Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you visit?
Atlanta 0 0%
Boston 13 18.57%
Chicago 11 15.71%
Dallas 2 2.86%
Houston 2 2.86%
Philadelphia 4 5.71%
San Francisco 23 32.86%
Seattle 7 10.00%
Washington, DC 8 11.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 06:37 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times

Advertisements

Charleston south Carolina would be a good choice also. It is also one of the oldest cities and rich with history, and one of the centers of the slave trade here in the states. It is a beautiful southern city and the food and shopping is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:00 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Only interested in California and New Orleans.

Don't really care for the rest...

Old 11-13-2014, 10:25 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You are qualifying the value of History based only on it's age. History is about the signifcance of events and culture. Some people are very interested in the 17th and 18th centuries. Some people are fascinated by the extension of European civilization in the New World.

Are Tudor villages not worth visiting because they are hundreds of years younger than Norman keeps? Do you wonder why would someone visit a Norman keep when neolithic monuments like Stonehenge are thousands of years older.

Is it unfathomable that someone visiting Berlin might like to see where the Berlin wall stood? That wall came down less than 30 years ago. I suppose you don't think it has any real historic value. At least not until it is several hundred years old.

Boston may not appeal to those who are fascinated only by antiquity, but it does have some very compelling history.
I would agree that there are certain parts of American history like the American Civil War, Colonial Virginia, Native Americans or maybe Philadelphia in 1776 that might be interesting to a European.

But I am glad you mention the 17th and 18th centuries. There is city after city in Europe; London, Paris, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Berlin, Vienna, St Petersburg, Venice, Rome, Madrid, Stockholm, etc. that dwarfs just about any city in the US or Canada for that time period. This was the time of Louis the Sun King, the Swedish Empire, the Dutch Golden Age, the Jacobites and Frederick the Great.

And that does not include everything else from the Ancient Celts, Greeks and Romans all the way to WW1 and WW2 battlefields. Roman and Greek ruins, gladiators, the druids, Castles, Royal Palaces, knights on horseback, William Tell, Joan of Arc, El Cid, the Sound dues, the Hapsburgs, the Napoleonic Wars, the Hanseatic League - I could go on and on.

So that is why I think it is strange that someone would cross the Atlantic to see Boston, for instance, when they have so much history at home. Its not even remotely comparable.

Now Americans being interested in Boston history - that's a different story. Plus Boston is a great city in its own right. But her history cannot compare to what is all over the old world.

If you knew me, the bolded is really an unfair comment.

Last edited by LINative; 11-13-2014 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 02:06 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,206,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Only interested in California and New Orleans.

Don't really care for the rest...
Thats pretty much where everyone in Aussie goes to..

Old 11-14-2014, 02:24 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Boston winning against Chicago

Old 11-14-2014, 01:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I too would recommend San Antonio. I don't agree that Texas is all suburbia. Texas is a huge state and a lot of small towns, ranches and the Hill Country is beautiful!. East Texas has a lot of forest, West Texas is desert, North Texas plains and South Texas has the gulf. It is a very diverse state.

I grew up in Southern California but Orange County and Los Angeles County is all suburbs. San Diego is beautiful and once you get north of L.A. California is amazing.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

A visit to Texas isn't complete without a day or two in Fort Worth - great museums, great downtown area, and the stockyards are so interesting, with rodeos, lots of history, trains, great food, etc. Oh, and the twice daily cattle drives right up the main street! Really cool.

Northern Cali is fabulous. Then drive straight up that coastline to Seattle, with plenty of stops along the way. Look out for whales!

I would highly recommend New Orleans, LA to anyone visiting the US, as well as Nashville, TN and the Appalachian mountains. Asheville, NC would be a great destination for a feeling of small town with an artsy flair. Charleston and Savannah would also be good destinations because of the beaches and the interesting history and architecture.

And southern food just about can't be beat - in any of the towns I just mentioned!

Old 11-14-2014, 02:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.

A visit to Texas isn't complete without a day or two in Fort Worth - great museums, great downtown area, and the stockyards are so interesting, with rodeos, lots of history, trains, great food, etc. Oh, and the twice daily cattle drives right up the main street! Really cool.

Northern Cali is fabulous. Then drive straight up that coastline to Seattle, with plenty of stops along the way. Look out for whales!

I would highly recommend New Orleans, LA to anyone visiting the US, as well as Nashville, TN and the Appalachian mountains. Asheville, NC would be a great destination for a feeling of small town with an artsy flair. Charleston and Savannah would also be good destinations because of the beaches and the interesting history and architecture.

And southern food just about can't be beat - in any of the towns I just mentioned!
KA, you've been to Seattle but not Vancouver, B.C.? I remember you saying it was too far. It's only a 2 hour drive from Seattle.
Next time you must make the effort !!

Old 11-14-2014, 02:33 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
KA, you've been to Seattle but not Vancouver, B.C.? I remember you saying it was too far. It's only a 2 hour drive from Seattle.
Next time you must make the effort !!
I know, I know - I need to get to Canada one day! It's bound to be beautiful, especially the Vancouver area.

I was actually moving SOUTH, not north, from Seattle, so Canada was going to be quite a bit out of my way before it was all said and done, on that trip!

Old 11-14-2014, 03:12 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I know, I know - I need to get to Canada one day! It's bound to be beautiful, especially the Vancouver area.

I was actually moving SOUTH, not north, from Seattle, so Canada was going to be quite a bit out of my way before it was all said and done, on that trip!
OK, I forgive you. Here's another enticement made by one of your fellow citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vZ6we6WPBA

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qy7G_kobfg

Old 11-14-2014, 03:51 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,689,589 times
New Orleans, LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World