U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2014, 07:15 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,856 posts, read 1,608,424 times
Reputation: 551

Advertisements

Drop a note .. Fellow Singaporean here !!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2014, 02:54 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 18,935,855 times
Reputation: 2833
Me, by birth and on my mother's side though I came to Australia as a baby. I've been back at least a dozen times though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,856 posts, read 1,608,424 times
Reputation: 551
Well

Postman, i would at most consider you half a singaporean... You didnt go through our school system, and i suppose you didn't do NS as well ?

You know doing NS is very important to Sg males, many males will be casted out for not doing NS..

We had some foreign male MPs who never served NS, and will always be not accepted fully by our local community
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 03:10 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 18,935,855 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Well

Postman, i would at most consider you half a singaporean... You didnt go through our school system, and i suppose you didn't do NS as well ?

You know doing NS is very important to Sg males, many males will be casted out for not doing NS..

We had some foreign male MPs who never served NS, and will always be not accepted fully by our local community
Yes, I'm at most half-Singaporean. But now I'm a bit more accepting of that part of my identity now, or rather the fact I wasn't born in Australia. I might as well have been, however. I'm proud of our multicultural nature, our cuisine, the fact we mostly get along well (well 'we' as in Singaporeans, I know i'm not a 'real' Singaporean haha) and of course being a developed first world economy. There are still things about it that I'm not happy with.

Yes, I know...I renounced my citizenship when I turned 18, long after I'd take on Australian citizenship. Of course since I have no intention to live in Singapore or retain my citizenship there was no point doing NS.

I am still an outsider, although I have some idea of what goes on there by speaking to my relatives and some friends etc in Singapore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 03:34 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,856 posts, read 1,608,424 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, I'm at most half-Singaporean. But now I'm a bit more accepting of that part of my identity now, or rather the fact I wasn't born in Australia. I might as well have been, however. I'm proud of our multicultural nature, our cuisine, the fact we mostly get along well (well 'we' as in Singaporeans, I know i'm not a 'real' Singaporean haha) and of course being a developed first world economy. There are still things about it that I'm not happy with.

Yes, I know...I renounced my citizenship when I turned 18, long after I'd take on Australian citizenship. Of course since I have no intention to live in Singapore or retain my citizenship there was no point doing NS.

I am still an outsider, although I have some idea of what goes on there by speaking to my relatives and some friends etc in Singapore.
So you are the closest to a Singaporean besides me in this forum ? Ha Ha

Honestly i do really wish Singaporeans are less critical of our govt and the PRCs and Indian foreign workers in singapore.

We have our fair share of real ugly true blue born and bred singaporeans too !!! A Singaporean couple made headlines in Taiwan last year when they made a mess of their hotel room and refused to pay for the damages
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 03:51 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,856 posts, read 1,608,424 times
Reputation: 551
Hmm The Postman

Just wondering have you ever happened to be in SIngapore during 9 Aug NAtional Day ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 18,935,855 times
Reputation: 2833
There's lepillow, but I haven't heard from him in awhile.

So you're pretty happy with the government?

No, I haven't. Is it a big deal? With fireworks etc? Here there's a huge fireworks display on Australia day, 26 Jan, only a few days ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 06:28 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,856 posts, read 1,608,424 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
There's lepillow, but I haven't heard from him in awhile.

So you're pretty happy with the government?

No, I haven't. Is it a big deal? With fireworks etc? Here there's a huge fireworks display on Australia day, 26 Jan, only a few days ago.
Yes it is the biggest deal here after CHingay, CNY, we don't have fireworks for CNY only for jan 1 and national day..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 18,935,855 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Yes it is the biggest deal here after CHingay, CNY, we don't have fireworks for CNY only for jan 1 and national day..
Oh I had to look up Chingay, never heard of it. Sounds interesting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2014, 06:42 PM
 
Location: singapore
1,856 posts, read 1,608,424 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Oh I had to look up Chingay, never heard of it. Sounds interesting.
Yes and this feb when you are here CHingay happens to be on that weekend, don't miss it !!

Do you know Harry's son is now the boss of SIngapore ? Abt Goh Chok tong, he left PM seat because he was Ard 60+ that time and there was successor at hand .. If there was no successor he won't be able to retire

In Sg it is very impt to us PM must be of the right age , and Harry's son maybe got about 6-7 years to go .. But if there is no successor apparent, he can't retire !!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top