Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
When I went to Canada, even though I live in a border state, it felt significantly different than the US. This was in Niagara Falls and Toronto Pearson Airport. I would say Canada does feel closer to the UK in its ambiance
The ambience was noticeable straight away. The general demeanour of people seemed quite different to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:38 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In Canada at least there was a very high propensity for Scots to emigrate here. When you consider that the population of Scotland is one tenth that of England, Canada got way way more Scots.

I don't know if it's because Canada's rugged terrain and climate appealed to Scots more, or if conditions there were simply worse than in England, but in any event there were many Scots who came to Canada.

Canada's first two prime ministers were born in Scotland, and many other Scottish-Canadians have been PM of Canada since then.
canada and new zealand were both prime destinations for scots and ulster scots , their influence shaped the charechter of both countries to this day , both are quite presbyterian in charechter , unexciting but steady

Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
And a large amount of them are there illegally.
I am not sure that that's really the case that much in Miami.

Illegal immigration is much more of a phenomenon in the states to the west that border Mexico directly (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California).

Old 04-24-2014, 01:42 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Well obviously with one million brits its very easy.
The majority of Brits in Australia came over on the 10 pound Pom scheme that ran from the 1950's to the 1970's . Your average British immigrant in Australia is now over 60 years old.

Such a scheme no longer exists.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-24-2014 at 02:28 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Australia isn't richer than Britain.

We are growing fastest in Europe and faster than America this year.
And Australia actually has a massive debt.
australia is very definatley richer per capita than the uk and will continue to be , australia has an incredibly prosperous future ahead of it , without the city of london , the uk would not be all that wealthy

Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Canada has never been particularily "close" to Britain either culturally or socially, not even close to the level of Australia or New Zealand.

Canada has always had a more independent streak hence having the first country separate from British rule, it's own flag, largest denomination is Catholic not Protestant, large French presence, and more Nordic in it's values.

Remember that Canada was first discovered and settle by Europeans by the French and the English came much later.

Canada has always had a more stand offish attitude towards Britain and the British people and Americans feel far and away more affiliation and affection for Britain than Canadians {English or French} ever will.

the majority of canadians may be catholic but the country is protestant in charechter ( nothing wrong with that btw )

i agree that canada has always been much less alligned with england than australia and especially new zealand , the main reason for this of course is that canada sits next door to the most influential nation on earth

Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Canadians certainly have an affection for the British and vice versa. I certainly wasn't implying that there was any animosity between the two countries. Both respect each other and consider each other good friends. I guess that it explains it...........Britain and Canada view each other as good FRIENDS while the British view Australia and NZ as part of the FAMILY .

Canadians have always viewed themselves as being more European {which includes Britain} than Australia or NZ. Americans, on the other hand, have always felt close to the British but a noticeable antipathy towards anything from the Continent.
I largely agree but would say that this is a very contemporary view and caution about the use of the word "always".

English-speaking Canada was never a lock, stock and barrel transplant of the UK into another part of the world like Australia and NZ were (in the early days most English-speaking Canadians were people who first setlted in the U.S.), but certainly it was much more British than it is today in culture, mindset and feel.

Canada started out as a more Americanized and less British society than Australia and NZ ever were, but certainly it was at one point in time a lot closer to the UK and the Commonwealth in many ways than it is today.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
canada and new zealand were both prime destinations for scots and ulster scots , their influence shaped the charechter of both countries to this day , both are quite presbyterian in charechter , unexciting but steady
Oh for god sake.

Canada is nothing like Presbyterians trust me!!

Old 04-24-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
The majority of Brits in Australia came over on the 10 pound Pom scheme that ran from the 1950's to the 1970's . Your average average British immigrant in Australia is now over 60 years old.

Such a scheme no longer exists.
Oh that is fascinating!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the majority of canadians may be catholic but the country is protestant in charechter ( nothing wrong with that btw )

i agree that canada has always been much less alligned with england than australia and especially new zealand , the main reason for this of course is that canada sits next door to the most influential nation on earth
But so does Mexico and the UK is more like the USA than Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World