Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
LA's Metrolink was used by all walks of life. I saw many business people dressed in smart suits. The trains were clean, modern, and the stations were very clean and modern too.
Well the Metrolink system is relatively new and I believe they are trying to get more people to use public transportation as the volume of cars on the highways is very high. Getting stuck in traffic in the area is very easy even if the slightest thing goes wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 08:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I know Tokyo's subway system is very extensive. That's why I ranked Tokyo and London right up there with NYC but said NYC edges out for operating 24 hours, 365 days a week.

No need to be drawn to scale. You can count the number of lines and stops from the maps.

Somethings are less complicated than it appears.
Non-subway rail also counts. Tokyo has very mainline rail some parts with close to subway level frequencies. While NYC's subway is extensive, it's obvious there are some sections of the city that don't have particularly good transit access and more importantly getting outer borough jobs by transit is often clumsy.

Who Regional Rail is For | Pedestrian Observations

Tokyo’s CBD has about 2 million workers, the same as Downtown and Midtown Manhattan. The reason Tokyo has so much more rail ridership than New York is not a bigger downtown, or better airport service, but better rail service to secondary job centers, which themselves grow around train stations more closely than in New York. But Downtown Brooklyn, parts of Queens, and Downtown Newark at least already have the transit access, both by subway/PATH and by commuter rail. Present-day commuter rail just doesn’t provide good enough service to compete with parking rates and traffic jams outside Manhattan.

Also stop filling the thread with irrelevant junk.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:59 PM

294 posts, read 476,580 times
I always thought the combination of buses, the subway, and taxi's (bikes, walking, and other smaller vehicles too) are more convenient than owning a personal vehicle. Living in China for several years, I couldn't think of a time I wish I had a personal vehicle. Taxi's are everywhere, go virtually anywhere you want them to, and are cheap. The bus is probably the only thing I'd maybe associate with poor/poverty/student, but only if it was inconvenient for someone to use it.

Even if I were to going to another city, speed trains and buses are still much cheaper quite comfortable. Plus, they pretty much pass through the majority of cities and towns throughout the entire country. Personally, I'd prefer if the U.S. public transportation system was more like in China's (in large to mid-sized cities). The cost of a car note, insurance and parking in larger cities is huge. Even if cost wasn't an issue at all, I think I'd still prefer to take public transit simply because city driving is horrible and causes me to rage at the sign of any traffic. At least in a taxi or on a bus someone else can do the raging for me.

China has become the 2nd largest market for cars not because personal vehicles are so much more efficient than public transit, but because people now have more money and want what they couldn't have before. America is a car-owning culture, but people would see how much better public transit is if it were actually up to the standards of other countries in Asia and Europe.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:46 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Telling someone you feel sorry for them who are happy the way they are is condescending. I'd be rather annoyed that someone feels sorry for my lifestyle. Do you realize the first paragraph has nothing to do with the thread topic?

Try putting a thread on the NYC forum saying I feel sorry for you who have to take the subway every day. Some will agree because they don't like the subway. Most will be "who is this #$% out of towner criticizing our city?"
+1 Cheers!!

Old 02-02-2014, 02:59 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guawazi View Post
I always thought the combination of buses, the subway, and taxi's (bikes, walking, and other smaller vehicles too) are more convenient than owning a personal vehicle. Living in China for several years, I couldn't think of a time I wish I had a personal vehicle.
I felt that way in Mexico most of the time. Since some of the city buses were WWII vintage, I made the observation that you don't really car how old a bus is, you just want one to come every ten minutes. But I spent most of my time in the radius of 1 mile from the city center. Since there were plenty of restaurants, museums, hotels, clubs, and entertainment in the city center I rarely missed the vehicle. But I went to a party about 4 miles from center city (where taxi rates jumped considerably) and I found it difficult to get back home late at night.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
This is why you don't drive in central London. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend the bus. Stick to the Underground or Overground.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfzNC14IgAEn3cu.jpg:large

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-09-2014 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
This is why you don't drive in central London. In fact, I wouldn't even recommend the bus. Stick to the Underground or Overground.
Buses are not that bad outside rush hour.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:36 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
In Moscow, everyone used trains. The subways are so beautiful that it was an honor just to look at the mosaics

Old 02-11-2014, 02:18 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
I don't think there's a stigma to catching public transport here, many use it to get to work in the CBD, or do get to major sporting events and the like. It is much faster and better value to catch the train from outer suburbs rather than try and use the freeways during peak periods, which makes it quite popular for all types of people, although many train commuters do park and ride at the station. The vast majority of households of all classes own a car for when that is more convenient.

There has been considerable investment in the public transport system in Perth over the past 20 years and passenger numbers certainly attest to that - total passenger boardings have increased from 61 million in 1992 to 150 million in 2012/13.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
In my country (USA), people who own several automobiles will go to the airport and fly to someplace they could drive to in a day.

In my country, nobody walks anywhere, walking is associated with poverty and homelessness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World