Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 10:42 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,850,606 times

Advertisements

I am Viking-British, my mum is Roman-British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:08 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
Well it really depends what you consider here as if you compare NYC vs Paris, I don't think Paris is more expensive...
I agree regarding hotels. NYC and Paris are comparable. But NYC is a massive outlier in the U.S., and Paris is not really an outlier in Europe.

If you go from Paris to, say, Florence, or Madrid, or Vienna, you will have about the same hotel prices as in Paris. But if you from NYC to any other random U.S. city, hotel prices will be much lower (maybe half).

To me, food is significantly cheaper in NYC than in Paris, even if you are ordering prix fixe. Prices for food in NYC are the same as everywhere else in the U.S., which is to say lower than everywhere in the Eurozone.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,489,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: "After all these two cultures are very close to each other America was founded by Europeans"

And Europeans should be proud their 'lil kid' did good....;-)..... We couldn't call ourselves 'The Old World' you know?
You are right, there is definately some kind of an understanding

Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I am Viking-British, my mum is Roman-British.
What do you mean by "Viking-British"? Your anchestor got raped by a viking?

Old 03-08-2015, 01:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
The raping only lasted for a few summers. Best to just get past it and trade some mutton with Olaf.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
What do you mean by "Viking-British"? Your anchestor got raped by a viking?
How do you know? I could have came from an Viking, Briton, Norman or Roman. Who knows what my blood line is!

Old 03-08-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
How do you know? I could have came from an Viking, Briton, Norman or Roman. Who knows what my blood line is!
Umm you are the one who is "Viking-British". I just wanted to know what that means

PS. British people were such a *******. This is how you treat vikings: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_at_Herdaler

Old 03-08-2015, 02:42 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
I guess I will ask this here and not in USA or Americas because it also has to do with Europe.

A couple of years ago we were having breakfast at a common table in a nice B&B in New Orleans. My wife and I started some casual conversation with a couple (in their 50s) from Atlanta. The conversation was about New Orleans, how they liked to go there as often as they could because it was a fun city, etc. We were saying that we were having a good time in New Orleans and what we did before that (we were in Florida before that). They also asked us where were we from, and we told them we were from Spain but living in Brussels, Belgium. Then they asked us how do we find the cost of life in New Orleans, and in the USA in general, if everything was much more expensive than in Spain or Brussels. And then I answered back that actually we were surprised by how cheap everything was. Exchange rate at the time was something like $1.42 USD per Euro, so we were getting nice hotels or B&B for about 60 or 70 euros per night, and meals were really cheap (less than 20 euros both of us in a nice restaurant). I said that it was cheaper than Spain and much cheaper than Brussels (which is generally more expensive than Madrid).

From that moment on, they changed their behaviour towards us, almost not saying anything else, and about 2 mins later they left. We were a bit surprised because we didn't understand if we had offended them in any way.

Thinking about it afterwards maybe when you make casual conversations in the USA and you get asked questions there is an unwritten rule that says that you shouldn't say the truth but instead lie about your impressions and opinions? Maybe they were expecting us to say how expensive everything was? Or we came accross as arrogants because we said everything was cheaper than back home?

Culture clash?
Anyone with an insight about it?
Since you are Spanish, Americans might indeed come across as a bit cold or unfriendly. I have seen interviews with Portuguese emigrants living in the US and Canada, many of them have made similar comments. I guess when you come from a country where total strangers start conversations and touch each other, it must be hard to deal with Americans/Canadians, or Germans.
By far the harshest comments I have heard about that so far came from African immigrants in the US. I remember that woman (I think she was Somali), she was so sad. She said where she came from people leave their doors open and neighbors drop by to chat. In the US nobody visits her, nobody has time, etc.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Umm you are the one who is "Viking-British". I just wanted to know what that means

PS. British people were such a *******. This is how you treat vikings: Battle at Herdaler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It was a joke - because all the Americans say Italian American etc.

Sarcasm not a Finnish trait I see.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Since you are Spanish, Americans might indeed come across as a bit cold or unfriendly. I have seen interviews with Portuguese emigrants living in the US and Canada, many of them have made similar comments. I guess when you come from a country where total strangers start conversations and touch each other, it must be hard to deal with Americans/Canadians, or Germans.
By far the harshest comments I have heard about that so far came from African immigrants in the US. I remember that woman (I think she was Somali), she was so sad. She said where she came from people leave their doors open and neighbors drop by to chat. In the US nobody visits her, nobody has time, etc.
What the hell... Americans are super open with strangers, maybe less "touching".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World