Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Bubble tea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I first heard of it way back in the late 90s, but it probably only caught on in the mid 2000s big here. Now it's pretty mainstream and a new fad, and certainly not only enjoyed by Asians. There's a chain place called Utopia that has bubble tea, various other drinks, and Asian cakes and pastries, as well as several other chains, including those based in Taiwan. Sometimes I go through phases where I'm addicted to it, even though it's sometimes not really that good when you think about it.

It seems widespread in Asia, in the UK I saw a few. In the US I mainly saw it in a few places in LA and NY. Oddly enough in Germany they briefly sold bubble tea in McDonald's.

There've been health scares because of tests showing that the pearls contained cancer causing chemicals, but I think that has mostly been resolved...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 06:09 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
I saw it a few years back (somewhere in south Florida) and couldn't understand the tapioca part.

In any case, I don't recall seeing it lately.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:20 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I've never heard of it, and I've never seen it. There was apparently a bubble tea stall in Leeds, but it closed down for whatever reason - lack of customers I presume.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,493 times
In Toronto, Bubble Tea has been around since the Mid-90s, by the late 90s early 2000s, bubble tea cafes and chain everywhere, the market was over-satuated so I'm not suprised that many have not closed down.

The craze died down, but it's still wildly available.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Never heard of it. Sounds disgusting. Apparently some places in Helsinki served it in the 90's, but common sense prevailed and they stopped selling it.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
In Toronto, Bubble Tea has been around since the Mid-90s, by the late 90s early 2000s, bubble tea cafes and chain everywhere, the market was over-satuated so I'm not suprised that many have not closed down.

The craze died down, but it's still wildly available.
Mainly the craze hit Toronto first, because right now it's more popular than ever. In Melbourne there's a place called Gong Cha and another called Cha Time. There's always a long for them.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I've never heard of it, and I've never seen it. There was apparently a bubble tea stall in Leeds, but it closed down for whatever reason - lack of customers I presume.
I saw a bubble tea place at the Bullring, in Birmingham, that seemed well patronised, as well as one in Oxford and another in Chinatown in London that appeared to be doing quite well.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
Not sure if it's popular. I have a friend who loves it (must be his East Asian genes ), so I sometimes go for one. I sort of like it. The location of bubble tea bars doesn't seem to correlate much with traditional East Asian immigrant hotspots, as it seems to be the case in London.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 AM

484 posts, read 1,286,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Mainly the craze hit Toronto first, because right now it's more popular than ever. In Melbourne there's a place called Gong Cha and another called Cha Time. There's always a long for them.
I guess the craze died down, because it isn't seen as "exotic" anymore. Now everyone is all about Macarons and Red velvet.

We still have many chains, there bubble Tease, which had a lot of location back in the 2000s, now they only have 6 in the GTA Bubbletease

But Ten Ren Tea is still popular have have many location, especially in the major shopping malls in Toronto. Ten Ren's Tea

Also Tea Shop 168 Tea Shop 168 - Store Locations

Plus all the small independent shops.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I guess the craze died down, because it isn't seen as "exotic" anymore. Now everyone is all about Macarons and Red velvet.

We still have many chains, there bubble Tease, which had a lot of location back in the 2000s, now they only have 6 in the GTA Bubbletease

But Ten Ren Tea is still popular have have many location, especially in the major shopping malls in Toronto. Ten Ren's Tea

Also Tea Shop 168 Tea Shop 168 - Store Locations

Plus all the small independent shops.
I heard it's not as popular in Singapore as it used to be, but it's still super common there, as well as Taipei. I would assume Hong Kong too, but I didn't really know much about it in 2006 when I went. It's also fairly popular in KL and Bangkok. Not sure about Jakarta or Manila, but they did have boba at Jollibee in LA.

I also the macaron craze. 6 years ago you could barely find them, now they're everywhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World