Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 07:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,086,966 times

Advertisements

I have many of you don't know is if you go back to Chinese and Japanese history pre Jesus's Time (BC), you will find ou That Walmart today is the Han Chinese ethnicity was a mixture of dozens of Chinese groups that through centralized government after Centralized government slowly faded away, the people in the Pearl River Delta Region were actually invaded by people from between the Yangtze and Yellow rivers. Qin fact were Beijing is north to the Yellow Ricer wasn't actually Chinese, and has a Mongolian history. Manchuria again wasn't even considered Chinese, so what the Chinese did was through often cruel measurements basically erased the surrounding cultures and completely integrated them into central Chinese culture, people can say all Chinese look the same as over hundreds of years heir has been cross cultural mixing. China is the definition to an early USA but jell stead of bringing new immigrants they annexed the surrounding areas to what most people call China. A similar hint happened with Japan but on a much smaller scale. Nowadays people like to call Japan and China homogenous but completely forget their history, You also probably know about the Germanic states and the many ethnicities in France that mixed to create modern day France, cultural intermixing has been happening forever. How do you think He Homogenous nation to Saudi Arabia was formed through one Arabic culture annexing the rest of the surrounding cultures and forming probably the first United Arab nation.

Sorry posted from my phone so my spelling is terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:26 PM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Bigotry is alive and well and very widespread in Japan. The Ainu have been a marginalized group right up to today. The children of Korean and Chinese workers who are born in Japan are denied citizenship, and they are also subjected to prejudice. Mixed race marriages are frowned upon by many Japanese, and the children of those marriages face problems. This is all pretty well known about Japanese culture. If you go to Tokyo, you'll see very, very few foreigners--mostly white men. There's a reason for that. Diversity isn't a big priority there.

China has its own issues with ethnic bigotry. The Han Chinese are still the dominant ethnic group in society. In the opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics, the Chinese government represented China's 56 ethnic groups by using 100% Han Chinese actors...Beijing Olympics: 'Ethnic' children revealed as fakes in opening ceremony - Telegraph
In China, ethnic minorities are often subject to bigotry or even persecuted.
True. Bigotry can be found on every corner of the globe. Look at the grand mess that was Rwanda in the 90s. Two groups going at each other.

And in Japan, even people who are ethnically Japanese could face problems if they weren't born and raised in Japan. There is a term called "Kikokushijo". It literally means "repatriate children", but it is also known as "third culture kids". It refers to Japanese persons who were born in Japan, but spent most of their youth outside of Japan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kikokushijo

Sometimes even people who are the same ethnicity as everyone else can face problems for simply having been raised outside of a certain nation or being born outside of their ancestral nations.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:00 PM

63 posts, read 61,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Bigotry is alive and well and very widespread in Japan. The Ainu have been a marginalized group right up to today. The children of Korean and Chinese workers who are born in Japan are denied citizenship, and they are also subjected to prejudice. Mixed race marriages are frowned upon by many Japanese, and the children of those marriages face problems. This is all pretty well known about Japanese culture. If you go to Tokyo, you'll see very, very few foreigners--mostly white men. There's a reason for that. Diversity isn't a big priority there.

China has its own issues with ethnic bigotry. The Han Chinese are still the dominant ethnic group in society. In the opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympics, the Chinese government represented China's 56 ethnic groups by using 100% Han Chinese actors...Beijing Olympics: 'Ethnic' children revealed as fakes in opening ceremony - Telegraph
In China, ethnic minorities are often subject to bigotry or even persecuted.
I'm aware of Asia's xenophobia. My point was that those countries are diverse by design, even if they don't support diversity as a policy in real time.

Asia's xenophobia doesn't stem from their "homogeneous" society/lack of immigrants though. It was through centuries of anti-foreign policy. The government promoted hatred of anything foreign in general, not just foreign people. A lot of countries have adopted this policy, including the US at some point. Asia just held onto it for much longer. And judging by the looks of how western societies are losing its seams in the foundation of their cultures, I think Asia's exclusion in world matters may have done it some justice. I personally don't think diversity is an issue, but hyperdiversity is, which is what the states and Europe are doing right now and unknowingly facing consequences for. They're bending their way of life for immigrants that don't give two ****s about the country. Ridiculous.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:18 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,413,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timschko View Post
Diversity exists everywhere, you will not escape it!

No place on this planet is homogeneous as far as humans go!

In America people stick with their "own" but that is because America has an issue with skin color, and Americans become race conscious due to the society in which they live. By the way, race is a social construct, it is not objective! In many other places that are extremely diverse but that have less race issues than America people of different colors get along much more.

