Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's taking it easy more?
West coast USA 11 47.83%
Australia 10 43.48%
Equal, or can't compare/decide. 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 PM

613 posts, read 1,169,405 times

Advertisements

Both are known for more laidback culture, less of a busy, workaholic, materialistic lifestyle compared to say parts of the US like the New York metro of course, but which is actually more laidback and easygoing, would you say?

In both places, there is a love of beaches, relaxing, and taking it easy compared to working long hours without breaks. I'm including all the US West coast for the fact that the PNW is known somewhat for it's laidback culture, of course without the sunny, pleasant (though not everyone likes sun I know!) weather of southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
It depends where in Australia...

California vs Sydney is different than California vs Gold Coast

Disclaimer: I lived in both places.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
I think a lot would depend on where in CA you are. I would have a hard time seeing Los Angeles as a laid back place to live.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:17 PM

24,410 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think a lot would depend on where in CA you are. I would have a hard time seeing Los Angeles as a laid back place to live.
That's true too! Both areas are too large to generalize as laid back or fast paced.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:26 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,620 times
West coast USA, Australia doesn't even let gays marry or have legal marijuana anywhere.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:58 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah I don't consider LA or OC laid back. San Diego definitely is though.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:33 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
San Diego is the most Australian feeling city in America, and it feels similar to it's twin city, my hometown of Perth, in almost every respect - climate, built form, even the imported eucalyptus they have there, the beach culture.etc.

San Francisco and Sydney both feel very urban and Asian.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,119,088 times
definitely Australia is more laid-back.

Although the West Coast US is more relaxed than the East Coast, it still has a competitive spirit, lots of cut-throat-types and Keeping-up-with-the-Joneses suburbanites- part of the American overall mentality. Plus longer work hours, less assistance for the vulnerable, etc etc.

Australians seems so much more simple and easygoing, also influenced by being part of a much smaller (population-wise), isolated country/ market...a country that has a lot less social problems. The intensity of social issues (crime/ economic disparity/ stress levels, etc)...the chance of crazy things happening....still far more likely to be the case in the West Coast US (lesser degree in Pacific NW) than anywhere in Australia.

I do think Australians are less open to things as mentioned above like gay rights, racial acceptance than West Coast, but that's more re: value system.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:12 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
definitely Australia is more laid-back.

Although the West Coast US is more relaxed than the East Coast, it still has a competitive spirit, lots of cut-throat-types and Keeping-up-with-the-Joneses suburbanites- part of the American overall mentality. Plus longer work hours, less assistance for the vulnerable, etc etc.

Australians seems so much more simple and easygoing, also influenced by being part of a much smaller (population-wise), isolated country/ market...a country that has a lot less social problems. The intensity of social issues (crime/ economic disparity/ stress levels, etc)...the chance of crazy things happening....still far more likely to be the case in the West Coast US (lesser degree in Pacific NW) than anywhere in Australia.

I do think Australians are less open to things as mentioned above like gay rights, racial acceptance than West Coast, but that's more re: value system.
Yeah that might just be America vs Australia. America has more of a work culture, although it's not like Australia does not. Australians can be pretty materialistic, even if 'lifestyle' is also important. Actually the materialism is a large part of achieving that lifestyle, big home, car, boat, resort style holidays etc.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:23 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah that might just be America vs Australia. America has more of a work culture, although it's not like Australia does not. Australians can be pretty materialistic, even if 'lifestyle' is also important. Actually the materialism is a large part of achieving that lifestyle, big home, car, boat, resort style holidays etc.
This is a little dated, but the comparison of average hours worked per year in Aus and elsewhere is pretty interesting. Seems like we are more than willing to put in the hours needed to pay for a large home, boats and OS holidays.

Give us a break: Australia is hard at work - National - theage.com.au
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World