Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
New York 17 47.22%
London 8 22.22%
Paris 11 30.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:33 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Don't answer this if you live in the US, UK or France...

I would say here it's probably New York City...sure many go to London, but it just seems people get more excited about New York City due to the American media and whatnot. When I tell people I've been to NYC they just sound really excited and go on about how much they want to visit. I think even from a young age it's the city I wanted to go to more than any other. Even most who express little interest in going to the US want to go there. London probably seems the least 'exciting' of the 3, with Paris having a magic of it's own...

Last edited by The Postman; 11-23-2013 at 04:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 04:29 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Things have changed in the Philippines. I remember when I young the old movies from the 40's always talked about going to Madrid, now, everything is America.
I think most Filipinos want to go to California. It's not on the list, but I think it is the favourite of most Filipinos. I guess it is because there are so many Filipinos in California, and people back home get influenced with what they hear.
As for me, my favourite is Paris, Sevilla and Granada.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:34 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Dream of visiting? New York City for sure.
Those that really want to visit London/Paris just go there, it's only 5-7 hours by car.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Things have changed in the Philippines. I remember when I young the old movies from the 40's always talked about going to Madrid, now, everything is America.
I think most Filipinos want to go to California. It's not on the list, but I think it is the favourite of most Filipinos. I guess it is because there are so many Filipinos in California, and people back home get influenced with what they hear.
As for me, my favourite is Paris, Sevilla and Granada.
LA seems to get very mixed responses here: either derision (plastic, Hollywood, ugly sprawl) or interest in the rather superficial side of film stars and whatnot. SF has a more positive reputation overall.

More Australians make the 'pilgrimage' to London (funny to think our head of state, the Queen, lives on the other side of the world) but NYC just has that 'wow factor.' London is a city which doesn't utterly amaze you all in one go, it's a city you slowly 'drink in.'

Old 11-23-2013, 07:07 AM

242 posts, read 368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
LA seems to get very mixed responses here: either derision (plastic, Hollywood, ugly sprawl) or interest in the rather superficial side of film stars and whatnot. SF has a more positive reputation overall.

More Australians make the 'pilgrimage' to London (funny to think our head of state, the Queen, lives on the other side of the world) but NYC just has that 'wow factor.' London is a city which doesn't utterly amaze you all in one go, it's a city you slowly 'drink in.'
Ew LA, its full of marijunna and Asian gangsters roaming the streets. I will say once you go to LA you just see so many celebrities there and actors, its crazy, go to a random restaurant in Culver City or near Sunset and I Guarantee you, you will see someone you know. Its also extremely easy to make friends there compared to how tough it is to make friends in cities like Toronto and Chicago.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:40 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Don't answer this if you live in the US, UK or France...

I would say here it's probably New York City...sure many go to London, but it just seems people get more excited about New York City due to the American media and whatnot. When I tell people I've been to NYC they just sound really excited and go on about how much they want to visit. I think even from a young age it's the city I wanted to go to more than any other. Even most who express little interest in going to the US want to go there. London probably seems the least 'exciting' of the 3, with Paris having a magic of it's own...
Most Australians I've come across on these forums seem to indicate they feel the greatest connection with west coast cities in the United States.

It's kind of interesting that you talk up New York City (and London, Paris) - and I agree with you.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Most Australians I've come across on these forums seem to indicate they feel the greatest connection with west coast cities in the United States.

It's kind of interesting that you talk up New York City (and London, Paris) - and I agree with you.
Well yes, California has a more similar culture/climate and it's the closest part of the US to Australia. Also Hollywood and media exposure. San Diego felt pretty Australian, gum trees and all. Many Australians have only been to the west coast of the US.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:29 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Why can't I answer? Most people here don't dream of going to London because they can go whenever they want. Paris is easy to reach too. I'd say New York, but maybe LA too. Or Miami. Basically New York or any city in the US that has a reputation for being warm with lots of famous rich people.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
In order, for Americans, Orlando, Las Vegas, Branson.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Why can't I answer? Most people here don't dream of going to London because they can go whenever they want. Paris is easy to reach too. I'd say New York, but maybe LA too. Or Miami. Basically New York or any city in the US that has a reputation for being warm with lots of famous rich people.
Well because I assume a great majority of British people have already been to London, so it doesn't seem as big a deal to visit. It's also a lot closer. Maybe someone from the western US might mythologise NYC more though. I suppose London seems to have the least pull of the 3, for some reason. I've actually always thought that while a great city, it had a certain blandness to it. Paris sort of has that romance/style/culture, and NYC is THE urban jungle with a ton of famous sights, while London has been, until recently, seen as a rather staid if important city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World