Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 12:47 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Europe and America. Both have some advantages and disadvantages. Is one better than the other? While I enjoyed the few years I lived in Europe, I certainly prefer the good old US.

Fact is, you can spend quite a bit of money on an education. However, there are quite a few employers will pay for your education. In my case, ITT and Northern Telecom paid for a good portion of mine (along with Unlce Sam). As a business owner, I have paid to educate many of my employees. Now, if you are grossly in debt due to your college education expenses you probably made some poor choices-there are other avenues. Some of the people that I know that are in debt, received degrees (or not) that will never provide them with the income to easily repay the debt-a poor investment in my mind.

I never had any issues with the health care system in the US prior to the current changes. High quality care with reasonably quick access and reasonably priced (for most).

Old 12-16-2015, 01:15 AM

246 posts, read 230,645 times
The reason why Europe has a better quality of life than the US b/c the Europe don't have to invest heavy on its military than the US. Sadly, the majority of Europe feels that the US will come to their aid at anytime. However this is not true due to the US military's budget cuts & conflicts in the Middle East to be focused. Slowly, the US will close its military bases in Europe; therefore, Europe will have to invest on its military & fight its own conflicts. You will see by how Europe will have to reduce its quality of life aka social programs for military spending to protect its borders & enemies.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:34 AM

181 posts, read 155,618 times
America by far. (Well maybe not if you're poor)

Old 12-16-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I have lived in Europe and America. Both have some advantages and disadvantages. Is one better than the other? While I enjoyed the few years I lived in Europe, I certainly prefer the good old US.

Fact is, you can spend quite a bit of money on an education. However, there are quite a few employers will pay for your education. In my case, ITT and Northern Telecom paid for a good portion of mine (along with Unlce Sam). As a business owner, I have paid to educate many of my employees. Now, if you are grossly in debt due to your college education expenses you probably made some poor choices-there are other avenues. Some of the people that I know that are in debt, received degrees (or not) that will never provide them with the income to easily repay the debt-a poor investment in my mind.

I never had any issues with the health care system in the US prior to the current changes. High quality care with reasonably quick access and reasonably priced (for most).
Well our education doesn't cost £200,000 to be fair. I think i'd be struggling badly if I was living in America and doing what I am doing now at university and my parents are not poor.

I don't know how working class people pay off that sort of fee. I was told you have to pay it off straight away aswell.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
Well healthcare, in Europe by law everyone has to have access to medical care. In America on the other hand you need to have a good source of income to be able to afford decent healthcare.

Another thing is education. School in Europe is very cheap. I studied my bachelor's degree for about 2 thousand dollars. All five years of education and that was how much I had to pay. In America I've spoken with several US bachelor degree holders who are in debt, some owe up to 70 thousand dollars and that is just a bachelor degree. Not a masters or a PHD!

Another thing is work benefits. Even the low entry level workers in my job have vacation time off, paid off... in June the cleaning lady of our office goes home to Portugal for an entire month with her month off paid off!! In America you need a really good job to be able to do that!

A working class European often lives a healthier lifestyle, with more time off, eats better food as portions here are healthier and smaller with less GMO agents, has a social net that protects him/her in case they lose their job. Overall more peace of mind!

About apartments... it's ok, there is nothing wrong with apartments!! There are apartments out there that are so nice you even have a terrace with a garden. Apartments are not all cluttered and on top of one another.
Europe isn't a country, there is not one law for every country in this continent.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fagrance View Post
I also lived in a house and I hate it... there is so much to clean, at times I feel lonely there.

I liked living in an apartment a lot because I was able to clean it in one hour, less stuff laying around, you don't feel lonely.

There are flats out there that are ecological so they have huge glass doors with views to gardens, so you're in nature.

Bigger is not better!
My mum is always moaning about cleaning our house lol.

Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRINCE-DARKNESS View Post
You will see by how Europe will have to reduce its quality of life aka social programs for military spending to protect its borders & enemies.
You are really one of those that believe the logistics units in Europe are there to defend other countries?

Old 12-16-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediculousaffairs View Post
Well our education doesn't cost £200,000 to be fair. I think i'd be struggling badly if I was living in America and doing what I am doing now at university and my parents are not poor.

I don't know how working class people pay off that sort of fee. I was told you have to pay it off straight away aswell.
FYI,

£200,000 for education aka university in the US will be equivalent total cost to become a medical surgeon. A medical surgeon will earn 6 digit income salary or above upon his/her completion of medical school. Poor people aka working class? Poor/Working Class can have the option to attend a 2 yr. junior college to be affordable than a 4 yr. university; thus, they can apply for financial aid aka federal & state govt. education assistance to cover their tuition & fees. Yes they might have to pay the textbooks out of their pocket, but it is the long term to earn a college degree into the professional world. After they complete their 2 yr. junior college programs of an associate's degree & credit/grade point average requirements, then they can transfer to any 4 yr. university (public or private) and earn a bachelor's, master's, PhD degrees. Yes again, they can apply for financial aid to assist their university tuition & fees. If they applied for student loans, then they have a 6 mos to 1 yr. grace period to receive a bill for payment upon their university degree completion. This is when they decide honestly to pursue their college degree of education.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
You are really one of those that believe the logistics units in Europe are there to defend other countries?
Sorry, but these are the facts. Yes I served in the US Military for 6 yrs (USAF) to experience on this manner. I did some TDYs aka Tour of Duties at NATO Headquarters & Joint Command Centers (Belgium, Netherlands, & Spain) to work with other member nations. The NATO nations (Continental Europe) do not have the mass military equipment to protect themselves upon an enemy invasion. Sadly, they will call the US to assist the NATO nations upon its distress & trouble. This is why Europe invests a lot of money on its social programs: education, medical, welfare, etc. Time will tell when Europe can defend on its own before we know it.

Old 12-16-2015, 09:01 PM

531 posts, read 594,983 times
I would choose Europe for city and rural life. USA for suburban life. I love their large suburban homes with spacious yards. Considering other quality of life factors, which are many, I think their pros and cons roughly balance out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World