Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 PM

103 posts, read 82,591 times

Advertisements

It's estimated that our planet could reach 10 billion people in the year 2050 if things are going the way they are now. I heard that if we were to double the production of every single crop on earth, we would be able to support the lifestyle we have now even with 10 billion people on earth. I'm assuming that means that there will still be crap loads of people starving every day but I'm not too sure if that's accurate or not.

So, what do you guys think about the future of our planet? More efficient farming or synthesized food? The end of starvation in less developed countries or the food gap getting worse?

Do you think we would even get to 10 billion people if it's a well known fact that higher income/education/industrialization generally leads to people having less children?

Another awesome thing to think about is how much more globalized our earth will become. More immigration, more paths crossing, and more opportunities for people. I personally think that's awesome. Any comments on that?

Feel free to post anything you'd like pertaining to the future of earth! I think these things are really interesting.
Technology, population booms in cities, food consumption, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:41 PM

338 posts, read 335,122 times
We need to reduce the world population, and no, I am not referring to the masses in India or Africa who use very few resource but the generation of eaters in the western world who would not survive a day of hardship.

Old 08-12-2015, 11:07 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post

So, what do you guys think about the future of our planet? More efficient farming or synthesized food? The end of starvation in less developed countries or the food gap getting worse?

Do you think we would even get to 10 billion people if it's a well known fact that higher income/education/industrialization generally leads to people having less children?

Another awesome thing to think about is how much more globalized our earth will become. More immigration, more paths crossing, and more opportunities for people. I personally think that's awesome. Any comments on that?

Feel free to post anything you'd like pertaining to the future of earth! I think these things are really interesting.
Technology, population booms in cities, food consumption, etc.
The planet will be here long after we're gone (barring some catastrophic asteroid impact)
Efficient farming / synthesized food: we have to various degrees and improving, although, perhaps more alarming is the push by corporate entities to control the food source for profit (Monsanto comes readily to mind)
The Complete History of Monsanto, “The World
With leaders of industry like this who needs enemies!

These guiding principles may someday be applied by elites after they have 'farmed' and culled the remainder for their self benefit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Guidestones

American Stonehenge: Monumental Instructions for the Post-Apocalypse

Globalization works when their is equal respect, consideration of other view points and a realization of mutual cooperation. Diversity works when people can respect others and embraces a diversity of intellect and seeking / striving toward truth. Imposed diversity or 'diversity' for diversity's sake is a recipe for disaster.

Good read is R Buckminster Fuller's, Critical Path. There are many paths to choose for the future of the planet and too many are driven by metrics that are inherently not conducive to the benefit of uplifting humankind beyond what can be sold for the largest marginal unit profit.

Economic systems oriented to debt based fiat currency, and socializing the risk to the many and privatizing the profit to the few, have got to go before things ever improve for the majority of those living on the planet. IMO

Agreed upon basic human rights and acceptable and punishable behaviors should be discussed amongst all peoples. Certain types that willingly / knowingly engage in destructive behaviors may be best removed permanently from existence (Human traffickers, Drug enslaving Profiteers, etc...).

It sounds cold but if you want to improve humanity the negative leveraged social models that have been propagated by predominantly western mass media outlets bathing the populous in 'bitterment' (because of their lack of things) needs to be recognized for the disease it is; as well as, the "political/corporate controlling" class promoting destructive social programs to curry large dependency based voting blocs of ignorance; and military financial class who profits exponentially from real physical destruction and managed scarcity of primary natural resources for gain and retention of hegemony.

This post gets to some of the issues to move everyone forward...
//www.city-data.com/forum/great...l#post40401439

Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
FAO keeps records of average agricultural yields by crop. vast room for improvement in most of the developing/underdeveloped world. although i do think this will ultimately become a non-issue when nanotech gets to the point where molecular assemblers are viable and this should happen within the next century.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:16 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
Default I'd say both your honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahhammer View Post
We need to reduce the world population, and no, I am not referring to the masses in India or Africa who use very few resource but the generation of eaters in the western world who would not survive a day of hardship.
When poplulations are in the billions and growing (africa, indian subcontinent, middle east) it's not sustainable for the resources and the environment, even if they consume less than tha westerners.
People from any country and continent should stop breeding right now if they want to save the Planet

Old 08-13-2015, 05:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Half of all the food that is harvested today on the planet is never eaten by a human. Today, we are producing enough food for 14-billion people. Half of it feeds the 7-billion we've got, the other half is wasted.

Think of how many fruits and vegetables are discarded, not pretty enough to be put on supermarket shelves. Think of your own uneaten table scraps, or leftovers that spoil in the fridge. Think of all the food that is trashed because it passes its best-by date on supermarket shelves. Think of how much third world food spoils because of inefficient storage or transport capacity.

All of that can be used to sustain many more billions of people on the planet, without increasing the yield above what it is now. One-third of a billion obese Americans eat enough food to sustain a billion people, and throw away enough to sustain another billion. A half a billion Europeans match that, so right there, you have food to feed four billion more people, just being gulped down or scraped off plates right now by the overfed rich.

On the other end, the number of people in the world who are clinically malnourished is very small, probably under ten percent. They are underfed not because of an absence or shortage of food, but by a failure of economic systems to distribute what is already plenty of food.

Not to mention the number of people who could be fed from land that is now producing non-foods cash-crops, like tea, coffee, sugar, cocoa, tobacco, alcohol, still a few textiles, and increasingly, motor fuels.

And finally, every legitimate demographer unanimously agrees that the planet's population will level off at 10- or 11-billion, as economically secure families feel diminshed need to reproduce beyond replacement levels. The world is already producing enough food for that many people, but fails to preserve or distribute it with an easily attainable level of efficiency.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-13-2015 at 05:52 AM..

Old 08-14-2015, 02:51 PM

549 posts, read 722,733 times
Quote:
Generalize much?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
While I can't totally disagree with you, there are a large number of humans on this Earth that could be removed making ourselves a happier planet.

Politicians should probably be the first, then we'll branch out from there.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Dat View Post
there are a large number of humans on this Earth that could be removed making ourselves a happier planet.
I think we've just reached Godwin's Law.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:11 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World