Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 09:02 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times

Advertisements

Are there any legitimate reasons why they are not going further in Travels with Middle East, and Asia? For Spanish speak people from Argentina/Chile/Panama/Peru/Mexico/Spain? Is that false misconceptions in reinforcing native culture? Able to occupy equal amount of alliance to their background without having to close off the outside international boundaries that alien to them past Italy like visits at the furthest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 06:53 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,373,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Are there any legitimate reasons why they are not going further in Travels with Middle East, and Asia? For Spanish speak people from Argentina/Chile/Panama/Peru/Mexico/Spain? Is that false misconceptions in reinforcing native culture? Able to occupy equal amount of alliance to their background without having to close off the outside international boundaries that alien to them past Italy like visits at the furthest.
Not sure if I understand what you mean, but Latin American people are usually not as wealthy as North Americans or Europeans, and distance to exotic destinations tend to be very large. So, the amount of travelers to far off destinations tend to be much lower, and it’s fair to say that familiar destinations come first. Anyway, I’ve met quite a few people who have been to places like Turkey, Egypt, India, Thailand, Vietnam, Russia, etc.

It has nothing to do with any cultural insularity or anything like this.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:09 AM

10,111 posts, read 14,980,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
It has nothing to do with what you state. Simply, overall people are less well off, so those that travel beyond their borders for vacation do so mostly to famous vacation spots in the region (Buenos Aires, Lima, Punta del Este, Río de Janeiro, Cartagena, Punta Cana, Panamá City -major shopping destination due to the really good deals there-, La Habana, Mexico City, Iguazú Falls, Varadero, Cancún, etc). The region really has it all. Places like Orlando (that mouse is quite something, lol), Miami, New York City, Las Vegas and a few other places in the USA are quite popular among Latin Americans not living in the USA. European destinations are mostly Spain (especially Madrid, Barcelona, Seville, and the Costa del Sol regions) and the usual places in France (Paris) and Italy (Rome, Venice, Amalfi Coast, etc).

Old 03-06-2020, 03:56 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
I imagine the holy land recieves a good nuber of Latin American tourist. I personally have no interest going there but several of my religious relatives have been there.

Old 03-07-2020, 02:10 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,122,865 times
My wife is Peruvian, and I can tell you that they don't. Her attitude towards Spain ranges from a usual mild curiosity to occasional contempt when she gets nationalistic.

Spain is her third choice for places to visit in Europe, as we have been to Italy a couple of times and made it to Paris, and might get to Spain sooner or later. The reason that she wants to go to these places has nothing to do with "identification," but is simply the same reputation of good sight seeing as inspires most people.

I am a white guy, and for my part, I love Italy, but beyond that, I would much rather go back to Peru, to Mexico or even Bolivia than to Spain. As a history guy, I find Teotihuacan and Tiwanaku much more interesting than Alhambra. But I suppose that is off topic.

Old 04-13-2020, 11:19 PM

169 posts, read 171,451 times
Well....Latin America is called Latin America because of their shared culture, especially with Latin Europe. Most Latinos have European background to a certain degree, either full or partial since the region is one of the most diverse in the world and mixing has been happening since the 1400's.

Latin America shares a lot of "popular culture" with Europe for example in the arts like film and music, the regions have been sharing music for a while! European artists go to work in Latin America and Latin American artists go to work in Europe.

Like I've mentioned, many Latin Americans have closer ties to Europe since their families were originally from Europe and why would they want to lose their culture? It only enhances the local culture if anything. When I lived in Mexico for a while I knew many people in the capital and elsewhere who had family in Spain, Italy, France, Germany and Great Britain but they always told you they were Mexican first and foremost but they loved their heritage, and even if they also had a passport from a European country, they would always cheer for Mexico in the world cup. This is also true in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Venezuela, Chile and Paraguay and other countries who also received many European immigrants in the 1800's and 1900's and even now because of both economic crisis in the last 20 years since many recent grads, especially southern Europeans, go to Latin America to find jobs and make their new lives there....again...met so many in Mexico from Greece to Portugal and everything in between!

Old 04-27-2020, 11:24 AM

Unfortunately, the video is only in Spanish. It was done in Spain by obviously Spaniards and this part he speaks of Hispanic Americans (to differentiate Brazilians and other groups that are included in the term Latin America).

In short, Hispanic Americans and the Spanish-speaking republics of America are considered sisters of Spain. In addition, he blames certain leftists that want to create a division between Spain and Spanish America. It does poses a problem for the title of this thread, for starters. He refers to Hispanic Americans as the brothers of Spaniards.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:48 PM

630 posts, read 526,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian22 View Post
Well....Latin America is called Latin America because of their shared culture, especially with Latin Europe. Most Latinos have European background to a certain degree, either full or partial since the region is one of the most diverse in the world and mixing has been happening since the 1400's.

Latin America shares a lot of "popular culture" with Europe for example in the arts like film and music, the regions have been sharing music for a while! European artists go to work in Latin America and Latin American artists go to work in Europe.

Like I've mentioned, many Latin Americans have closer ties to Europe since their families were originally from Europe and why would they want to lose their culture? It only enhances the local culture if anything. When I lived in Mexico for a while I knew many people in the capital and elsewhere who had family in Spain, Italy, France, Germany and Great Britain but they always told you they were Mexican first and foremost but they loved their heritage, and even if they also had a passport from a European country, they would always cheer for Mexico in the world cup. This is also true in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Venezuela, Chile and Paraguay and other countries who also received many European immigrants in the 1800's and 1900's and even now because of both economic crisis in the last 20 years since many recent grads, especially southern Europeans, go to Latin America to find jobs and make their new lives there....again...met so many in Mexico from Greece to Portugal and everything in between!
You use the adverbe "many"....many times. What does it mean exactly? 10? 50k? 10 million?

Given that European immigration to Latin America has been vastly insignificant and that most Latin American never attracted much Europeans at all What kind of ties do most people in Latin America have with European countries? Parents? Grandparents? Relatives from 400 years ago? Is it full ancestry, or marginal ? And is that that carry the same?
What's driving some Latin Americans to claim their "Europeaness"? Is it due to family values, or some other less noble, unspeakable reasons?

Old 04-27-2020, 09:35 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
You use the adverbe "many"....many times. What does it mean exactly? 10? 50k? 10 million?

Given that European immigration to Latin America has been vastly insignificant and that most Latin American never attracted much Europeans at all ...
That's not true. South America recieved many Portuguese, Italian and German immigrants. The city of Caracas alone recieved half a million portuguese in the 20th century. Many more Italians went to Argentina. You can find lots of Communities like this through out Latin AMerica, some countries more than others.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:29 PM

Reminds me of a professor I had in college in the USA who said not many Spaniards went to Latin America, hence the consideration among US “experts” that most of the people the Spanish considered mestizo was a lie. In reality they were indians brainwashed to believe they were mestizos.

Then the DNA results from various parts of the region came to light and it turns out that the so called mestizos were, well, mestizos. lol I would do anything to see him again and have him explain the findings.

It turns out that Spanish migration to the region was bigger than thought for so much of a typical Latin American DNA to be from there. Of course, the overall population in Latin America was much smaller then, so the arrival of say 10,000 Spaniards to a given place had a greater influence in the people genetic make up than the arrival of 10,000 Spaniards today.

Maybe they thought that Latin America was like Equatorial Guinea or The Philippines, where indeed Spanish DNA is very small in the overall DNA of the places. Will you look at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World