Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 PM

156 posts, read 287,506 times

Advertisements

Alright, this topic might sound like a no-brainer but coming from an Asian country, I cannot cross the psychological threshold of stepping into the house with shoes on. If I'm done wearing shoes and had forgotten to take something from the bedroom, I would unlace those things or tip-toe as quick as I can to get whatever I need and tip-toe on the double back out!

The reason why I'm asking is because I watch American shows while growing up and all I remember are people who jump onto the bed with their shoes on. They'll then roll around on their pillows and duvets. And come nightfall, they sleep on the same bed.

How's it like where you live? Do you leave the shoes by the door when you enter the house or do you continue wearing them no matter how soiled they are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 09:35 PM

934 posts, read 1,128,667 times
I never have developed that habit. I usually wear slipper inside, but don't take off my shoes when entering. I don't really have a place to leave the shoes anyway.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:34 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Off!
It would be rude to step into someones home with shoes on.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:47 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Always on, but people usually change them for flip flops only in their own homes, in other people's home is very rude to take one's shoes off (unless owners tell you)

On the bed always off of course.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:47 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Definitely off. I find it ridiculous to leave shoes on inside the house and I grew up in the states. I think current trends in the US have more and more people taking shoes off upon entering the house but it was definitely an oddity when I was growing up.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Definitely off! I don't want dirt from outside all over my floors and anyway its more comfortable to be in socks or bare feet at home.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:50 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,621,647 times
On, unless I'm not leving the house until bed time.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Both. I'll wear shoes indoors, unless they are covered in mud or something, but also barefoot or in socks. After a long day of walking many miles (5+), I'll want to get my shoes off as quickly as possible.

I do not expect other people to take their shoes off in my home - that would be weird to me. I've also never been asked to take my shoes off when going into anyone's home.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:01 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
Alright, this topic might sound like a no-brainer but coming from an Asian country, I cannot cross the psychological threshold of stepping into the house with shoes on. If I'm done wearing shoes and had forgotten to take something from the bedroom, I would unlace those things or tip-toe as quick as I can to get whatever I need and tip-toe on the double back out!

The reason why I'm asking is because I watch American shows while growing up and all I remember are people who jump onto the bed with their shoes on. They'll then roll around on their pillows and duvets. And come nightfall, they sleep on the same bed.

How's it like where you live? Do you leave the shoes by the door when you enter the house or do you continue wearing them no matter how soiled they are?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach
I never have developed that habit. I usually wear slipper inside, but don't take off my shoes when entering. I don't really have a place to leave the shoes anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Definitely off! I don't want dirt from outside all over my floors and anyway its more comfortable to be in socks or bare feet at home.
Agreed, the shoes, boots, or flip-flops certainly come off in our home whether it is at the front door entrance (which we rarely ever use) to our home, the side door, or back door. I will say that having a mudroom, hallway, or stair landing to remove them and leave them makes it very convenient for people to accomplish this. This is how we were raised...a very long time ago, and in America.

We would never sit on furniture or our beds with our shoes on.

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 01-04-2014 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-04-2014, 05:05 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
This is true integration! Definitely off. As I've said before, if you leave them on you'll vacuum the floor before you leave.

Ok, I wear flip-flops inside frequently, but they aren't "outside" shoes, as I only walk inside with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World