Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
*many videos*
IMO, London is the greatest city in the world, magnitutes more interesting than NY. I'm a bit confused by this thread and some of the negative and odd comments re: London. It is arguably the most interesting and dynamic city on the globe.

Last edited by Rozenn; 05-27-2016 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Please don't quote videos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 11:10 AM

47 posts, read 62,323 times
Why can't some of the londoners here accept the fact not everyone thinks their city is great?

Old 05-27-2016, 11:25 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
So you think London has "awful" history compared to cities like Rome, Athens, Damascus, Istanbul? I don't think so. London is a baby, comparatively. Even compared to Paris it's much younger in terms of becoming a world city.

London isn't a particularly old city for that part of the world, and wasn't particularly important until the last few hundred years. It didn't become the largest city in that part of the world until the 1800's, 2000 years after cities like Rome were dominant cities. In contrast, NYC is only about 100 years behind London in terms of being a world city.
Um.. no. I think New York has awful history compared to London. Frankly, the entirety of the Americas has awful history compared to Europe and Asia.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:14 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Um.. no. I think New York has awful history compared to London. Frankly, the entirety of the Americas has awful history compared to Europe and Asia.
That's because, as you just admitted, you're ignorant of history.

You had no idea that London was a relatively young major city, and thought it was more comparable to a Rome or Istanbul than to a New York, hence your complete confusion.

You also seem generally ignorant about the world, as there are many civilizations in the Americas that are much older and more notable than their equivalents in Europe. The accomplishments of the Incas, or Aztecs or Mayans, are generally a lot more notable than what was going on in, say, Scandinavia, or Ireland, or really most of Northern Europe at that time.

Mediterranean Europe, yes, has thousands of years of civilization. But not much was going on in, say Norway, until recent centuries. Even Christianity came very late to Scandinavia and the Baltics, as those areas were "off the map".

Old 05-27-2016, 12:18 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
^^

Not sure what that childish rant is about.

Research which analysed reviews on 17 websites including TripAdvisor and Yelp showed London to be ranked fiest for clubs and nightlife.

The most fun cities in the world revealed | Daily Mail Online

London Leads Global Survey on European TravelCity Voted Number One for Nightlife, Shopping and Family-Friendly - Trip Advisor

London has over three hundred Nightclubs and thousands of bars and beautiful traditional pubs and has a very good nightlife.
I believe Exas is another of Irene's accounts, and one which won't last much longer. Her only real experience of London's nightlife is a few "snobby" cocktails bars with colleagues.

London's nightlife is amazing, not just for clubs and pubs, but for the live music scene which is perhaps rivalled only by New York for the sheer number of acts performing every night.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:29 PM

969 posts, read 825,902 times
Quote:
That's because, as you just admitted, you're ignorant of history.

You had no idea that London was a relatively young major city, and thought it was more comparable to a Rome or Istanbul than to a New York, hence your complete confusion.

You also seem generally ignorant about the world, as there are many civilizations in the Americas that are much older and more notable than their equivalents in Europe. The accomplishments of the Incas, or Aztecs or Mayans, are generally a lot more notable than what was going on in, say, Scandinavia, or Ireland, or really most of Northern Europe at that time.

Mediterranean Europe, yes, has thousands of years of civilization. But not much was going on in, say Norway, until recent centuries. Even Christianity came very late to Scandinavia and the Baltics, as those areas were "off the map".
I think his point is that, in the 1600s, when New York (then known as New Amsterdam) was little more than a trading post stuck in the middle of a swamp, London looked like this:

https://www.battlemaps.us/london-1600s-panoramic-view/

Old 05-27-2016, 02:43 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
I think his point is that, in the 1600s, when New York (then known as New Amsterdam) was little more than a trading post stuck in the middle of a swamp, London looked like this:
Well yeah. That's kind of my point. London wasn't a major city until recent centuries, not unlike NYC.

In contrast, Mediterranean cities have been important for millennia. Rome and Constantinople had over a million residents before London even existed.

The previous poster claimed the opposite; that London was more like a Rome than like a NYC in historical terms. That's quite obviously wrong.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:46 PM

969 posts, read 825,902 times
Quote:
Well yeah. That's kind of my point. London wasn't a major city until recent centuries, not unlike NYC.

In contrast, Mediterranean cities have been important for millennia. Rome and Constantinople had over a million residents before London even existed.

The previous poster claimed the opposite; that London was more like a Rome than like a NYC in historical terms. That's quite obviously wrong.
Where does he compare Renaissance era London with Rome? Perhaps you'd like to go back and read his posts again.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:56 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exas View Post
I am truly blown away by how deluded some of the British here are. Do I have to think London is the greatest place on the planet? Is it a rule or law to think so and I am not aware of it?

I went there three times and didn't like it and found it to be a rather overhyped city. It's my personal taste, choice and opinion and if you don't agree with it, well there is nothing you can do! It is my right to not think London is amazing!
In what way is it 'overhyped'? You have already shown yourself to be foolish with your ridiculous first post, your 'personal taste' is fair enough but we aren't interested in what you think, we need to know what EXACTLY it is that London lacks? Or are you just French?

Old 05-27-2016, 03:59 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:

Are you seriously trying to suggest that London and Rome were founded 'about the same time' loooooool! New York is a wonderful city but it can't do anything about its lack of history - and so what! Do you actually believe that London has no history either!! That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard!!!!

Last edited by easthome; 05-27-2016 at 04:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World