweden (90%) dye their hair bleach blonde. Its disgusting.

Most of Germany I found really dark hair colour wise. Holland was a mixed bag too, although northern Holland was blonder to me, although not as blonde as my home. England to me seemed to be perfectly on par with Northern Germany/Holland. I am a woman and can easily tell who is fake and who is real, and let me tell you, most girls in Germany who were blonde are fake. In England, although some do dye their hair, I found more natural blondes. And this is coming from an ethnic Swede. I am not blonde, and I certainly am not tall. I am sick of people spreading lies.

If you knew your history you would also know Norse Vikings/Danes/Saxons are a huge part of what makes English people English.

To me from my REAL perspective of blondes in rankings:

1- Scandinavia (even though most people dye their hair)
2. Holland (Frisian genes)
3. England (Danelaw, Saxons, Normans, Norse vikings etc)
4. North Germany (People here look just like English and Dutch people)

I will also add some extra here. You seem to be a little bit confused when it comes to diving Britain. For sure, Scotland, Wales and Ireland are less blonde than Germany, but England I would say is a little bit more than Germany perfectly on par with Holland. I love both as my husband is Dutch, and a red head.

Also this study shows something pretty insane:

https://www.welt.de/wissenschaft/art...-Germanen.html

Just to give you some indication, the latest ancestry.com study shows that British people are on average 38% Anglo Saxon, and 10% Scandinavian. If you ask me that is a lot more than the average German. I never felt too home at Germany, and this is probably why. In England I feel more at home, and my Danish cousin sometimes even tells me he feels he is back in Denmark as a lot of towns end in -by and sound very Danish!

Ancient genomes reveal that the English are one third Anglo-Saxon | News | University of Central Lancashire

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/...nic-diversity/

I just wish this whole anti-British sentiment thing would drop.

One thing I will say. A lot of pigmentation studies have shown England specifically to be lighter haired and eyed than Germany. Only Northern Germany and Holland come close. Obviously where I come from you would expect slightly more lightness but its not that dramatic. Also a lot of photos posted here in this site in general of blondes are FAKE blondes. Please if you can't tell the difference don't post them as you are only deluding yourself.

Yes, I agree. For natural blondes, England is comparable to the Netherlands , Northern Germany, Northern Poland, but England is lighter-eyed, more blue-eyed than Germany and Poland as a whole. Though Schleswig Holstein (Germany) is blonder than most counties in England and provinces in the Netherlands, this is understandable for Schleswig-Holstein was Danish for a longer time than it was German, probably a stronger Scandinavian cast. Scotland, Wales are somewhat less blond but more light-eyed again, especially Scotland. The rest of Northern Germany is quite similar. However the frequency Scandinavian genes in Germany and England are similar anyway, with a little difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
alf 87 sounds like Saxonwold. lol.
Hardly anyone I know has light hair, (unless bleached), most Englishmen have brown hair ( or no hair), we are mostly Brythonic Britons ( 70%) with an addition of Roman, Norse ,Angle/Saxon ( 30%), also Irish migration into Britain 19c has made the English even more Celtic. Name me an English footballer who looks like Dennis Bergkamp ,Marco Van Basten, Lothar Mattheas, Oliver Kahn, Bastien Schweinsteiger, not to mention Louis Van Gaal and that other Dutch manager. The nearest is Harry Kane who is fair haired , could pass as Danish,but he has part Irish blood ( with poss Viking ancestry). Please no more posts on how the English look Dutch and German ( more French I would say)

Yes indeed most Englishmen have brown hair, but so do most Dutchmen and Germans. Dutchmen and Germans are not Scandinavians by any means. Are you truly an English person? You have clearly forgotten English people such as Ben Bridle-Card, Brian Summerskill, Darren Holden, Peter Crouch, Bobby Moore, Alan Shearer, Jake Abbott, Shearingham, Will Hughes, James Haskell, Jonny Wilkinson, Billy Twelvetress, Dan Cole, Lewis Holtby, Ben Mee, Rory Hamilton Brown, Stuart Meeker, Andrew Flintoff and so on are all fair-haired folks.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:40 PM

The USA is a very diverse nation but based on a Germanic model or foundation brought from its early founding fathers who mostly came England. So it would lean more towards Germanic Europe.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:36 AM

505 posts, read 393,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I don't know what you mean by "people". If it mean something how do people look or act I don't think it is possible to make any generalisation because of the multiples "ethnic" communities that share this territory. The major contributing country of US population was Germany. But the US mainstream culture is in my opinion still very Anglo-rooted, hence germanic. The language, the dominant religion is protestantism, many "typical American" foods are still British, as well as the traditional American architectural styles are often Derived from Anglish styles. There is a much more serious attitude to law and rules than in many latin countries. The American culture is also very work and business oriented.

That said, the whole country new and quickly changing with growing minorities (especially with the growing latin American population).

Americans are still anchored in many ways in the 15th and 16th centuries, so when they talk about "Germanic Europe" they are talking about religion, reformation. After all, the country was founded by religious refugees fleeing from moderate protestants or from the Inquisition.

Even so, I think that a Swede would feel more at home in Andalusia than in Minnessota because America is, after all, an isolated calvinist society that has developed differently.

Americans are Americans.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:11 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
I don't understand why so many Americans want the attention to Americans/US. This forum is about the world, so stop the narcissism and keep talking about yourself.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
'White Americans' do not look 'different' to 'white Europeans'!! You will find there is a multitude of 'looks' in BOTH, if they are somehow 'different' I would like to know how exactly!?

That's true. They're not different, but they are overall more overweight. While Europeans are as a rule leaner than Americans. Not all, but most.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
Americans are still anchored in many ways in the 15th and 16th centuries, so when they talk about "Germanic Europe" they are talking about religion, reformation. After all, the country was founded by religious refugees fleeing from moderate protestants or from the Inquisition.

Even so, I think that a Swede would feel more at home in Andalusia than in Minnessota because America is, after all, an isolated calvinist society that has developed differently.

Americans are Americans.

America's foundations were laid on Protestantism. Many religious refugees (Puritans, Quakers, Mennonites, Hugenots, Jews etc...) made America their new home fleeing the persecution they had in the Old World (Europe). This is what made America stand out from other nations.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
American Indians of pure stock resemble Japanese, they are closer to Japanese than Chinese.
But Amerindian culture has not much relation with Japanese culture.
The same happens between Europe and the US.
The US was created as a rebuke, a total rejection of European society 220 years ago, so there are not many contact points.
There are countries colonized by Europe whose system, phylosophy is far closer.

Indigenous Americans/Amerindians were more similar to people of Northern Siberia than Japanese (East Asians). Amerindians despite having their origin some twenty thousands years ago from Siberia, they had been long enough in the Americas to develop their own distinct genetic type (Native American). If you want to know whom they resembled, you only have to look at Mexicans, Central Americans and others in Latin America.
Looking at the genetic make-up of some groups in the Americas:
* Highland Peruvian (Peru) genome.
95% (Native American)
2% (Southern Europe)
2% (Finland and Northern Siberia)
These are indigenous groups living in the Peruvian Andes. These folks are predominantly Native American with small admixtures of southern European (Spanish/Portuguese colonialists). They have some a small Siberian genetic component which reflects the distinct connection with Northeast Asians. This throughout indigenous Americans in both American continents.
*Amerindian (Mexico)
87% (Native American)
5% (Finland & Northern Finland)
4% (Southern Europe)
2%(Western and Central Africa)

Old 08-19-2017, 10:46 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
They dress differently to people in Europe and have a different mentality. I don't think Americans are like either group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World