Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,555 times

Advertisements

Hi there

Does anyone know of any "worst places to live in..." rankings in their own or other people's countries?

This is for a piece I am writing for a paper here in the UK. I have listings for the UK and the US but would be interested in any others.

Many thanks

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 PM

351 posts, read 1,874,501 times
You could try the Big Mac indicator: it's basic, but the explanation about how it works has something to offer. That speaks to the economic situation of a country. There was a book about dangerous places which speaks to security features. If you want to see what expats living in development have to say about different countries, check out travel, which has narrative advice by expats who've lived in places. It would be a worthy secondary site to "dig in" to your short list.

I'd put Tajikistan on your list, but that's my experience and bias!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,720,624 times
Bangkok. It's the armpit of the world.

I would not want to live in New Jersey or the South of the United States either.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,291,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post

I would not want to live in New Jersey or the South of the United States either.
IF you hate Bangkok then you'll hate Yangon, Manila, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Ho Chi Minh, Jakarta, Kuala lumpur, and Phenom Penh...
Most cities in the world are like bangkok, you have no idea what the 'armpit' of the world is. Bangkok is no paradise but i can sure promise you its a lot better off then a lot of other places.
Burma sucks....hope that helps...

Old 01-17-2008, 02:12 PM

167 posts, read 214,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
IF you hate Bangkok then you'll hate Yangon, Manila, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Ho Chi Minh, Jakarta, Kuala lumpur, and Phenom Penh...
Most cities in the world are like bangkok, you have no idea what the 'armpit' of the world is. Bangkok is no paradise but i can sure promise you its a lot better off then a lot of other places.
Burma sucks....hope that helps...
Agreed
And don't diss Jersey or the South, both are really pretty.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:50 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,564,767 times
Quote:

You wouldn't want to live anywhere in the South? I could understand if it was a weather issue, but a blanket statement like that based on culture is like someone saying I wouldn't want to live anywhere in the North. The new South is a lot different than people might think. Raleigh, NC is a beautiful, growing area that has very low unemployment with many notable Universites within 20 miles and has one of the biggest research/business parks in the United States (RTP). 50% of the adult population in the Raleigh/Durham area have a 4-year college degree. There are many nice areas of the "South". I could easily talk trash about South Dakota based poor information that I might have heard or seen on TV, but I've never been there, so I don't.

Oh BTW I am not from North Carolina, but In 1.5 years I've really come to enjoy this area.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:09 PM

52 posts, read 129,174 times
I would put Rapid City, South Dakota. Low Wages, Hard to find a job, Cost of living High, A lot of dirty cops. Enough said

Old 01-22-2008, 02:09 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,737 times
There are plenty of bad places to live in the world, they are everywhere, every city has a slum, unless you are in Scandanavia, where there supposedly aren't any slums, I would say that areas like Rwanda, Sudan, and Chad are terrible places to live. People are incredibly poor, government is not helping, people aren't happy, children living in solitaire taking care of their brothers and sisters, that has to be a terrible way of life. The war in Sudan now is not helping matters, either. Central Africa is the worst place to live in the world.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:11 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,737 times
TimoMC, you are meaning to tell people that you will put South Dakota on a low ledge when there are countries where there are children going hungry, living alone, being mass murdered?

Old 01-22-2008, 04:16 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,182,943 times
Quote:

Oh, as if South Dakota were the dimple of the universe. The American South is a pretty great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World