Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer downtowns with European architecture or those resembling American ones with skyscraper
European downtowns (and architecture) 115 76.16%
Americanized downtowns (with skyscrapers) 36 23.84%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 02:19 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,249,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
UK Cities are often quite historic and are full of Victorian, Georgian Architecture or even older architecture, they bare little resemblance to most US Cities.
Don't worry, Irene's just displaying her ignorance once more. How does a city like Cambridge, for one example, resemble anything in the US?!

I give her new account three days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 02:24 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,847,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Speaking of homes and houses, what are your thoughts on these "post-modern" type of house that are newly built in western Sydney?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33....2!8i6656?hl=en
Looks way too plain. The mortar joints visible between elements is something I wouldn't like to see in the 2000's anymore.

Untreatened concrete looks acceptable there now, but wait when 10 years of rain and grit has done their effect on the front, the houses will look awful.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:25 AM

27,254 posts, read 13,540,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Don't worry, Irene's just displaying her ignorance once more. How does a city like Cambridge, for one example, resemble anything in the US?!

I give her new account three days!

LOL - even the industrial cities in the Northern England and the cities of Scotland are full of beautiful grand Victorian and Georgian architecture.

I also wouldn't generalise with regard to New Zealand, Australia, Canada and other countries cities if I were her.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-03-2016 at 02:56 AM..

Old 09-03-2016, 02:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,847,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
I like contemporary designed houses or buildings in general. But your examples from Sydney seems quite shoddy to me.
Here's a video from a new district being built in Helsinki. I'd like a bit more ambition, but I'll guess it will be a nice district:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSl3N_sekdk

Old 09-03-2016, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 9,385 times
Quote:
Which look more aesthetically pleasing and vibrant, those skyscraper-filled downtowns of America, Canada, Australia....and let's add East Asia, or those more traditional ones in Europe with low to medium density terraced buildings and classical architecture?

So basically...

This...

http://www.denverinfill.com/images/b...-16_paris4.jpg

Or this?

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/13348936-lg.jpg
European downtown hands down...

... The culture and even vibe etc...

Old 09-03-2016, 09:41 AM

64 posts, read 66,035 times
UK cities are dense like European cities... No need to attack me for making a mistake!

Old 09-03-2016, 09:42 AM

Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, USA cities are vast sprawls with little public transportation, heavily relying on private cars so that you can go from point A to B.

European cities (also latin American as they were funded by Europeans), are dense cities, with neighborhoods surrounding the city center, and all relies on large public transportation.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:48 AM

US, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AFRICA.

EUROPE

Old 09-03-2016, 09:56 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,376,175 times
Quote:
Speaking of homes and houses, what are your thoughts on these "post-modern" type of house that are newly built in western Sydney?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33....2!8i6656?hl=en
Do not like. Too crowded and austere. They look like an industrial park, like storage lockers, like shipping containers... They won't look so barracks-like once the trees grow and hide them, but they aren't even a nice minimalist design IMO... too chunky, a patchwork of boxes in various shades of beige. Like Stalinesque public housing.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:01 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,376,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney-Melbrooke View Post
Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, USA cities are vast sprawls with little public transportation, heavily relying on private cars so that you can go from point A to B.

European cities (also latin American as they were funded by Europeans), are dense cities, with neighborhoods surrounding the city center, and all relies on large public transportation.
Eastern cities in Canada and the U.S. are older and were laid out Europe-style. So Boston, NYC, Philadelphia, Montreal, Toronto, etc. have suburban sprawl, but they also have quite dense city cores with excellent public transit.

The worse sprawl is out west. Highrises are uncommon, there are many one-storey houses, streets are wide, and the sprawl is really amazing. The perception of space is completely different... no one has to consider making the most of limited space, they have all the room to build that they want. Completely different mentality towards building out.

I'd dispute how dense South American cities are. Mexico City sprawls incredibly, as do many other Latin American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World