Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:37 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,817,534 times

Advertisements

I often see people on here complaining about, that seems to be common especially with people coming from the USA. Italy is a country where there's little political correctness so i don't see it as a threat, however far right politicians seem to mention it quite often and the further right you go the more common it gets to the point of neofascist Forza Nuova having made a whole campaign to abolish the Mancino Law which established the existence of Hate Speech and against political correctness.

But here's a couple questions for you:
1) Do you see political correctness as a threat?
2) Why is it a threat or why it isn't?
3) Does your country's media promote political correctness? If so, what are your views on its use by the media?
4) My point of view is that this talk about political correctness is used by the right and far right just so that they can return to using derogatory terms and use discriminatory speech or anything bordering on it about whoever they want. Would you agree with this assessment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 13,794 times
It does promote political correctness but only for Muslims and Blacks.

Old 03-17-2016, 06:06 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times
Yes. Actually, my views are a bit fringe on this topic... IMO, political correctness has gotten extreme to the point that it smothers intelligent debate and discussion of sensitive topics even among the members of the far left. Millennials are in a contest to conform to some nebulous standard of Victorian-era-esque decency. It's corrosive peer-censorship.

Although there's a glimmer of hope that they recognize this... I like the meme "hipster kitty."

Old 03-17-2016, 06:25 PM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times
The complete lack of political correctness is our problem, not otherwise, imo.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Yes. Actually, my views are a bit fringe on this topic... IMO, political correctness has gotten extreme to the point that it smothers intelligent debate and discussion of sensitive topics even among the members of the far left. Millennials are in a contest to conform to some nebulous standard of Victorian-era-esque decency. It's corrosive peer-censorship.

Although there's a glimmer of hope that they recognize this... I like the meme "hipster kitty."
I agree, I think it is worse on the far left. Though I think there is a double standard. Some groups are completely acceptable to criticize and even put down, others are completely off limits. I know people will deny it but we see this in the Canadian forum all the time.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:56 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,982 times
I have mixed feelings about political correctness.

I find that most people who whine about it complain since they can't be openly and obnoxiously racist, sexist and discriminatory like the "good old days".

But at the same time, if political correctness is overused then it's just ridiculous and beating around the bush to the point of the conversation becoming a competition on who can subtly say the most ignorant crap without being able to be proven as a bigot!

Old 03-17-2016, 08:16 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
I would agree with your item #4. The political right is the problem, not PC standards. Making America great again includes making derogatory racial or ethnic remarks in public. The right wingers always need an enemy close at hand. PC gets in the way of public labels to focus on the enemy.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Not really an issue here, that I'm aware of.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:46 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,436,030 times
I think that compared with some other countries in Brazil is a bit more moderate.
But it causes some problems.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:16 AM

514 posts, read 471,257 times
I've been in both pro- and anti-PC camps throughout the course of my life, and I understand both positions and sympathies fairly well.

The pro-PC camp generally tend to be more incoherent and self-conflicted in their views, as in the post below. This stems from the fact that they've assumed "being politically correct" in itself as a moral axiom, so they perceive any attempt at discourse on topics that are remotely sensitive as "obnoxious" and "discriminatory" irrespective of whether it is actually discriminatory or not. This conviction conflicts with the axiomatically evident problems in political correctness.

Excluding earnestly different moral views at the properly basic level, like conservative Christians who campaign against abortion or for traditional family structure, actually discriminatory views among the anti-PC camp are rare in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I have mixed feelings about political correctness.

I find that most people who whine about it complain since they can't be openly and obnoxiously racist, sexist and discriminatory like the "good old days".

But at the same time, if political correctness is overused then it's just ridiculous and beating around the bush to the point of the conversation becoming a competition on who can subtly say the most ignorant crap without being able to be proven as a bigot!

Last edited by Yousseff; 03-18-2016 at 02:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World