Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:43 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,388,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But that black American would not be told he's not a "real" American for reason of being black. He'd be in an American sub-group, but firmly American. I think that's true of Canada as well.
Its just what I've noticed.

White Americans more often than not are just Americans while African Americans are Americans, yes but that added "black" or otherness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 05:43 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well duh they originate in Africa but why say that! British blacks don't say oh I'm african British, they just say British!!

Your skin colour doesn't define you or your country/how you act!!!
What does it take to be "English," "Scottish," "Welsh," or "Irish?"

Old 10-25-2014, 05:44 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Well duh they originate in Africa but why say that! British blacks don't say oh I'm african British, they just say British!!

Your skin colour doesn't define you or your country/how you act!!!
Your posts almost reach troll status but I can tell that rather than trying to stir the pot, you really don't know any better. Firstly, refer to my other post about how White Americans address themselves. Secondly, read up on the civil rights era in the US and maybe that could shed some light on it for you I don't know.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:45 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,207,937 times
In the UK we define ourselves by the country of birth.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:46 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
How do you know that ALL African Americans go around saying "I'm African"?! I highly doubt they do so once again you are W.R.O.N.G. as always.

White Americans say they're Irish, French, German mixed with Spanish etc is that racist?!

Racism doesn't come into it but pride of where on is from.

Alot of African descendant Brits will say there both British AND Ghanaian or Trinidadian etc etc..
Exactly. I personally call myself and generally use the term "Black American".

Quote:
Yes I know the past but get over it no one cares anymore. Like my religion was persecuted but I don't go round proclaiming who I am because I know no one cares and I am not better than anyone.
People who lived through certain events will certainly still care. That's as true for black Americans my age as I suspect it's true for many in Northern Ireland who are my age.

9,962 posts, read 12,388,854 times
Hogwash, don't listen to summerwhale the UK isn't some harmonious multicultural country. People DO judge based on "ethnic" appearances just that people are PC.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:48 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,207,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
People who lived through certain events will certainly still care. That's as true for black Americans my age as I suspect it's true for many in Northern Ireland who are my age.
Yea my granny is still bitter. But in my generation there are still bitter people and this is what I don't understand because we were not affected!!

Old 10-25-2014, 05:50 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,724,157 times
Quote:
Tbh when I went to the USA this summer the Indians made no attempt to assimilate into American culture.
Well, that's key, isn't it? I don't think there are any countries where people who make absolutely no effort to assimilate into the local culture are thought of as "a true [member of whatever country]."

I know there are Indians (and people from just about every other country on the face of the earth) who DO attempt to assimilate into US culture, and they are accepted. California, where I live, is perhaps more liberal in this regard than some states/regions, so I may be biased, but my friends of Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, Malaysian etc. origin are certainly accepted as Americans.

And the number of US citizens who, when asked their national identity, would respond with the name of a state or region, must be vanishingly small.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
In the UK we define ourselves by the country of birth.
I'm asking this honestly: So then someone of Jamaican or Nigerian ancestry born in Scotland can call himself "Scottish" and get no raised eyebrows? I'm not talking about government records--because your OP was not about government records--I'm talking about the attitudes and opinions of those with pure native Scottish ancestry? Same question for Ireland, England, and Wales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World