Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 07:12 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Australia does have big roads and big houses compared to the UK. That's a fact. It's not even up for argument.
I believe the average house size in Australia passed that of the U.S. in recent years and is now the largest in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 07:13 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I believe the average house size in Australia passed that of the U.S. in recent years and is now the largest in the world.
Yep, I think everything here is too big. Houses, cars, roads, shopping malls - and the attendant consumption of resources. Not something to boast about.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 AM

225 posts, read 162,097 times
Quote:
=markovian process;34482583]Generally, people in countries that are industrialized stop emigrating in large numbers (eg. Irish and Italian immigration to the New World has slowed since Ireland and Italy are now rich), so rich countries generally stop getting immigration from other rich countries but instead get immigration from poorer countries. Many New World countries, from Canada to Argentina once received very large numbers of European or British Isles immigrants but very few in modern times.

But for Australia and New Zealand, it seems immigration from the UK still seems high up into very recent times.

Why is that? It seems like in the US and Canada, most immigration is from poorer countries (Mexico, China, India) and few from developed ones any more (like Italy, Ireland, the UK, even Japan). Why does Australia and New Zealand still attract immigrants from a rich, western country?
May I please SNOW you why

God Bless you

IamACatholic

Patrick

Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
Is it still true to this date? the emigration pattern of Scots to Canada/NZ in proportions to overall British emigrants.
In the case of Canada anyway, the preponderance of Scottish immigrants from the UK is a historic thing, not a current thing. I don't believe there are any more Scots arriving than people from England. If anything, from that part of the world in recent years it is the Irish (from the Republic) that are arriving in Canada in numbers disproportionate to their overall population size.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, it's true many convicts were Irish, but Australia's society, while it began as a prison/convict settlement (or rather settlements), was modelled on the British system from the beginning. There were many free settlers, many quite wealthy, and of course convicts who became free settlers, it's not like Australia was just convicts. Several settlements like Melbourne and Adelaide weren't even convict colonies at all.
I think there is validity in what both you and Richard said.

On the one hand, it is true the number of Irish in early Australia has given the country a more gregarious and exuberant character that contrasts with most of Canada (except for Newfoundland and Quebec) which tends to be more "stiff upper lip", reserved and sober.

On the other hand, both Canada and Australia were set up societally, politically (governance), and socially with the UK as inspiration, and in a sense they are quite similar in many ways. Although Canada as I said is more American-influenced (always has been, and this has grown steadily during its history).

I know that some people will point to the fact that Australia has states (Canada has provinces), a House of Representatives (Canada has a House of Commons) and a Senate (Canada also has a Senate), but these are more questions of semantics more than anything and the Australian and Canadian political systems are close to being identical and are Westminster-inspired, and aren't really similar to the U.S. system.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:41 PM

227 posts, read 438,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
And how do you know??
- You are from Northern Ireland
- You put that yourself in your profile page, english-wannabe

Mac15:

Ethnicity:
Irish and a very small portion English

Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM

302 posts, read 368,896 times
Maybe having job fairs constantly like the ones sited here vv is the reason why

http://www.australiajobfairs.com.au/uk

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-25-2014 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: Link

Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 PM

302 posts, read 368,896 times
Default Get ready for some Yanks !

GET READY , AUSSIES !

Recently there was an Aussie job fair in TEXAS ( imho - the MOST arrogant Yanks - and I'm from NYC )

BTW If you know some Yanks that have these skills and need work , tell 'em to go south to the 'land down under'

I know - we'll be overpaid over sexed AND over (t) here

http://www.pri.org/stories/2012-05-2...w-good-workers

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-25-2014 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
oh their are things about them which i dont particulary like either but i was listing the qualitys

the insistance on having tea and buns during a party instead of beer would be a big NO NO for me
Ugh I don't know. I don't judge a person on their religion. But really they do get on my nerves sometimes with their bigoted, sour, self important attitude - there really is no need for it. It doesn't really benefit them though because once they leave Northern Ireland people put them in their place.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:06 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Australia does have big roads and big houses compared to the UK. That's a fact. It's not even up for argument.
Pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World