Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 11:30 PM

134 posts, read 192,196 times

Advertisements

Im an Aussie and read about the whole Flag Change debate in Canada, I was wondering why they didn't keep the former flag, while Australia and New Zealand kept their original flags and still do to this day. What do you think the factors were that lead to a new flag in the 60s while Australia and New Zealand Decided to keep their original flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 01:07 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
The answer is fairly simple if you look at Canada's old flag...

... and consider that Canada had close to one quarter of its population that was French-speaking, and that there was a debate in the 1960s as to whether the English and French speaking parts were going to stay together as one country.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:54 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,108,261 times
I'm confused, why wouldn't the French like it ?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:56 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,108,261 times
The three lions in the small flag is Plantagenet, Er French, when they dominated Britain from 1066,

Old 01-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
The three lions in the small flag is Plantagenet, Er French, when they dominated Britain from 1066,
I know that.

But it's not seen or even "messaged" that way.

The three lions are for England.

The single lion is for Scotland.

The harp is for Ireland.

The three lilies (fleur-de-lis) are for France.

And then there is the Union Jack/Union Flag of course.

As you can imagine, the idea behind the new flag was to move Canada out of the "British colony" imagery.

Of course, nine of the 10 Canadian provincial flags today (all except Quebec) still have some imagery on them related to the UK.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:35 PM

7,681 posts, read 5,532,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That was never the official flag: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Canada#History

There has only been one official flag - the one adopted in the 1960s that we still use today.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
That was never the official flag: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Canada#History

There has only been one official flag - the one adopted in the 1960s that we still use today.
Well, it was the flag that flew on top of the Peace Tower on the Parliament Buildings until 1965, so...

Old 01-21-2017, 01:08 AM

8,866 posts, read 8,450,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

... and consider that Canada had close to one quarter of its population that was French-speaking, and that there was a debate in the 1960s as to whether the English and French speaking parts were going to stay together as one country.
That's fug.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:36 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Im an Aussie and read about the whole Flag Change debate in Canada, I was wondering why they didn't keep the former flag, while Australia and New Zealand kept their original flags and still do to this day. What do you think the factors were that lead to a new flag in the 60s while Australia and New Zealand Decided to keep their original flags.
Canada didn't keep the former flag because it didn't want the former flag, it wanted its own flag that plainly made the statement "Canada". Period. So Canada did what it wanted.

There were no factors between Canada, Australia and New Zealands' decisions about flags. Australia and New Zealand weren't relevant to Canada's decisions and any decisions Australia and New Zealand made about their own flags was not relevant to what Canada did, it was their own business.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Part of it was Canada's Centenary was coming up in 1967. Looking towards the future and not the past. Montreal held the worlds fair that year. I was there !!

The 1960's overall was a time of forward thinking and excitement about the future.

I like tradition and all that, but I think changing the flag was a brilliant idea. I also think it's a nice looking flag at that....although really hard for me to draw when I was in elementary school. That maple leaf drove me nuts LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World