Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 02:44 PM

545 posts, read 866,660 times

Advertisements

But if you've got a kid I don't see the problem to keep its shoes. Yes it's a bit more dirty than taking them off. But if you use your doormat, clean your floor regularly and take them off when they are really dirty (like very wet or you walked on mud or poo, etc) the difference will be insignificant.
You don't care about this when you are barefoot on the beach, on the grass, etc. Our feet were made to live in the wild nature so as long as you don't lick your floor or you feet, keeping shoes inside won't affect you.
Do you change your jeans as well ? 'Cause you know.. Those seats outside your home aren't clean either. Do none of you have a cat or a dog ? 'Cause they put their dirty butt everywhere. Do you have your toilets inside the bathroom ? 'Cause each time you flush your toilets, even with the toilet bowl down, dirty particles fly everywhere in the room, it's quite scary to know the amount of pee and poop particles on a toothbrush in those bathrooms.

I understand why in some places it became a tradition, like cold countries where snow and mud are very common. Or Japan or middle-east where people live directly on the ground. But in a standard Western city it only shows how much some people care about their carpets.
I don't mind taking them off if you ask me to, but I won't ask you in my home. I don't really like feet's odours btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 02:59 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did Wiki forget Germany? Liechtenstein? Switzerland? Italy? Portugal? Ireland? Or are some of those classified as "Central Europe" now?? But still, what about Portugal and Ireland?
I forgot to mention Portugal and Ireland! Don't get all nitpicky!

And yes, Germany, Switzerland and Liechtenstein count as Central Europe.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
If you are a person who cleans the corners of the bathroom with a q-tip and that's what your mind is preoccupied with - the cleanliness of your carpets and the shine of you china,
There's a huge difference between being a neat freak/germaphobe and not having any issue with having human vomit, human excrement, human mucus, dog excrement and other goodies on your floors. And, if you ever accidentally walk on those floors with socked or bare feet and put those feet on the bed or couch, bam, you have traces of excrement and partially digested food on your bed and couch.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:10 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
There's a huge difference between being a neat freak/germaphobe and not having any issue with having human vomit, human excrement, human mucus, dog excrement and other goodies on your floors. And, if you ever accidentally walk on those floors with socked or bare feet and put those feet on the bed or couch, bam, you have traces of excrement and partially digested food on your bed and couch.
Being worried and preoccupied by invisible poo molecules strikes me as being a clean freak.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes.
It means you are immediately imposing your rules onto your guest, which is rude.
You have to leave it up to your guest to figure such things out and ask whether this is the house where the shoes should be taken off or not. So it should be in the guest's court, not yours.
So how come while you are invited "onto a high dollar boat or yacht" you don't seem to know the basic etiquette rules?
Wait a moment there; I'm the one who mentioned the etiquette regarding boats and you deflect that back as me somehow not knowing the etiquette, how does that work?

So how come nautical etiquette of expecting shoe removal is acceptable to you but not homeowners requesting removal of shoes? Duuh?

Old 02-09-2014, 03:17 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,805,277 times
i thought not wearing shoes indoors was common sense

Old 02-09-2014, 03:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
For those who think it's weird to remove your shows at the door, this is why most of us in Canada remove our shoes.

All this gunk came off the bottom of my boots. It's basically a puddle of water from the snow plus all the road salt and dirt/gravel people on the sidewalks to prevent slipping. The treads of my boots are very deep and the snow with all the dirt get stuck in between them. The only way it comes out is when the snow melts. I can't imagine walking around my house with those on getting my carpet wet and salty.
Yes, who wants a combination of mud with rock salt in their house?! Icky stains, I've floors stained. I wouldn't wear my shoes in my house because I don't want to mess it up, I'd expect others to do the same. Most people I know don't want people to wear their shoes inside in the winter, rest of the year caring is less common.

Last edited by nei; 02-09-2014 at 03:34 PM..

Old 02-09-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Being worried and preoccupied by invisible poo molecules strikes me as being a clean freak.
Oh right; now it's down to some name calling. One need not be a clean freak to object to someone entering their home to track the crap from the local public washroom or sidewalk onto a carpet for a toddler to later crawl through.

And no I don't clean the corners of my washroom with a Q-tip as you surmised earlier.

We can reduce this to a to and fro of who is the anal retentive one about the 'removal' or 'leaving on' if you so choose but, how would that be productive?

It was the way I was brought up by my Anglo Saxon parents and their parents before them I suppose. They knew better than to assume it was fine to track crap into other peoples homes and passed that down.

Respect: a word sadly lacking in this exchange.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh right; now it's down to some name calling. One need not be a clean freak to object to someone entering their home to track the crap from the local public washroom or sidewalk onto a carpet for a toddler to later crawl through.

And no I don't clean the corners of my washroom with a Q-tip as you surmised earlier.

We can reduce this to a to and fro of who is the anal retentive one about the 'removal' or 'leaving on' if you so choose but, how would that be productive?

It was the way I was brought up by my Anglo Saxon parents and their parents before them I suppose. They knew better than to assume it was fine to track crap into other peoples homes and passed that down.

Respect: a word sadly lacking in this exchange.
Settle down dear, it was just a joke. I don't care if you're worried about dirt you cannot see - that is your prerogative. You seem to be really bothered about what I do in my own house though. No toddlers come into my house either. None of my friends have children, thank goodness.

FWIW - I generally do not wear shoes indoors, although that isn't because I am really concerned about germs or dirt. I just don't like wearing shoes all day. However, I am not bothered either way. If it's been raining, or snowing, I will take my shoes off all the time, but otherwise, it isn't a big deal. It doesn't snow much here, so that generally isn't an issue. It isn't like I walk all over my house with shoes and boots covered in snow and mud.

Oh, and one last thing - I didn't say you cleaned your bathroom with Q-tips. That's what erasure said.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Settle down dear, it was just a joke. I don't care if you're worried about dirt you cannot see - that is your prerogative. You seem to be really bothered about what I do in my own house though. No toddlers come into my house either. None of my friends have children, thank goodness.

FWIW - I generally do not wear shoes indoors, although that isn't because I am really concerned about germs or dirt. I just don't like wearing shoes all day. However, I am not bothered either way. If it's been raining, or snowing, I will take my shoes off all the time, but otherwise, it isn't a big deal. It doesn't snow much here, so that generally isn't an issue. It isn't like I walk all over my house with shoes and boots covered in snow and mud.

Oh, and one last thing - I didn't say you cleaned your bathroom with Q-tips. That's what erasure said.
I'm not your dear and now you're being more than slightly patronizing wouldn't you agree?

No one suggested you walked all over your house treating it like a barn.

We can agree on the importance of each others foot apparel indoors; neither of us gives a rat's azz about the others footwear habits. We're cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World