Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 07:02 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Again get a GRIP. You asked for our opinion so when we give it don't get all offended!

What do you want us to do? Aw yeah Canada is absolutely glamous, its so life changing while inside thinking its crap. Naw.
Who are you talking to? Talk about getting a grip while you have a freakin conniption fit over there. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 07:16 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Well your whinning about him criticising America when they asked for opinions..

Old 05-03-2015, 07:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well your whinning about him criticising America when they asked for opinions..
Are you reading the same thread as me? If there even was any "whining" about a criticism of America, it was from steeps, not me. I was defending botticelli's position on how he feels.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:32 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
But honestly, I don't see the Florida attraction, either. It's a big ol' swamp sticking out into the Gulf of Mexico. lol
Florida is nice for a vacation. But I don't get the attraction of living there either.

It's a long, phallus-shaped peninsula that feels rather isolated from mainstream America. And it's too hot most of the time.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:47 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Are you reading the same thread as me? If there even was any "whining" about a criticism of America, it was from steeps, not me. I was defending botticelli's position on how he feels.
I was reading the posts and was wondering where he was coming from.. I read a few times and still didn't know.. When I read yours it just confirmed that I wasn't the only one going

Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Florida is nice for a vacation. But I don't get the attraction of living there either.

It's a long, phallus-shaped peninsula that feels rather isolated from mainstream America. And it's too hot most of the time.
what difference does that make....

Old 05-03-2015, 09:24 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,282,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I was reading the posts and was wondering where he was coming from.. I read a few times and still didn't know.. When I read yours it just confirmed that I wasn't the only one going
I merely go by reading OTHER threads TOO....someone post comments in, and we also commented to each other in some other threads. Many of us show a pattern of post in both Canadian and American side of C-D threads.

Negativity toward American cities. Praise to European ones, and also as someone ELSE in this thread said.... toward other Canadian cities too? Except for Toronto.

I surely realize all opinions are valid as another's. But I read his post elsewhere....saying he lived in Chicago to Texas and did not like either enough to stay. Part was Americans he disliked also. He doesn't like Florida either.... he said here. SO I THEN SAID HE SHOULD AVOID THE US IF HE MOVES FROM CANADA AND GO BACK TO EUROPEAN CITIES HE ALWAYS PRAISES.

Of course if "Botticelli" wants to comment and say ... he never said he did not like living in Chicago? Nor in Texas? Nor as he said this thread of Florida..... "he does not understand why others love Florida" ?

If he did not say theses things? Then what I said.....was inaccurate perhaps? America might be for him after all?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I merely go by reading OTHER threads TOO....someone post comments in, and we also commented to each other in some other threads. Many of us show a pattern of post in both Canadian and American side of C-D threads.

Negativity toward American cities. Praise to European ones, and also as someone ELSE in this thread said.... toward other Canadian cities too? Except for Toronto.

I surely realize all opinions are valid as another's. But I read his post elsewhere....saying he lived in Chicago to Texas and did not like either enough to stay. Part was Americans he disliked also. He doesn't like Florida either.... he said here. SO I THEN SAID HE SHOULD AVOID THE US IF HE MOVES FROM CANADA AND GO BACK TO EUROPEAN CITIES HE ALWAYS PRAISES.

Of course if "Botticelli" wants to comment and say ... he never said he did not like living in Chicago? Nor in Texas? Nor as he said this thread of Florida..... "he does not understand why others love Florida" ?

If he did not say theses things? Then what I said.....was inaccurate perhaps? America might be for him after all?
Mags and I weren't refering to Botti we were refering to sickandtiredofthis.. I don't find Botti negative towards American cities.. He just likes urbanity so for him Euro cities are more to his liking. Its his perogative but knowing Botti he isn't negative he just knows what he likes.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-03-2015 at 09:53 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 01:34 AM

50 posts, read 63,316 times
I'm from Canada and have had the good fortune of living all over the US and I would never consider moving back to Canada... ever. Great country in many ways but boring in comparison. The weather sucks compared to the good parts of the US, it's lacking in culture and history and the people seem to have a "little brother" inferiority complex. Canada tries to be "cool" like the US but comes off as dorky and then hates on the US. Snowmobile ramping during half-time of the Grey Cup to Hinder!!?? I mean give me a break.

If you want energy, fun, endless things to do, endless unique landscapes and friendly people, the US is the way to go. I don't even find Canadians particularly friendly compared to Americans. Canadians are very meek. They'll say hi and then stare at the ground or run away whereas americans are typically very outgoing, can carry a conversation well and seem far less insecure.

Canada has a variety of natural beauty, some beautiful women, health care (good and bad), a good global reputation and plenty of open spaces. It's a relatively safe place and a good country to raise a family and enjoy a nice simple life.

On paper, Canada is the better country due to all of America's problems (debt, schools, crime, etc) but in terms of enjoyment, if you can manage to live in the good states, there is no comparison between the weather, general vibe, polish, presentation and fun.

I guess you could put it this way: The best things the US has to offer beats the best things Canada has to offer by miles and miles but the worst of the US is far worse than the worst of Canada. Take your pick! For me it's the US all day long.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:59 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
No, don't think of it like this. Canada and the USA are superifically and culturally similar, but the politics are a whole different ballgame. Everytime I cross the border I notice a general more aggressive, cutthroat style of political heat, and everyone's opinions on things are just so much more all over the place. There's a fair share of things up here that are no longer major debates, which can't be said for down south; gay marriage, assisted suicide, abortion, something of a universalized healthcare.... I'm sure if you picked like, Portland, Seattle or SF, this may not be much different from in big city Canada, but considering Canada is still a bit too 'rightish' for my own tastes, there is undisputably an overall palpable difference in this regard.
Pretty spot on comment, especially about the differences in the political systems and the spectrum of politics. I had a similar experience when I moved from America to Canada last year. There is a lot more hype, drama, and excitement in U.S. politics that seems lacking in Canadian federal or provincial politics, so much drama to the point that House of Cards has probably become one of the most popular TV series in U.S. history.

Also, certain issues in America seem to have a much more contentious edge than their corresponding issues in Canada. For example, Canada also has certain ethnic tensions and poverty problems in major cities, but never to the point where they would cause riots on the streets and prompt the government to declare state of emergency. A lot of social and political issues in Canada are just much more subdued.

Lastly, Canadian politics seems to offer *slightly more* variety, as I think there are currently around five political parties represented in the national parliament, ranging from Conservatives (who seem to be a lot less conservative than their GOP counterparts), Liberals (centrist - can lean left or right), NDP (decisively left), Greens (left, I think?), and one or two Quebecois parties. So It's not just a simple GOP vs. Democrats, because a lot of these parties can lean both left and right depending on individual policies - for example the Conservatives are always fiscally conservative but still stand by universal health care coverage, which would be an unthinkable and politically suicidal position to take in America for anyone in the GOP camp.

Anyway, these are just my observations so far, probably not a wholly accurate one but that's the general impression I got during the past year here in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World