Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs SF
London 96 70.59%
San Francisco 40 29.41%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:46 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
London is an Aston Martin DB9 driven by an English toff in a tuxedo and his young, skinny, demure, blonde trophy wife in an elegant black Versace number.

San Francisco is a beat up old VW Beetle driven by a middle aged gay hippy couple, and a spaced out homeless guy smoking a bong on the rear seats.
London has never been that. It has a strong working class going back as far as thee've been people there, it's strongly multicultural, and has a monthly tube pass.

But as long as we are comparing wealthy stereotypes to wealthy stereotypes, SF is a young guy who wears earth-toned sweater and designer glasses who has a DB9 in the underground parking of the SOMA loft he shares with his Asian-American wife, who spends most of her day working out. He usually rides the charter bus with wifi that his tech company provides.

As long as we're comparing embarassing and off-base negative stereotypes, London is a chav living in a council tower who likes mugging people, smoking weed, listening to Lil Nicc, and hasn't set foot in a classroom.since he was fifteen, and has three kids with different moms named Jamaica, Jayden, and Jade.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:51 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Seriously though, I love both cities. If I were told that I had to spend the rest of my life living in either I wouldn't feel like I was getting shafted

Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 AM

531 posts, read 594,983 times
^ Try not to take it too seriously. This whole thread is a bit tongue in cheek anyway.

(from wikipedia)

Ride on!

Last edited by Noggin of Rum; 05-14-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-14-2014, 09:36 AM

354 posts, read 682,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well since middle class families in San Francisco appear to be wealthier on average than their London counterparts, Id say being in SF is a wiser choice and thank you for your heartfelt concern for the plight of the middle class.
lol, ok!

Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,189,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Rolls Royce is so 1970s, just like London.

SF is actually a Tesla Model S( a Bay Area company btw)
The Tesla Model S looks so cheap. It is actually the best-selling car here in Norway. The new Volkswagen Passat

Old 05-14-2014, 09:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
When will people learn the difference between median income, mean income and GDP per capita? And Gross Value Added isn't the same as Gross Domestic Product..

High house prices will result in less disposable income, so who cares about that?

Anyway, London is clearly in a different league to San Francisco in terms of global influence. London is a leading Alpha city, along with New York, Paris and Tokyo. San Francisco might have a wealthier middle class - North America does in general - but San Francisco is different to most American cities because it is extortionately expensive.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
London is an Aston Martin DB9 driven by an English toff in a tuxedo and his young, skinny, demure, blonde trophy wife in an elegant black Versace number.

San Francisco is a beat up old VW Beetle driven by a middle aged gay hippy couple, and a spaced out homeless guy smoking a bong on the rear seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
London has never been that. It has a strong working class going back as far as thee've been people there, it's strongly multicultural, and has a monthly tube pass.

But as long as we are comparing wealthy stereotypes to wealthy stereotypes, SF is a young guy who wears earth-toned sweater and designer glasses who has a DB9 in the underground parking of the SOMA loft he shares with his Asian-American wife, who spends most of her day working out. He usually rides the charter bus with wifi that his tech company provides.

As long as we're comparing embarassing and off-base negative stereotypes, London is a chav living in a council tower who likes mugging people, smoking weed, listening to Lil Nicc, and hasn't set foot in a classroom.since he was fifteen, and has three kids with different moms named Jamaica, Jayden, and Jade.
Haha. I repped you both.

Although I live across the bridge in Oakland and love SF, London is the winner hands down. There is really no comparison. It would be much fairer to compare Washington DC with London which are far more similar.

San Francisco is seriously grubby and run-down these days compared to London - even since I first visited 18 years ago. The freeways are an absolute joke - I don't know what the city planners were thinking when they built those. They completely ruin the landscape from every conceivable angle. And the BART compared to the tube? It isn't even a comparison worth making.

The museums in SF are very nice and fine for what they are. But go visit the Cal Academy of Science Evolution of Man exhibit. It's quite laughable - don't blink or you'll miss it.
London museums are comparable with DC museums. Excellent.

The weather in SF might be better but it is certainly nothing to write home about.

London is far cleaner and better maintained. You notice it as soon as you get off the plane.
The homelessness situation in SF is out of control.

Food experience in both cities is about the same.

I like both cities a lot and I am here for the experience and to live in another culture, but someday I will be heading back.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Haha. I repped you both.

Although I live across the bridge in Oakland and love SF, London is the winner hands down. There is really no comparison. It would be much fairer to compare Washington DC with London which are far more similar.

San Francisco is seriously grubby and run-down these days compared to London - even since I first visited 18 years ago. The freeways are an absolute joke - I don't know what the city planners were thinking when they built those. They completely ruin the landscape from every conceivable angle. And the BART compared to the tube? It isn't even a comparison worth making.

The museums in SF are very nice and fine for what they are. But go visit the Cal Academy of Science Evolution of Man exhibit. It's quite laughable - don't blink or you'll miss it.
London museums are comparable with DC museums. Excellent.

The weather in SF might be better but it is certainly nothing to write home about.

London is far cleaner and better maintained. You notice it as soon as you get off the plane.
The homelessness situation in SF is out of control.

Food experience in both cities is about the same.

I like both cities a lot and I am here for the experience and to live in another culture, but someday I will be heading back.
Really? London is way beyond anything DC could ever dream of being. DC is a small southern town that has the seat of the Fed Govt sitting there paying for everything. London is a huge hub of a city with millions of people and the cultural and financial capital of the UK. DC is only the seat of the US Govt and appeared out of thin air cause the Govt chose it. It would still be a backwater today if not for the Govt.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:58 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post

Yup. The delusions from across the pond are quite hysterical. The Bay Area is incredibly affluent and these people have no clue on what they speak on. LOL

San Francisco is way more upscale on average than London and all of these people talking about Alpha cities and what not are out of touch because CLEARLY in this case, SF is better off regardless as to what some pretentious, fluffy ranking says.

And the British govt uses GVA as their GDP data for statistical purposes.
The relationship between Gross Value Added (GVA) and Gross Domestic Product (GDP) - ONS

So San Francisco's Per Capita GDP is 30% higher than London's Per Capita GDP. But that's not really a surprise to anyone who actually follows this sort of thing closely.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:12 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
This is so ironic.

London has 72 resident billionaires
London is the super-rich capital of the world with 72 billionaires | City A.M.

The Bay Area has 71 resident billionaires
Bay Area Billionaires, 2014

It would appear that we have quite a few people that can afford Aston Martins as well. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World