Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

I'm just imagining the day the US either loses superpower status or has to share it with China or anyone else. The paranoia and propaganda coming out of this country will be off the charts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 11:37 AM

181 posts, read 303,032 times
But that doesn't answer my question.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
I don't think there will be any superpowers, just several great powers, perhaps with the US being the 'greatest among equals', due to its widespread influence of culture and it having a far more powerful military than any country ever has had, and likely ever will have. China's military may be big, but it lacks the training and equipment to make it comparable to ours, or even Russia's (who has the second strongest military, but still lags quite a bit behind the US).

Not to mention, China is surrounded by enemies. India, especially, wants to stop its rise. India's navy is far more capable than China's, especially since it has built its own aircraft carrier recently, and China still hasn't.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:51 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Depends on their future growth. I think they're still in the same tier as Japan, Germany, and such. They need a government reform too, I cant understand their take on communism when they're such a capitalist country.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:57 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
China is what is known as a Potemkin village, a paper tiger really. I can't wait to see the looks on people's faces when the whole People's Republic comes tumbling down by 2020.
I wouldn't call them a paper tiger. In the last 2 years, they've launched an aircraft carrier, demonstrated their new fleet of silent submarines can travel among the US carrier fleets undetected, and have deployed super fast missiles that are a real threat to our navy. They have also been buying lots of high tech military equipment from Russia. Their GDP is close to second best in the world, last time I checked.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:23 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Napolean once said of China:"Let her sleep, for when she wakes, she will shake the world"

Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,166,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I don't think there will be any superpowers, just several great powers, perhaps with the US being the 'greatest among equals', due to its widespread influence of culture and it having a far more powerful military than any country ever has had, and likely ever will have. China's military may be big, but it lacks the training and equipment to make it comparable to ours, or even Russia's (who has the second strongest military, but still lags quite a bit behind the US).

Not to mention, China is surrounded by enemies. India, especially, wants to stop its rise. India's navy is far more capable than China's, especially since it has built its own aircraft carrier recently, and China still hasn't.
But will the US always be able to spend exponentially more than the rest of the world on its military? Probably not. Economy matters.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:38 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,211,665 times
I think that the US will still spend more than other countries, regardless if it 'can'. I do think things will deteriorate in China and get better in the US. But again, there are several enemy countries surrounding China that will stop or counter it. India and Japan are the most capable and probable out of those nations. If China and Japan were to get into a naval battle, Japan would put China to shame.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Kinda depends on your definition of what constitutes a super power,they seem to be the worlds top gun in production/manufacturing,Militarily they may not have 5000 nuclear ICBM's but i doubt any one will take em out in a ground war.Is China a super power? i believe they are.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:20 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,232 times
China was a world power long before the US even existed as a nation and remains a world power, in terms of super power it all depends how you define super power. China is already a global manufacturing and economic hub, and in terms of military capability I am quite sure a major war involving the Chinese could see the end of our little planet as we know it. So yes they are a super power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World