Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 11:37 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,731,150 times

Advertisements

Multiculturalism aside - Tokyo is undoubtedly on par with London and NYC. It's an amazing city...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 02:24 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,025,340 times
Yiddish inflected syntax?

Old 12-27-2017, 09:39 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
I still haven’t stepped in Tokyo. However, I am expecting to be blown away by it when I visit. I was in New York City again for Christmas, and I have to say it is a hard act to follow. 57th Steet is the home of the gods.

Make sure you impress me Tokyo.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:03 PM

801 posts, read 1,514,912 times
It may not get talked about as much daily like the other two, but I definitely think it's on the same level.

Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,483,937 times
they need to speak english

Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,975,458 times
Yes, it is on the level of New York and London.

The three comprise of the 3 most important cities on Earth. Though importance is something we discuss here on the Internet and probably could care less about in real life since it does next to nothing to enhance a personal experience somewhere. You'll find it that all three cities most certainly pack the necessary heat to offer as much to any local or visitor as any city in the world possibly can.

Simply put, if you cant get your fill in London or Tokyo, you'd likely be an extremely hard person to satisfy. Either that or you might not be that much into big bustling cities. That being said, "tiering" is not important. What is important is what each place has to offer and how much each place can satisfy you, whether you are a local or a visitor. Living in London and in the process of moving to Tokyo in the not too distant future and having just returned earlier this morning from my first trip to Japan, I can only speak for myself when I say that I'm quite satisfied with Tokyo and London. Very content with what they have to offer, Tokyo is like a maze, you can find your niche effortlessly there if you're open minded enough. Though for me personally, it wasn't hard at all, since childhood I've been into Japanese entertainment, media, and customs. So it was like a sizable glove fitting on my hand in perfect motion, the way it was always meant to be.

Wouldn't really have it any other way to be honest.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:37 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Yes, it is on the level of New York and London.

The three comprise of the 3 most important cities on Earth. Though importance is something we discuss here on the Internet and probably could care less about in real life since it does next to nothing to enhance a personal experience somewhere. You'll find it that all three cities most certainly pack the necessary heat to offer as much to any local or visitor as any city in the world possibly can.

Simply put, if you cant get your fill in London or Tokyo, you'd likely be an extremely hard person to satisfy. Either that or you might not be that much into big bustling cities. That being said, "tiering" is not important. What is important is what each place has to offer and how much each place can satisfy you, whether you are a local or a visitor. Living in London and in the process of moving to Tokyo in the not too distant future and having just returned earlier this morning from my first trip to Japan, I can only speak for myself when I say that I'm quite satisfied with Tokyo and London. Very content with what they have to offer, Tokyo is like a maze, you can find your niche effortlessly there if you're open minded enough. Though for me personally, it wasn't hard at all, since childhood I've been into Japanese entertainment, media, and customs. So it was like a sizable glove fitting on my hand in perfect motion, the way it was always meant to be.

Wouldn't really have it any other way to be honest.
Does Tokyo have a similar variety in ethnic foods as you'd find in New York City? What's the pizza like in Tokyo?

Old 01-04-2018, 02:53 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,975,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Does Tokyo have a similar variety in ethnic foods as you'd find in New York City?
Nope and it doesn't need to either. That's New York's advantage as New York is the city that is an explosion of culinary variety, however Tokyo has its own set advantages too.

Japanese food by itself is some of the best in the world and Tokyo, by itself, is a culinary powerhouse. Albeit Japanese food might not be for everyone, in that case, one could simply make due with the variety of other options that are available to them. That option exists and is there for all to exploit, should they need it. Those varieties include, but are not limited to, French, Italian, at least 3 styles of Chinese, both North and South Indian, as well as Korean. Not as numerous to find as the aforementioned cuisines but Thai food is there too, I personally had that 3 times in my stay there. Of course you can find "Americanized" stuff as well too, including but not limited to; pizzas, hotdogs, ice cream, and the like. That's not hard to find at all.

What's special about Tokyo's culinary scene is in how fresh and healthy the food is prepared, which is reflective of its local population in and of itself as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
What's the pizza like in Tokyo?
I didn't get the opportunity to try any pizza but according to what I can find online, it appears to be constantly evolving, which is great:

https://www.eater.com/2017/2/21/1467...za-tokyo-guide

They seem to have developed their own Neopolitan style. I'll have to keep this in mind for things to try out when I move there in about 6 weeks.

Old 01-05-2018, 01:33 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,025,340 times
The Big Sashimi rules!

Old 01-05-2018, 01:56 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times
Tokyo is far superior to London and New York in a ton of aspects. It's a far nicer place to live than those two, the rent is so much cheaper and the crime rate is like a billion times lower it's not even funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World