Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities do you prefer & seem more interesting?
Canadian cities 54 48.21%
Nordic cities 58 51.79%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times

Advertisements

I am curious about transport in the suburban areas of the Nordic cities that we've seen, though I have a pretty good idea. I haven't seen any bus stops or shelters along the streets we have seen and obviously these areas aren't generally dense enough to have metro stations.

I suppose most of them probably have a bus stop somewhere along a main road a short distance away that you can walk to from most of the houses. But that for everyday stuff almost everybody drives, unless they are going to work in the city core where parking is difficult and expensive, in which case they may take the bus, or maybe take the car to a train or metro station where they then park and then ride into the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 02:16 AM

221 posts, read 343,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am curious about transport in the suburban areas of the Nordic cities that we've seen, though I have a pretty good idea. I haven't seen any bus stops or shelters along the streets we have seen and obviously these areas aren't generally dense enough to have metro stations.

I suppose most of them probably have a bus stop somewhere along a main road a short distance away that you can walk to from most of the houses. But that for everyday stuff almost everybody drives, unless they are going to work in the city core where parking is difficult and expensive, in which case they may take the bus, or maybe take the car to a train or metro station where they then park and then ride into the city.
Infact there is a bus stop almost dead centre in the picture of the link you gave me only one post ago. That tiny blue sign with two sheets of bus routes hanging further down on the pole. For some reason there was no shelter at that particular bus stop. Easy to overlook, I see. After looking at the map, I see there is a metro station about a mile from that neighbourhood.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:25 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Our metro covers most the suburbs too:

Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 AM

230 posts, read 330,574 times
Montreal metro (will expand few more stops in few years):
Montreal is the 3rd busiest metro in North America...

Toronto:

Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 AM

230 posts, read 330,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
Our metro covers most the suburbs too:
But Stockholm is the only city in Sweden with a metro/subway....

Old 08-30-2014, 07:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivierad View Post
Only Stockholm has an urban area greater than 1 million. The second biggest is barely over half a million, might not be worth to have a subway. Gothenburg, the second biggest, has a tram system. Some lines further out run grade separated, so the speeds may be decent:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...019078290e7c40

Similar to North American light rail. I was surprised Copenhagen only recently added a subway, I supposed the S-Train was sufficient for travel more than a few miles and short city trips could be taken by bus?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 AM

354 posts, read 682,195 times
Stockholm metro is at the stages of expanding as well. It is just taking forever to do so lol!

I have lived in Gothenburg and the tram system is very extensive. It works well with the bus system in the city.

Out of all the Canadian cities I have been to I think they have very decent transit system. The ones in Montreal is probably my favourite and reminds me of the one in Stockholm the most. I really like Vancouver and Toronto's as well.

Though to be honest, I don't venture too far out into the suburbs when I visit. Not that I do often here. When we visit someone or go to the country house, we take the car.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivierad View Post
But for a city of it's size, the metro system is very large.

And so what, the other cities are nowhere near as big as Stockholm, they don't really need one anyways. Gothenburg has a huge tram network, with 131 stations and handles 104 million passengers annually. That's more stations than Stockholm's metro and all of Canada's subways. For a city with just under 600,000 residents, the tram system is more than enough.

Stockholm Metro:
Stations: 100
Annual Passengers: 328,000,000

Gothenburg Tram:
Stations: 131
Annual Passengers: 104,000,000

Old 08-30-2014, 08:31 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I know some people in Ottawa who didn't believe that there was a light rail system in the city. To be fair it doesn't really touch the centre at all, and I guess it is more or less serving the purpose of commuter rail, but I still find that pretty funny.

Edmonton and Calgary also have light rail, but I believe ridership is very low. Honestly, the only passable urban train in all of Canada is Montreal's Metro. Toronto's has such an awkward design, and Vancouver's skytrain is nice and quite modern, but I find it is not so extensive in coverage.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

Edmonton and Calgary also have light rail, but I believe ridership is very low. Honestly, the only passable urban train in all of Canada is Montreal's Metro. Toronto's has such an awkward design, and Vancouver's skytrain is nice and quite modern, but I find it is not so extensive in coverage.
Calgary has the highest ridership light rail in North America. 300,000 weekday passengers for a city of just over 1 million isn't low. Annual ridership is just under Gothenberg. Lower per capita, but Calgary is much less dense. Vancouver's network has more mileage than Montreal, but Montreal's metro covers more consistently urban areas so it may feel more useful (and gets much higher ridership).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World