Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:54 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
It's sad that you have no tolerance for dissenting viewpoints. You think I'd be rattled by you, but I'm not. You can whine all you want and attack me for my views because they differ from yours. What makes me curious is why you need the approval of everybody else so badly. If you really meant it when you blew hot air saying Singapore doesn't want or need you blah blah, why did you get so butthurt, start attacking others and get yourself drawn into a long fight with a stranger? I'm entitled to my opinion. You also have no idea where and how somebody you don't know forms their views and what culminated in their perspectives. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Oh I can take the heat, baby, but I just don't know what we're even debating? lol. Are we on the same page?

Basically, that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. It's not an opinion most people share. And your opinion doesn't make what you say true. As nei said, it is condescending to say you 'feel sorry' for people who you have no idea about. Let's just settle it at that, shall we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 01:11 PM

647 posts, read 1,217,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

The transit ridership in NYC isn't higher because the system is rather radial, in the outer boroughs unless your destination is not along the line or in Manhattan it's generally rather slow to take transit. And some parts of the outer boroughs aren't that well covered by transit. Still the drive to work is rather low, about 22%. Tourists aren't measured in transit commute obviously, so that's irrelevant. I'd argue a number of largeEuropean cities have transit that's better than NYC.
The NYC subway system is very comprehensive. I welcome you to compare it to others, especially those you're defending.
Quote:

Ancedontal. I've been in NYC many times and it's never made me sick. There's no little correlation today with density and health, perhaps you could dig up statistics to show it (today, not historically). Plenty of people don't have your preference or hang-ups about sharing space, and are comfortable with it. No need to feel sorry for those who are used to it and don't mind. One of my parents commutes to work by an hour-long train ride and will do so till she retires. It never ocurred to me to feel sorry for someone who does something just because I'm not used to it.
Sure, gladly. Is 2012 recent enough for you? High population density is greatest risk factor for water-linked diseases -- ScienceDaily

I've been to NYC over 10 times. My dad used to work there for a few years when I was in elementary school and I used to visit very often. I have never fallen sick in NYC.

But I did fall sick upon moving to that city in Asia, oh by the way, the density of that city is higher than NYC's in case you're wondering.

I don't feel sorry for any mass transit commuter in the world besides the ones in Singapore. I've outlined why in a few posts, about choices, options, citizenship, place of birth, death. I don't wish to repeat it.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:20 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
The common part is correct...

It is impractical to drive anywhere for those of us who live downtown. It's pretty much standard, whether it's Toronto or San Francisco. It's just that there are a small number of people for whom this isn't even a choice.
What makes you an expert? Most of my friends and colleagues (age 25-60) commute by public transport. Why? The road infrastructure is underdeveloped in the Oslo region. I used to commute by car for a while. It was more flexible but I hardly saved any time.

My employer is located outside of Oslo (at Lysaker). Parking spaces are limited and mainly reserved for executives, sales people and employees with special needs (small kids in kindergarden or school, long distance from work, disabilities). Even people living in more rural areas avoid commuting by car. Why? It means they have be at work before 7 am (no later) due to traffic and/or limited parking spaces. The United States is built around the car (with certain exceptions). That is not the case in the Oslo region (Oslo and the most populous areas of Akershus county).

Some statistics (as of 2012):

Population: 5 million
Number of people with a driver's licence: 3.17 million
Number of private passenger cars: 2.44 million
The average private passenger car is 10.5 years old (the average age is 6.3 years in Ireland)
The price of a base 3-door VW Golf 1.2 TSI: $40,250 ($22,180 in the UK and $19,995 in the US for a 2.5L 4-door)
The price of a base BMW 320i: $64,700 ($43,495 in the UK and $32,750 in the US)

Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
The transit ridership in NYC isn't higher because the system is rather radial, in the outer boroughs unless your destination is not along the line or in Manhattan it's generally rather slow to take transit. And some parts of the outer boroughs aren't that well covered by transit. Still the drive to work is rather low, about 22%. Tourists aren't measured in transit commute obviously, so that's irrelevant. I'd argue a number of largeEuropean cities have transit that's better than NYC.

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-01-2014 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 01-31-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
What makes you an expert? Most of my friends and colleagues (age 25-60) commute by public transport. Why? The road infrastructure is underdeveloped in the Oslo region. I used to commute by car for a while. It was more flexible but I hardly saved any time.

My employer is located outside of Oslo (at Lysaker). Parking spaces are limited and mainly reserved for executives, sales people and employees with special needs (small kids in kindergarden or school, long distance from work, disabilities). Even people living in more rural areas avoid commuting by car. Why? It means they have be at work before 7 am (no later) due to traffic and/or limited parking spaces. The United States is built around the car (with certain exceptions). That is not the case in the Oslo region (Oslo and the most populous areas of Akershus county).

Some statistics (as of 2012):

Population: 5 million
Number of people with a driver's licence: 3.17 million
Number of private passenger cars: 2.44 million
The average private passenger car is 10.5 years old (the average age is 6.3 years in Ireland)
The price of a base 3-door VW Golf 1.2 TSI: $40,250 ($22,180 in the UK and $19,995 in the US for a 2.5L 4-door)
The price of a base BMW 320i: $64,700 ($43,495 in the UK and $32,750 in the US)
Thank you for your figures!

There are almost 2.5 million private cars out of 5 million people and this 5 million population includes children and babies and teens who are not old enough to drive. Thank you.

By the way the topic of contention we are on about is a place where car ownership is 10%.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:02 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Thank you for your figures!

There are almost 2.5 million private cars out of 5 million people and this 5 million population includes children and babies and teens who are not old enough to drive. Thank you.

By the way the topic of contention we are on about is a place where car ownership is 10%.
Still, not very impressive numbers. The average car age is 10.5 years. That is pathetic.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:26 PM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:

NYC metro extends all the way to Connecticut, so don't worry about the states getting stingy with it.
The NYC subway does not go into Connecticut. But the Metro North commuter trains do go from Grand Central Station in Manhattan to Connecticut as far north as New Haven, CT.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
The NYC subway system is very comprehensive. I welcome you to compare it to others, especially those you're defending.
That map is not to scale. Large sections of Queens are not covered and often going from outer neighborhood to another outer neighborhood is clumsy. That's a common issue with transit systems, but some, including Tokyo are better than NYC in that way.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:53 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In the Northeastern region of the USA, using public transportation isn't considered to be associated with poverty and there is no stigma attached to it. The same is true if one lives in San Francisco Bay Area (California) and some other urban areas in the USA.
It still is. Outside of NYC as well as gentrifying parts of the BosWash corridor, a large majority of the people who take city buses are those that are more poor. Pretty much the only reason someone thinks of why you would take the city bus in some places still in the Northeast are that you may be a low-income person, a student or a tourist going to the airport. Some types of transport like Amtrak trains, or inter-city buses like Peter Pan or Megabus (I don't know if those really count as "public" transit since some use public transit to refer only to non-private buses) are popular with young and old professionals alike though.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
It still is. Outside of NYC as well as gentrifying parts of the BosWash corridor, a large majority of the people who take city buses are those that are more poor.
Generally bus riders are poorer than the local population. That doesn't mean the riders are predimonately poor. Boston buses have a mix of incomes. DC riders are somewhat poorer than the local average, but there are plenty of non-poor riders. A stat I posted earlier showed 30% of DC riders have a household income of $100k+/year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World