Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 02:56 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Is Chowder American, too?
Yes. I love new england clam chowder in a bread bowl with a splash of hot sauce and a liberal dose of black pepper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That hasn't been my experience.
It's been in my experience when in poorer neighborhoods. It's actually super apparent in NYC because it's generally such a short distance from poor neighborhood to bougie neighborhood, but I see it in the suburbs of southern california as well where there are poorer suburbs and wealthier ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 03:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Sure why not..

Would like to taste Chowder sounds yummy.
Clam Chowder in London - Zomato

Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes. I love new england clam chowder in a bread bowl with a splash of hot sauce and a liberal dose of black pepper.

It's been in my experience when in poorer neighborhoods. It's actually super apparent in NYC because it's generally such a short distance from poor neighborhood to bougie neighborhood, but I see it in the suburbs of southern california as well where there are poorer suburbs and wealthier ones.
Not totally. See post 219

Old 06-29-2014, 08:18 PM

131 posts, read 168,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Fresh food is surprisingly hard to find in the USA comared to other countries. Americans cook with crap vegetable oils and eat too much processed food. They also eat few vegetables and not enough fish. It's the quality day-to-day diet that matters, not the variety of the restaurant scene.
Thats not true at all, I'm pretty sure I explained this to another poster a couple pages back.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:30 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,852,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
Fresh food is surprisingly hard to find in the USA comared to other countries. Americans cook with crap vegetable oils and eat too much processed food. They also eat few vegetables and not enough fish. It's the quality day-to-day diet that matters, not the variety of the restaurant scene.
Fresh food is not hard to find here at all. Plenty of road side stands with local fruits and veggies right off the farm in season and plenty of seafood markets where you can get whatever fresh local critters from the ocean or bay that you want.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:42 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
I think the USA has some nice foodstuff but most of what people know of American food is fast food and that's not a real description of American cuisine at all.
Yeah, America actually has a really rich culinary culture that has definitely been overshadowed by fast food. It's sad that there are people here who are insistent as being as down on it as they possibly can be.

Quote:
Would love to taste biscuits n gravy, BBQ ribs, slaw and chilli but I wouldn't go to America for Burgers or deep pan pizza I can get that here...
Hope you can get over to try it someday . Even the burgers and pizza are worth it if you get it at a local place.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:51 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't remember saying that. Did you forget halfway through, and just continue with your assumption of many years standing that I am wrong, no matter what I say, and then just misquote me to fit?? And then you say you agree with me, but I'm wrong anyway.

By the way, I don't start out with "Things I hate about America". I respond to posters who say "America is the greatest everything in the world", and then I challenge their assumptions if they are groundless. I didn't start this thread. Somebody asked if I thought the US had the best food in the world, and I said No, and explained in considerable detail why I thought that, and why I disagreed with people who said Yes.
I agree with you that there's no place that's an empirical #1 when it comes to the best cuisine, but I don't agree with your statements that American food is "intrinsically terrible." You're basically saying that the best food in the world is homemade stuff, but America doesn't count because its food is awful. This is third grade logic and I know you're better than that, you just choose not to be whenever America enters the discussion.

I do value a lot of your posts about other countries, but you're like All Jazeera: great and insightful coverage overall with a tempered bias, so long as it doesn't involve Israel. You say things like "Americans are severely developmentally retarded," which shows that you have a great difficulty metering your emotions to a point where you can contain ad hominem attacks that overshadow any insight you may have had into the matter. All the same that you react to myopic and baseless "USA #1! WOOOOOOO" posts, I react to myopic and baseless "the USA SUCKS" posts by calling people out on their childishness and ignorance.

I don't have a "years long" assumption you're wrong, I have a months long "what the hell are you talking about?" that's no different from what I say to any other poster who starts to prattle on about something I know is wrong as though it's an empirical fact. I've continued to rep you and have openly agreed with you on things during that time, but that doesn't stop me from calling you out on your bias when you post it in an open forum.

Anyways, back to the show, folks.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:12 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Fresh food is not hard to find here at all. Plenty of road side stands with local fruits and veggies right off the farm in season and plenty of seafood markets where you can get whatever fresh local critters from the ocean or bay that you want.
Yeah, there are farms even in suburban areas. Actually, I'd say there has been a movement of sorts in America towards fresh farm produce and organic foods in recent years.

Maybe it hasn't reached the levels of many Europeans countries yet.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah, there are farms even in suburban areas. Actually, I'd say there has been a movement of sorts in America towards fresh farm produce and organic foods in recent years.

Maybe it hasn't reached the levels of many Europeans countries yet.
I don't know about all over the US, but here in small town Texas, fresh produce stands and organic foods are readily available from multiple sources.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:25 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Question Does the USA have the best food in the world?

NO...not necessarily! Probably not what anyone might prefer to hear...but NO, America does not have the BEST food in the world; different, diverse, interesting, highly regional...BUT all of it is dependent on ones individual preferences and tastes.

Finest Cuisines of the World

Cuisines in different countries in the world have a variety of characteristics that make each country's cuisine unique.

Food is what sustains our lives and has cultural, traditional, and healthful significance for our families. Numerous types of food exist in the world. They all have different nutrition values and provide us with energy to go through the day. There are many things that people know about food. However, some food facts are so bizarre that surely most people do not know about them.

Food by Country - World Wide Cuisine - Food in the World
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World