Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:23 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's really not correct

Try telling a Colombian they're basically the same as a Bolivian. They'll break your nose.
I didn't say they same, but are you seriously saying Japan and Israel are about as different as Peru and Argentina? I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:23 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Yes, there is alot of ethnic and cultural difference among Latin Americans, but there is also many similarities. If you look at the way most middle class Latinos live, there is not awhole lot of difference from country to country. Often they share the same values and out look on life. They speak with different accents but the language is the same, religion is mostly the same. People don't listen to music from their own country only, certain music is listened to everywhere.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 PM

^ I'm familiar with the Anglosphere nations, been to all except Canada. Sure, the differences are noticeable, especially between the Commonwealth and the US, but I feel people in general tend to overrate differences and forget the similarities. Our common British heritage (from law, politics, cuisine, culture) and social customs. Australia and New Zealand are very similar. Just because someone gets angry being mistaken for another nation does not mean they are so different from that other country. Sure we make fun of each other, but it's like sibling squabbling, since we're so close. I suspect the same could be said of the Hispanic nations. A Chilean and a Venezeulan might say 'ola' when they're in Thailand and immediately feel common ground with each other.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:28 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes, there is alot of ethnic and cultural difference among Latin Americans, but there is also many similarities. If you look at the way most middle class Latinos live, there is not awhole lot of difference from country to country. Often they share the same values and out look on life. They speak with different accents but the language is the same, religion is mostly the same. People don't listen to music from their own country only, certain music is listened to everywhere.

Definitely, but you definitely cannot lump them all together. The are all different and have different cultures.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Definitely, but you definitely cannot lump them all together. The are all different and have different cultures.
Do you understand the difference between similar and the same?

Old 01-25-2014, 06:40 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
I find often from talking to other Latinos, they don't like being lumped with other Latinos becuase they view certain countries as being poorer or of a lower class. Many latinos still think being more "white" is better, the funny thing about that is NO latin country is really well off as white as they might be they are all poor. In the end, we got most of culture from the Spanish. But the most interesting countries often have large percentage of Native ancestry and the best muisc by far comes from countries with large communities of people of African heritage. If it wasn't for these communities Latin America would be pretty unknown to the World.

Another thing middle and upper class latinos have in common is that they can be very superficial, arrogant and racist.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,372,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
However let's not get it twisted, there are still many blacks, mulattoes, mestizos, afromestizos, eurozambos, castizos, chinos, Indios, y judios(Jews) in Argentina. Argentina often hides the rest of it's diversity.
Where are you from? You usually claim the existence of many afro-argentines who are hidden due to some white pride or something but do you have any figures about the demography of Argentina?

Whites and mestizos are the predominant groups and make up over the 90% the population.

Jews, Arabs (mostly Syrio-Lebanese descents) and Armenian descents are always considered White and were never hidden. Inside the diverse mestizo group there are mixed-race people with African ancestry. According to some genetical studies, the amount of people with African markers is about 2-4%, which turned to be a surprisingly high number, but phenotypically only a small fraction has traits (usually mixed) and few see themselves as Afro-argentines.

Then the next racial group after the two aforementioned would be the amerindian, including native peoples and full descendants. There are many in the northwest of the country, but I guess its number has increased a lot lately due to Bolivian and Peruvian immigration, who settled mostly in Buenos Aires.

Finally we must count African and Asian descendants. There were a good number of Korean and Japanese people who migrated to Argentina many years ago, whereas many Chinese people are still coming. This diaspora in particular is becoming certainly numerous and very visible. Still, Asians and their descendants don't count very much statistically. Then, black people in Argentina. There are mulattoes and full black-argentines who come from many generations in the country, but very few. More commonly, black people in Argentina are mostly very recent immigrants from other Latin American countries and West Africa (especially Senegal).

A group that seems to be very rare in Argentina is people from the Indian Subcontinent, which is kind of strange considering all the diverse immigration.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:52 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ I'm familiar with the Anglosphere nations, been to all except Canada. Sure, the differences are noticeable, especially between the Commonwealth and the US, but I feel people in general tend to overrate differences and forget the similarities. Our common British heritage (from law, politics, cuisine, culture) and social customs. Australia and New Zealand are very similar. Just because someone gets angry being mistaken for another nation does not mean they are so different from that other country. Sure we make fun of each other, but it's like sibling squabbling, since we're so close. I suspect the same could be said of the Hispanic nations. A Chilean and a Venezeulan might say 'ola' when they're in Thailand and immediately feel common ground with each other.
But that's in terms of shared language. As I like to say, "they're similar, but they're also different".

