Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 01:25 PM

456 posts, read 833,968 times

Advertisements

What is your ideal place/setting to live in? In what area would you feel most happy and comfortable in terms of location, culture, and atmosphere to live in?

For me: My ideal place would be to live on the coast in Peru or Chile, where I have studied and enjoyed a lot, my dream place to live is a home near the Pacific ocean, where there are fresh food markets nearby, where I can buy my food every-day. For example, I can wake up in the morning and go and buy fresh fruit. Where I can speak Spanish (a language I really love to speak and write in), go and listen to flamenco and songs with Andalusian style (e.g. Gypsy Kings, Niña Pastori, etc), and with that detoxify myself of the stress and pressures of US society of which I have gotten very tired of. I enjoy the culture and people there - everything just seems more "real" - the emotions - the people - the feelings - everything. It's a refreshing contrast to the almost artificial feel of US society that you sometimes have. In all, such a place is definitely the ideal for me.

In terms of "fitting in", well I speak fluent Spanish, and natives often confuse my accent for the dialect of Cajamarca in Peru or think I have an Arabic accent, but in all I speak well enough. In terms of looks, while I don't look latino per se, I do look Mediterranean (especially Eastern Med) and could easily fit in Southern Italy, Greece, Turkey, etc. and natives have said that I can fit as a South American with that ancestry. I never got the impression that I stuck out as a sore thumb nor experienced any of the "gringo discrimination", even though I'm technically white.

Discuss...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,955,728 times
South Korea or Japan. Would like to live in China, but somewhere that the toilet isn't a latrine and the city air is clean and not so polluted that I die at the ripe old age of 55 from asthma and lung cancer

Old 04-30-2014, 02:59 AM

277 posts, read 401,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
South Korea or Japan. Would like to live in China, but somewhere that the toilet isn't a latrine and the city air is clean and not so polluted that I die at the ripe old age of 55 from asthma and lung cancer
People may be surprised how clean and vibrant Seoul has become in recent years. Great infrastructure and public transport, a sparkly new world class international airport. Not to mention a very safe feeling city, though I've not looked at crime stats.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:26 AM

12,972 posts, read 9,672,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol, then don't go with China.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,490,540 times
I don't know but for example:

A city near the sea but not especially a coast town, it can be for example 50 o 100 km far. A city or at least a big town, where you can go shopping to to restaurants or terraceo (terraces), well comunicated, modern but with a nice oldtown, and good weather. Where is it? Lol.

Maybe something like Alicante, a city in Florida, California, Cote d'azur, etc...

Old 04-30-2014, 06:15 AM

69 posts, read 153,018 times
Lausanne, Switzerland

Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,607,512 times
A city that is large, but not a 'mega city'. A city the size of Madrid, combined with the economy of Munich, the vibe and buzz of Berlin, and the rich history of Paris would be ideal.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:32 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,895,451 times
1. MUST speak English.
2. Has to be a rich country.
3. Continental climate.
4. No more than a six hour time difference for my country of origin.
5. No longer than 7 hour flight.
6. MUST NOT be hundreds of miles inland.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:39 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,833,026 times
Madrid or Barcelona would be my choices. Like the Spanish lifestyle and the come-as-you-are mentality, if only the economy and possibilities were a bit better, and that things would be done today and not tomorrow. And traditionally Finns get along very well with Spaniards, so I couldn't expect a huge culture shock either.

The Netherlands is another lovechild of mine, and would feel perfectly at home there. Even the language is so easy, and the lifestyle so similar. But prefer Spain for the climate as long as I can return home to Finland for some decent winter snow.

Denmark would be my third choice. A beautiful great country which is very similar to us, but still a bit less anal Nordic.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:52 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,353,346 times
Somewhere quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World