Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Least Safest First World Country?
Germany 3 1.57%
Canada 4 2.09%
France 16 8.38%
Italy 8 4.19%
Australia 2 1.05%
Sweden 7 3.66%
USA 128 67.02%
UK 6 3.14%
Spain 7 3.66%
Other (please mention) 10 5.24%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,332,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Where are the safest cities in America? I'm guessing Seattle or Portland?

I'm pretty sure that the safest city in the US is much more safe than any city in Spain or Italy.

No, reason are guns. White peple also have guns. Quite different thowing a flower pot to your noisy neighbour than shooting him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 10:23 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,332,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Actually I really find the European big cities pretty unsafe as far as pickpockets go, with Paris, Rome, Barcelona, Brussels, Madrid, Prague being the worst.

Because there are many idiotic tourists. They tell them not to flaunt their valuable, not bags, not pay attentoin to hutlers, etc, etc...and they leave their laptops or cell phones over the table. Japanese are the easiest target as they are like bumble bees ging to ne place to the other carrying expensive equipment, which is smewhat idiotic.

Barcelona removed a large part f the problem changing the law and sending all the 80 Bulgarian girls suspect f 90 percent of roberries outside the cities.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,053,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
That is a stupid stereotype and a myth. Pickpocketing and similar is extremely rare in Europe bar a few small hotspots within certain cities, like the Colosseum area in Rome.
You're whitewashing the problem. It's quite real, not a "stupid stereotype".

Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,955,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Because there are many idiotic tourists. They tell them not to flaunt their valuable, not bags, not pay attentoin to hutlers, etc, etc...and they leave their laptops or cell phones over the table. Japanese are the easiest target as they are like bumble bees ging to ne place to the other carrying expensive equipment, which is smewhat idiotic.

Barcelona removed a large part f the problem changing the law and sending all the 80 Bulgarian girls suspect f 90 percent of roberries outside the cities.

Right, but if you go to USA you just don't see these problems.

I could take an Iphone 7 plus and leave it at a restaurant, walk out the door and come back and that phone will be at the front desk 99% of the time.

You say idiotic tourists, but in the US we just don't have those problems.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:07 PM

10,647 posts, read 16,051,492 times
Can somebody do the same poll without the USA as a option and add ALL first world countries with a population of at least 3 million?

Old 12-30-2016, 10:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,837,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
You're whitewashing the problem. It's quite real, not a "stupid stereotype".
I'm not whitewashing anything. My point is that there is a stereotype which claims that you'd have to be weary of pickpockets on every step you take in an European city. That is simply not true. What is true is that there are certain hotspots within certain cities where pickpocketing and petty theft is rampant.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:03 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,056,674 times
Homicide rates are higher in the U.S.

But most larger European countries have higher rates of crime (generally speaking), such as robbery, theft, rape, etc.

In the U.S., most of the homicides are segregated to certain areas in the city which you can easily avoid by not going to those high crime areas.

Overall, I would actually feel more safer in the U.S. than in Europe, especially since I can get a conceal carry permit and defend myself if I'm attacked or robbed. Europeans are basically defenseless against armed criminals.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:28 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,837,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
But most larger European countries have higher rates of crime (generally speaking), such as robbery, theft, rape, etc.
Statistics don't seem to confirm this, but indicate the opposite. The US have higher rates of robbery, theft and rape than UK, Germany, France and Italy.

http://www.civitas.org.uk/content/fi...ecdjan2012.pdf

Old 12-30-2016, 11:40 AM

749 posts, read 857,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
For a tourist.. Most European cities will havd a higher probability of petty crime than a US city. Americans don't worry about petty theft and pick pockets like Europeans do. It's why we are typically easy targets .

However, the homicide rate is much higher in USA than Europe.

Is your average tourist going to be involved in gang activity and be killed? Most likely not...
I think your statement is based on shortcuts. If tourists shouldn't fear criminality in the US unless they are involved with gangs, European shouldn't be wary of pickpockets since they mostly "work" around touristic attractions where locals do not usually go.
While criminality differs from that happening in Europe (whatever that means), in the US it isn't the matter of gang bangers between them only.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:23 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,955,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
I think your statement is based on shortcuts. If tourists shouldn't fear criminality in the US unless they are involved with gangs, European shouldn't be wary of pickpockets since they mostly "work" around touristic attractions where locals do not usually go.
While criminality differs from that happening in Europe (whatever that means), in the US it isn't the matter of gang bangers between them only.
Tourists are targets more in Europe is what I'm saying. A pick pocketer or thief isnt going to hang around a small bar where only locals go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World