The main thing though is that there is lots of mutual differences between nations that speak the same language.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:01 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,324,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Where are you from? You usually claim the existence of many afro-argentines who are hidden due to some white pride or something but do you have any figures about the demography of Argentina?

Whites and mestizos are the predominant groups and make up over the 90% the population.

Jews, Arabs (mostly Syrio-Lebanese descents) and Armenian descents are always considered White and were never hidden. Inside the diverse mestizo group there are mixed-race people with African ancestry. According to some genetical studies, the amount of people with African markers is about 2-4%, which turned to be a surprisingly high number, but phenotypically only a small fraction has traits (usually mixed) and few see themselves as Afro-argentines.

Then the next racial group after the two aforementioned would be the amerindian, including native peoples and full descendants. There are many in the northwest of the country, but I guess its number has increased a lot lately due to Bolivian and Peruvian immigration, who settled mostly in Buenos Aires.

Finally we must count African and Asian descendants. There were a good number of Korean and Japanese people who migrated to Argentina many years ago, whereas many Chinese people are still coming. This diaspora in particular is becoming certainly numerous and very visible. Still, Asians and their descendants don't count very much statistically. Then, black people in Argentina. There are mulattoes and full black-argentines who come from many generations in the country, but very few. More commonly, black people in Argentina are mostly very recent immigrants from other Latin American countries and West Africa (especially Senegal).

A group that seems to be very rare in Argentina is people from the Indian Subcontinent, which is kind of strange considering all the diverse immigration.
What do you mean, I usually claim?? Claim what? Please point specifically where I made such claims of Argentina and a hidden agenda due to white pride? Please quote me and where it was stated specifically please. I NEVER claimed that any population was hidden due to some white pride or white supremacy agenda. You were the one that mentioned that. All I said is that many people in Argentina and outside of Argentina hide that there are other aspects of Argentina that are often overlooked and that's due to lack of awareness or ignorance and obscurity.

According to an Afro-Argentine activist, it was estimated that there are more than 2 million Afro-Argentine/Afro-descendants living in Argentina. There are some other sources that said higher but of course new information and observations are always being released and collected. It's still a topic that requires great extensive research and travel etc.

Most Afro-Argentines are descendants of slaves and Africans that arrived during the colonial period, but mixing with other races has diluted and/or obscured their demographic presence. And yes there are significant numbers of Afrodescendants that have arrived into Argentina from Brazil, Cape Verde, and also people from Dominican Republic that have a stereotype of being prostitutes in Argentina or other reasons. Then there are people from the African nation that you mentioned.

There are also many Jewish descendants in Argentina from the colonial period but also from those that fled to escape persecution from Nazi Europe and Holocaust. There were also Nazis that fled to escape trials and consequences for their active participation in Nazism and World War 2 and many settled in Argentina. Then of course there were many Italians and Spaniards that came.

And then there are sizable numbers of Asian descendants. It's very diverse.

And then there are minorities of Native American descendants etc. Many have mixed in/and/or out with other racial and ethnic groups

My main point was that Argentina has diversity of other populations that are overlooked from outsiders from outside the region etc.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 01-25-2014 at 07:10 PM..

Old 01-25-2014, 07:12 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
She looks 50/50 Asian/European to me. People in Spain dont see her as Spanish, they see her as a Filipino.
I think Isabel Preysler looked more European when she was younger

I AM A FILIPINA: Isabel Preysler

Beatriz Arrastia Reynares ( Isabel Preysler's Mum)

GeneAll.net - Mara Beatriz Arrastia y Reynares

Julio Iglesias llegando a la boda de su hijo - Cultura - Ver imágenes INFORMATIVOS

Carlos Preysler y Perez de Tagle ( Isabel Preysler's Father )

GeneAll.net - Carlos Preysler y Prez de Tagle

Last edited by Hermosaa; 01-25-2014 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World