GERMANY? Germany has NEVER been homogenous..... Germany sits right in the center of Europe and throughout its history Germany has been the meeting site of many ethnic tribes, cultures. Saxons, Teutons, Romans, Slavs, Magyars, Latins, Gauls..... they have all mixed in Germany somehow. EUROPE IS PERHAPS THE MOST CULTURALLY MIXED PLACE ON THIS PLANET DUE TO ITS SMALL SIZE AND LARGE POPULATION WITH A LARGE AMOUNT OF CULTURES LIVING SIDE BY SIDE!
today Germany has over 12 million foreigners from all over the world!!! Higher percentage of immigrants than the USA!
Great post. The two bolded parts are especially true. Race does not exist in our species. I read somewhere that Germany was one of the first places in Europe to be truly diverse even being one of the first places in Europe to have at least a small number of Blacks dating back to the middle ages as well as people from farther east in Asia.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:07 AM

977 posts, read 1,013,023 times
I'm only going to reply to one part of this now cause I'm about to sleep and that part is that race is a social construct?!?! No it's not! Scientist can tell what someone's race was by their skull. Race is a lot more than skin deep or skin color. You can tell by jaws too. If race is social construct is I suppose gender is too.

I think I might stop replying on this thread I don't really feel it is going anywhere expect for in circles. I have came to learn to people don't usually change their minds and only see what they want too see.

Lastly, I will say this, I lived in an all white town. I moved to southern Seattle, VERY diverse. At my school, and in the area there just seems to be a lot of shady people. In my all white community there was very poor areas, dirt poor areas but they were safer. I felt my town was so much more united and there was a strong sense of community. All the people in this area are very racially divided, and from traveling around the west coast of America and Canda I feel this seems to be the same pretty much everywhere. I also think people make a country what it is. Why is Kenya, Peru, Venezuela, Sudan, Somalia etc. all crime ridden and scummy countries? Because the people made it that way! That is why there is the country because the people! There is clearly a difference between people, I'm not sure if it is a racial (biological) thing or a cultural thing but there is DEFINATELY a difference between people that I have noticed. You may not have so don't argue with me that there isn't one because I have noticed there is one and you won't change my mind. White peoples are fully capable of being more diverse than a bunch of random racial groups. I also have no idea how diversity is based off race. Anyways I guess I better leave now and prepare for the bombardment of names I will be getting called, I find it funny how you people who will call me a bunch of names will just say the same ones you've heard, ignorant, racist, etc. you guys never say anything that is YOUR argument just what someone else has said. But anyways I'm not sure if I will come and look at this thread again, I find it somewhat irrating how no one has any good arguments and then I waste my time like this posting because I cannot stop trying to argue so it may be best for my mental health to not return...

Old 06-03-2016, 03:28 AM

82 posts, read 65,388 times
timschko, you are right when you say Europe is already very diverse, it doesn´t need more diversity than it already has. And what you said about Japan I don´t even know where to start. Stagnation? We are talking about that little archipelago devastated after WW2 that is the third biggest economy in the world now. Backwards country? Lack of evolution? It is the most technologically advanced country in the world.

When we talk about diversity it is very subjective and you are not taking that in consideration because you are trying to push an pro-diversity agenda. Some of the things you said may be right but most of it is non-sense. One country can be strong regardless of being diverse or not what they need is to have a strong culture and identity. Japan is actually a perfect example of a very strong country.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:40 AM

Every country has problems, weak points and challenges to overcome. I still don´t get why diversity (especially the kind of diversity we are having nowadays) helps solving any of those problems. You also think the US "has an issue with skin color" and there are other places where people get along more could you tell me by your perspective any examples where that clearly applies?

Old 06-03-2016, 06:36 AM

I don´t agree with your perspective about the Japan situation I could explain to you in more detail but that is a bit offtopic here.

If the population in western countries is shrinking why can´t the solution be simply making conditions for the people from those countries to have more children and repopulate instead of importing migrants? Because there are jobs that some locals don´t want to do is that your main reason?

Another thing that you should have in consideration and it is very important, I already mentioned this other times, the migration to the US is completely different from the current one to Europe, very different scenarios. The migrants in USA actually contributed a lot to the development of the country. Like Poles for example in the U.K they actually contributed a lot. This is not what is happening in Europe right now. The recent migration wave, they not only are not helping the country solving their problems, they are also making it worse like for example sucking welfare more and more: Sweden Took 162,000 Refugees Last Year, 494 Got A Job | The Daily Caller

"However economic migrants almost always adapt to their new country and their children pretty much become regular citizens of the countries where their ancestros migrated to"

Right for USA, WRONG for Europe! Radicalised Muslims in UK more likely to be born in Britain, rich and depressed | UK Politics | News | The Independent

Basically, in comparision, U.S has been a case of "migration done right" unlike what Europe is doing apart from the recent wave of hispanics which are, unlike past migrations, the people that even Mexico don´t want and are not contributing.

Migration/diversity (i know it´s not the same thing but nowadays talking about diversity implies a lot of times migration or minorities) can be good for a country IF its done right like some decades ago in countries like US, Australia or even Germany for example however it is not necessary for the development of a country. It actually makes things a lot worse if it goes out of control and there is no criteria and planning.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:46 AM

I looked at that video. I tend to take it as "we don't want anyone here who isn't White". As a Black American, it disgusts me.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:56 AM

My childhood experience with diversity. In the 4th grade, I became the new kid in a school. I was in a racial diverse elementary school. I was made to feel welcome there. No racial strife that I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World