Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 05:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
You're usually a rather rational poster so I am a bit puzzled why you would try to get Mac15 to come back to Canada. The even-minded reaction clearly is: be happy he isn't coming back, addition by substraction they say!
Rational? LOL Some days yes, some days no

Mac15 is apparently quite young, at least his internet persona is. He could be a bored middle-aged housewife for all we know..

However if he or she is young, I guess I feel there is hope to educate. It's is also, I believe, a sore spot with a lot of Canadians. The ignorance in the world of Canada can be astounding sometimes.

I remember having a conversation with a non-Canadian outside of Canada ( location not important since it could of been anywhere ) about how Vancouver is great since we have so many beaches within the downtown area. Their response…." but, but Vancouver is in Canada ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 05:23 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
I'm not thick... I'm just talking about my godawful experience there.

I accept obviously there is more to Canada... But my experience wasn't good so naturally i'm scared to return. I do A level Geog so i'm not judgemental like that..

Old 04-25-2014, 05:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I'm not thick... I'm just talking about my godawful experience there.

I accept obviously there is more to Canada... But my experience wasn't good so naturally i'm scared to return. I do A level Geog so i'm not judgemental like that..

Your statement is contradictory. You " accept obviously there is more to Canada…" but you are " scared to return " because of your experience in one city in a very, very large country.

It is obvious by your posts, that you were painting all of Canada with one brush.

I'm guessing you have actually learned more about Canada since your visit to Winnipeg, and that what you state now as obvious, wasn't before. This is a good thing

Old 04-25-2014, 06:30 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,342,103 times
Isn't it easy for the British to move to Australia? Something about being part of the commonwealth? British people have to follow the same rules as everyone else to move to America. It isn't easy. You gotta have a lot of pieces of paper saying you are smart or you have to have a lot of money. Otherwise, the line starts WAAAAAYYY back there!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,437,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Isn't it easy for the British to move to Australia? Something about being part of the commonwealth? British people have to follow the same rules as everyone else to move to America. It isn't easy. You gotta have a lot of pieces of paper saying you are smart or you have to have a lot of money. Otherwise, the line starts WAAAAAYYY back there!

I don't think so. I know a British citizen has no advantage moving to Canada than anyone else, just because of commonwealth. So I doubt it's any different for Australia.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:25 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
I think it was before, but now they've made it more equal for everyone.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,506,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think it was before, but now they've made it more equal for everyone.
Yep that is correct, UK citizens have to go through exactly the same process as everyone else these days. Of course it was not always the case, which is why Australia has so many UK born residents.

I suppose it should be pointed out that while the UK remains a major source of immigrants to Australia, it just not the Major source, Far more skilled migrant visas are filled by people from India and China that the UK these days.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-25-2014 at 08:02 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 08:27 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Yep that is correct, UK citizens have to go through exactly the same process as everyone else these days. Of course it was not always the case, which is why Australia has so many UK born residents.

I suppose it should be pointed out that while the UK remains a major source of immigrants to Australia, it just not the Major source, Far more skilled migrant visas are filled by people from India and China that the UK these days.
I'm not sure if you've noticed this, but I'm noticing more construction workers.etc from China in the past few years too.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:03 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Rational? LOL Some days yes, some days no

Mac15 is apparently quite young, at least his internet persona is. He could be a bored middle-aged housewife for all we know..

However if he or she is young, I guess I feel there is hope to educate. It's is also, I believe, a sore spot with a lot of Canadians. The ignorance in the world of Canada can be astounding sometimes.

I remember having a conversation with a non-Canadian outside of Canada ( location not important since it could of been anywhere ) about how Vancouver is great since we have so many beaches within the downtown area. Their response…." but, but Vancouver is in Canada ".
Oh come on many people visit one city in a country and judge the country by that experience, yes it is wrong but many do it. And why assume all middle aged housewives are bored.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:17 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

Migrants have to have a lot of money to come to Australia, many are arriving on 4 years visas, there are not the opportunities as there once was plus many foreign companies bring in there own workers. Cheap labor.
People would crazy to come all the way to Australia for a bit of sunshine which incidentally doesn't shine every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World