Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 07:05 PM

134 posts, read 162,340 times

Advertisements

For example Netherlands and the Flemish part of Belgium. While the French part of Belgium is extremely similar to Northern France.

I found that the South Western part of the US (Texas especially) resembles Mexico (with the whole cowboy, spicy food, desertic landscapes, cattle raising etc.) I remember thinking about how much both Texans and Mexicans loved big cars, big houses, big food portions. On both sides of the border!

Northern US is almost impossible to set apart from English speaking Canada, if it wasn't for immigration control, you would not realize you changed country.

Norway and Sweden, although Norwegians look down on the Swedish, I think the Norwegians see themselves as superior to the Swedes who go to Norway to look for work.

In South America I found that Colombia and Brazil seemed very similar, I would even venture to say that Colombia is a spanish speaking version of Brazil, both multiracial societies with almost the same problematic with crime and inequality but also good things in both places that are actually similar like easy going good looking people, excellent music, amazon rainforest etc.

Also in South America, Uruguay is almost impossible to set apart from Argentina. Even the Uruguay accent is pretty much the same as Argentinian. In fact Uruguay resembles the Buenos Aires region of Argentina more than some other parts of Argentina resemble their capital region.

Ireland and Northern Ireland. I found that North Ireland is more British, you can really see the influence but they are still pretty much the same people.

Southern Florida and Cuba. Miami is like a well cared for Havana, with art deco architecture, similar athmopshere, even culture is similar. Havana and Miami truly have a connection, you can clearly see it.

Any other countries or regions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 10:04 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,500 times
Austria and Germany, Portugal and Spain, easy ones like Czech and Slovakia to name a few.

Southern Florida ain't like Cuba. Thats insulting and like disrespectful even bad to say that.

Last edited by owl6969; 11-19-2015 at 10:28 PM..

Old 11-20-2015, 12:18 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
Thats insulting and like disrespectful even bad to say that.
How so? You just made sweeping generalizations for six other countries yourself.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:34 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,668,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
How so? You just made sweeping generalizations for six other countries yourself.
smh.. You just compared a poor communist country to something that is quite opposite.

Sweeping generalizations????? These are based or come from documentaries, books, articles, films, informative pieces and shows.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:15 AM

502 posts, read 655,295 times
it is a fact that an important number of miami population comes from Cuba, so there are some similarities....

Old 11-20-2015, 01:20 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Canada/US, Germany/Austria, New Zealand/Australia, and to some extent you could say USA/Canada/UK/Australia/New Zealand. I don't know as much about the culture of the Arabian peninsula but I bet you could argue that Saudi Arabia shares some traits with other Gulf states like the UAE or Kuwait.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:43 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
I would say countries that border each other and countries that share a language and therefore 'popular' culture will most likely be 'similar' in many ways.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:33 AM

134 posts, read 162,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl6969 View Post
smh.. You just compared a poor communist country to something that is quite opposite.

Sweeping generalizations????? These are based or come from documentaries, books, articles, films, informative pieces and shows.
Cuba actually has better health care and higher literacy rates than the US. It's materially poor because of the US embargo.

Pre-Castro Havana was actually pretty much a bigger, more important version of Miami.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
I will give -100 rep points to anyone who suggests Finland and Estonia.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:55 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Lets only compare non-neighboring countries, We already know how similar USA-Canada are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World