Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 06:52 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times

Advertisements

I have been to many of the countries that are 'easy' to get to. That is, they have big airports and popular connections. With that, I feel I have seen a lot of the world and there isn't much more, even though that is patently false. Therefore, I have written off many countries because I have seen that 'part' of the world and end up talking to my friends about my experiences traveling, but realistically, I have only seen a fraction of what is out there.

I wonder:

Have you been to many countries and felt the places left to explore shrink around you? Or have you only traveled to a few countries and think there are endless places to explore? Or some combination of the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 07:24 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
I've been to 15 countries in 4 continents but I still feel there are way too many places to see, that it feels overwhelming.

At the same time, air travel makes the world seem smaller than it should. Part of the brain thinks it shouldn't take 22 hours to go halfway around the world. Like flying is 'cheating', but then again so is driving or sailing.

In a world without automated transport I imagine the world would feel vast...

Old 06-18-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've been to 15 countries in 4 continents but I still feel there are way too many places to see, that it feels overwhelming.

At the same time, air travel makes the world seem smaller than it should. Part of the brain thinks it shouldn't take 22 hours to go halfway around the world. Like flying is 'cheating', but then again so is driving or sailing.

In a world without automated transport I imagine the world would feel vast...
Thanks. I agree the ease of travel makes everything seem more interconnected. I suppose I'd be much happier to see New York City after spending weeks sailing across the Atlantic than I would be if the flight was 6 hours long.

Though, a few of my 15+ hour flights didn't leave me enthusiastic upon arrival.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Thanks. I agree the ease of travel makes everything seem more interconnected. I suppose I'd be much happier to see New York City after spending weeks sailing across the Atlantic than I would be if the flight was 6 hours long.

Though, a few of my 15+ hour flights didn't leave me enthusiastic upon arrival.
Well yeah, there's jetlag too. My 20 hour trip from Perth to LA still felt like ages, but it's not like a month long cruise. I hope to do the 28 day Sydney to Vancouver cruise next time I go to North America, it's a great way to see all those islands too.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Well yeah, there's jetlag too. My 20 hour trip from Perth to LA still felt like ages, but it's not like a month long cruise. I hope to do the 28 day Sydney to Vancouver cruise next time I go to North America, it's a great way to see all those islands too.
That sounds amazing. I had a 4 day vacation in Australia so that was that.

Still, there are so many places out there that I don't even know about.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
That sounds amazing. I had a 4 day vacation in Australia so that was that.

Still, there are so many places out there that I don't even know about.
4 days, why so short?

I was in the US for 6 weeks but it's definitely a country I will return to. It's just so big, with so much to see.

I've been around Australia by road, 4 months (too short), and over 18,000 kilometres (11,000 miles).

Old 06-18-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
4 days, why so short?

I was in the US for 6 weeks but it's definitely a country I will return to. It's just so big, with so much to see.

I've been around Australia by road, 4 months (too short), and over 18,000 kilometres (11,000 miles).
That's all I could could get off work. Sydney for a day, Cairns and the reef for two, back to Sydney. Work benefits permitted by trip, but my time off didn't.

I almost spent more time flying than I did on the ground. I still loved every minute.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
That's all I could could get off work. Sydney for a day, Cairns and the reef for two, back to Sydney. Work benefits permitted by trip, but my time off didn't.

I almost spent more time flying than I did on the ground. I still loved every minute.
Where do you live, btw? And which countries have you been to?

Old 06-18-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Where do you live, btw? And which countries have you been to?
Live in Minnesota.

Been to: Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands (and the Antilles), UK, Germany, Belgium, Austria, France, Switzerland, Slovakia, Croatia, France, Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic, China (and Tibet), Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, South Korea, Vietnam, Australia, Israel, and UAE.

I may have missed a few, but my goal is one country for every year I am old. I know I have Africa to rummage across. I have hit the easy spots from the US and have left much of Europe because it is close and relatively cheap.

I really want to go up to Scandinavia.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Live in Minnesota.

Been to: Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Netherlands (and the Antilles), UK, Germany, Belgium, Austria, France, Switzerland, Slovakia, Croatia, France, Ukraine, Poland, Czech Republic, China (and Tibet), Japan, Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, South Korea, Vietnam, Australia, Israel, and UAE.

I may have missed a few, but my goal is one country for every year I am old. I know I have Africa to rummage across. I have hit the easy spots from the US and have left much of Europe because it is close and relatively cheap.

I really want to go up to Scandinavia.
Impressive, how old are you, if I might ask?

No Singapore and Malaysia? You'll have to come, even if only for the food lol.

Yes, I aim to see at least one country until I see at least 50 or so...then I might just go back to the places I like, or return to several countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World