Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

A stable place (with nice weather) where I can take my 1st world retirement income and stretch those dollars to the max. S.E Asia and some Latin American countries come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:06 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
It'd be nice to have at least two retirement spots I can divide my time between. Maybe I could spend summers in Croatia or Montenegro and winters in Vietnam/Thailand or the Caribbean. That's after I win the lottery though.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:22 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
If I could just import a few friendly British people and a nice pub to where I live now and have more trains running to the city then where I live now would probably be my ideal. Also a Lidl.

I used to think my ideal place to live would be somewhere quiet in the countryside until I actually did move to somewhere quiet in the countryside and got fed up after half a year. I need to be around people.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
It'd be nice to have at least two retirement spots I can divide my time between. Maybe I could spend summers in Croatia or Montenegro and winters in Vietnam/Thailand or the Caribbean. That's after I win the lottery though.
Dollars can really stretch in places like Thailand.. With patience and some low to medium risk investments a retirement in such a place doesn't require a lottery win!

Old 05-04-2014, 12:50 PM

327 posts, read 569,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
A stable place (with nice weather) where I can take my 1st world retirement income and stretch those dollars to the max. S.E Asia and some Latin American countries come to mind.

But you need to consider the ease or difficulty of obtaining a retirement visa. Thailand is pretty easy. Malaysia's My Second Home program wants about $50,000 US in a local bank if you're over 50. Indonesia is a nice place, but it has a long list of requirements including health insurance and the obligation to hire a maid. I had to scratch Indonesia off my list as I deem the requirements too onerous. Or you could just keep moving around.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
But you need to consider the ease or difficulty of obtaining a retirement visa. Thailand is pretty easy. Malaysia's My Second Home program wants about $50,000 US in a local bank if you're over 50. Indonesia is a nice place, but it has a long list of requirements including health insurance and the obligation to hire a maid. I had to scratch Indonesia off my list as I deem the requirements too onerous. Or you could just keep moving around.
50K USD isn't a lot to retire off of. I have way more than that and I'm only 37.. Its probably even less in Thailand but yeah - I wouldn't be headed off for retirement in any place without a minimum of a few 100K. What's wrong with Thailand? It could be your main based if you will and then occasionally take extended tourist trips to so many S.E Asian countries... I love Air Asia lol

Last edited by fusion2; 05-04-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 01:55 PM

327 posts, read 569,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
50K USD isn't a lot to retire off of. I have way more than that and I'm only 37.. Its probably even less in Thailand but yeah - I wouldn't be headed off for retirement in any place without a minimum of a few 100K. What's wrong with Thailand? It could be your main based if you will and then occasionally take extended tourist trips to so many S.E Asian countries... I love Air Asia lol

Re: Malaysia, 50K is not the amount you'll be retiring off of. That is the amount you must have in a local bank to get their retirement visa. If you spend any of that during the year, you will have to replenish it before they will renew the visa (annually).

Nothing at all wrong with Thailand. I love the food, the beaches and the temples. (wink). Other guys I've known have different reasons for moving there.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
Re: Malaysia, 50K is not the amount you'll be retiring off of. That is the amount you must have in a local bank to get their retirement visa. If you spend any of that during the year, you will have to replenish it before they will renew the visa (annually).

Nothing at all wrong with Thailand. I love the food, the beaches and the temples. (wink). Other guys I've known have different reasons for moving there.
Oh I see... Honestly I think the Malaysian government is doing the right thing to be honest! Its not hard to accumulate a few hundred thousand dollars for retirement in a lifetime but you should always have that 50K in the bank account as a reserve.

I do think in Thailand though you only have to prove a certain amount in the bank account and then that's it yer done... I could be wrong i'm still a ways away from retiring... Honestly, I think i'd split my time between home (Toronto) and Thailand if I have my way so Yeah Thailand would probably be my number 1 pick.. as for the guys and their other reasons... well who can blame them

Old 05-05-2014, 05:10 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Cornwall, Cyprus or the Azores for me 😃

Old 05-05-2014, 05:27 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I used to think my ideal place to live would be somewhere quiet in the countryside until I actually did move to somewhere quiet in the countryside and got fed up after half a year. I need to be around people.
Yeah, strolling around your metropolis on a Friday night sure feels like you're around people. Maybe 4 drunks in the bar and 1 at the local kebab joint............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World