Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 11:48 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,939 times

Advertisements

I thought a lot about an interesting (but not so famous) place, and at finally I've found this one:

Tenuta Torrone della Colombara, in Livorno Ferraris (Vercelli province)

Since 1500 this building is owned by families that direct the rice cultivation in the surrounding areas. It is like a 500 years old farm for the cultivation of rice only in practice.
Nowadays they produce a particular variant "carnaroli rice", a really high quality one (carnaroli is the rice for the risotto).
The building once hosted an autonomous community, something like a little village that lived around rice cultivation. Nowadays the history of those people is shown in a rice museum, hosted in the same building.
The building also hosts the machines necessary for preparing the rice for selling.

Spoiler

I remind you that the areas of Vercelli, and the near Novara, are famous for their the paddy fields for rice production
https://www.google.it/search?hl=it&s...PT6JbATalfM%3A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 01:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Equally if not more beautiful than it's famous " sister " Lake Louise, is lesser known ( at least outside of Canada ) Moraine Lake.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:23 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Anyway, here's a look at Moncalieri, a town on the outskirts of Turin. It should be a suburb but it doesn't have the typical appearance of one. In fact, it has a rich history having fought with Turin for centuries and having lost the control of the area in the XII century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
I thought a lot about an interesting (but not so famous) place, and at finally I've found this one:

Tenuta Torrone della Colombara, in Livorno Ferraris (Vercelli province)

Since 1500 this building is owned by families that direct the rice cultivation in the surrounding areas. It is like a 500 years old farm for the cultivation of rice only in practice.
Nowadays they produce a particular variant "carnaroli rice", a really high quality one (carnaroli is the rice for the risotto).
The building once hosted an autonomous community, something like a little village that lived around rice cultivation. Nowadays the history of those people is shown in a rice museum, hosted in the same building.
The building also hosts the machines necessary for preparing the rice for selling.

Spoiler

I remind you that the areas of Vercelli, and the near Novara, are famous for their the paddy fields for rice production
https://www.google.it/search?hl=it&s...PT6JbATalfM%3A
I was trying to find a decent pic of the rice fields but i just couldn't find any.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:23 PM

919 posts, read 840,632 times
Okuno island, Hiroshima, Japan:

https://youtu.be/9BjSCztgsRE

Old 03-20-2016, 10:32 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,450,938 times
Chiaming Lake, Taitung, Taiwan.

It's a lake in the high mountains.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:26 AM

2,949 posts, read 2,918,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Equally if not more beautiful than it's famous " sister " Lake Louise, is lesser known ( at least outside of Canada ) Moraine Lake.
I Agree. Louse and Peyto are more well know, but Moraine stands there in beauty. Same history here with "Laguna del Desierto". Its less visited than oters Argentine lakes, but is one of the most beautiful.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:23 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,191,573 times
Besseggen, Norway

Old 03-20-2016, 01:05 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
When people visit Saint Peter's Square or the Uffizi, how often people wonder where the marble used by Michelangelo, Bernini and the like comes from? Well, most of it comes from the marble quarries in the mountains above Carrara, the Apuan Alps which actually are just one of several mountain ranges in the Appennines. The place where most caves are located is Colonnata, also known for its lard.

A panoramic look of Colonnata and nearby quarries:

A drive in the middle of the former quarries:

Old 03-20-2016, 02:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Most everyone has heard of Niagara Falls, but may not of heard about the town Niagara on the Lake. It's a touristy place, set in one of Ontario's wine region.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:08 PM

919 posts, read 840,632 times
Ao Island, Ehime, Japan:

On this island, there are only 15 people and more than 100 cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World