Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times

Advertisements

In Norway, they have McLaks (Lox), a salmon fish filet sandwich. It is pretty much what you would expect a McDonalds salmon burger to taste like.

In New Mexico, you can get green chile cheeseburgers.

McDonalds is nothing if not ever so slightly adaptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 12:28 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In Norway, they have McLaks (Lox), a salmon fish filet sandwich. It is pretty much what you would expect a McDonalds salmon burger to taste like.
It all ended in tears 17 years ago...

McDonald's sued over McSalmon burger sickness

"At first the McLaks tasted very good, but after some minutes my mouth and throat became numb, and I experienced internal spasms," said Geir Sundberg, one of the four filing suit against McDonald's..."

Old 02-13-2014, 02:06 PM

90 posts, read 94,245 times
As expected the people I encountered eating at these places in Europe were tourist.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:23 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
The "health extremists" and frustrated aesthetes have every right to push their cause, vent their spleen and post their hang-ups.

The public, through the free exchange of human opinion and commerce has every right to ignore and out-vote them.

Enough said; any questions???

Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
As expected the people I encountered eating at these places in Europe were tourist.
Probably because they were located in tourist spots?

Old 02-14-2014, 07:49 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
When you subtract the produce section from most grocery strores, what's left is highly processed food at the same level as McDonalds. I would like to see what the anti-McDs, anti-fast food crowd eats. Don't try to pass all your meat, cheese, bread, pasta and sugar off as healthy.

McDs is one of those brands that gets blamed beyond the reality (but yes, you can blame them for being incrdibly aggressive globally).

Old 02-14-2014, 09:34 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
McD's has a pretty all-or-nothing reputation in the US.

In NYC, SF, LA, etc, it's unpopular to the point of ridicule and loathing. The negative effects of McD's on the health of the average American is well publicized and well-known. In much of the rest of the US, it's thought of as a feelgood, old-timey food that's cheap, quick, easy, and familiar. These two camps also feed off eachother...

"McDonald's is bad for you, and it doesn't taste good."
"Yeah, well that's what you CALIFORNIA LIBERALS think. So, I'm gonna have a cheeseburger! How does THAT make you feel?"
"Mmmmm, yeah, it makes me feel like I don't care. Why don't you have another?"
"You know what, I will! Oh boo hoo, I wonder how many cows died to make this burger?"
"Yeah, real mature big guy. Why don't you have a third?"
"Too late partner, I'm on my FOURTH. Mmmmm, delicious MURDER."
"You gonna wash that down with a thick, creamy, vanilla shake, cowboy?"
"Already did, you pencil-necked geek! You wanna go drink a tofu and wheatgrass shake to calm down?"
"Yeah, well have fun dying of a heart attack, you mouthbreathing McFatty."
etc.

I think it's dumb overall. I've been a vegetarian for half my 30 years, and yes, I think McDonald's is gross, but it's no more my business what people ram down their throats than it is theirs what I eat. I have worse things to care about...

As far as the international market and people getting sick of it, it's quite popular in China. It's about on par with Denny's here in China, in terms of relative cost. They're all quite clean, modern, and a burger, fries, and soda cost you about 30 yuan; at 6 yuan to the dollar, you're looking at $4.75, which isn't far off the US prices. For comparative purposes, it costs about 12 yuan for a huge plate of rice, stir fried veggies and beef with a soda at a local eatery; even less in some areas. I pay 4 yuan for a bowl of vegetable noodle soup at a shop across the street - about 70 cents. Keep in mind that the average Chinese person makes only about $400/mo.

In China, Western goods, companies, manufacturers, etc are seen as prestigious, so McDonald's doesn't have the same sort of low-class, cheap, unhealthy stigma it has in the US. It's the same with Budweiser and Pabst beer; it's thought of as respectably midpack beer while it's a swilling joke back home. Also, in China, it's said that people in the North are taller because they eat noodles made from wheat instead of rice, and they think Westerners are bigger and taller because they eat more meat and dairy... so, to them, a cheeseburger seems great: it's all the stuff that makes you big and tall in one quick meal.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:24 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
" Meals at a Burger King on Lo Duc Street in Hanoi were selling the other day for 65,000 dong ($3) — twice what Nguyen Thi Hang Nga charges for a bowl of pho in her restaurant across the street, where patrons sit on blue plastic stools.
“That food may be tasty, but it’s expensive for normal Vietnamese,” Ms. Nga said of the American company’s offerings."
Lol the burgers here are like £4

Old 02-14-2014, 01:28 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
" Meals at a Burger King on Lo Duc Street in Hanoi were selling the other day for 65,000 dong ($3) — twice what Nguyen Thi Hang Nga charges for a bowl of pho in her restaurant across the street, where patrons sit on blue plastic stools.
“That food may be tasty, but it’s expensive for normal Vietnamese,” Ms. Nga said of the American company’s offerings."
Lol... how in the world do you pronounce "Nga"

Old 02-14-2014, 04:48 PM

90 posts, read 94,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Probably because they were located in tourist spots?
Sure but it is usually the sort of people that return home and say "The food there was ok. I didn't have anything I liked"

Unless McDonalds is the only place is open, why would I choose that over experiencing the local? Even their version of fast food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
View detailed profiles of: