Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 05:41 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times

Advertisements

I also heard rumours that many of the Russian hooligans and even normal football fans think that the situation in Western Europe is still like in the 80's, and similar to Russia where the situation is still very bad, and where the firms are more or less 'professional'.

As everyone can't travel, the Russians even had their own qualification to ensure that only the toughest of the toughest go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 05:41 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Why is everyone so obsessed when USA does something different from the rest of the world? These European countries always talk about how they love "different cultures" and they are so "well traveled", yet any time the US does something different.... the Americans are horrible people who need to be like everyone else.

I shouldn't say Europeans, I should say C-D Forum Europeans... basically the losers of Europe no one likes anyway..

Old 06-19-2016, 06:01 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,184 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Why is everyone so obsessed when USA does something different from the rest of the world? These European countries always talk about how they love "different cultures" and they are so "well traveled", yet any time the US does something different.... the Americans are horrible people who need to be like everyone else.

I shouldn't say Europeans, I should say C-D Forum Europeans... basically the losers of Europe no one likes anyway..
The US does have a decent and growing Soccer/Football League.

How Major League Soccer Is Closing The Gap With The Big Four - Forbes

Whilst NFL American Football Games are reguarly played in London in front of sell out crowds and there is a growing interest in US Sport.

NFL to play at Twickenham as three-year deal is announced - BBC Sport

Surely but slowly, NFL inching forward on permanent London franchise - The Guardian

So we are embracing each others sports.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-19-2016 at 06:13 AM..

Old 06-19-2016, 06:08 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The US does have a decent and growing Soccer/Football League.

Whilst NFL American Football Games are reguarly played in London in front of sell out crowds and there is a growing interest in US Sport.

So we are embracing each others sports.

Yeah, I agree.

I am not a big soccer fan, but I do watch most of the World Cup games and Copa America (even when USA isn't playing).

Almost everyone I know watches the world cup, and they are far from soccer fans as well.

It's not like we hate soccer in the USA... it's just not our main sport. I just find it ridiculous how so many Europeans are offended that it isn't also our #1 sport. Especially how so many preach about "accepting other cultures"

I think its really cool to see the NFL games played in England though. It's awesome to see all the fans there, I'm really glad the NFL does the games out there like that.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:19 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,184 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Yeah, I agree.

I am not a big soccer fan, but I do watch most of the World Cup games and Copa America (even when USA isn't playing).

Almost everyone I know watches the world cup, and they are far from soccer fans as well.

It's not like we hate soccer in the USA... it's just not our main sport. I just find it ridiculous how so many Europeans are offended that it isn't also our #1 sport. Especially how so many preach about "accepting other cultures"

I think its really cool to see the NFL games played in England though. It's awesome to see all the fans there, I'm really glad the NFL does the games out there like that.
Football/Soccer is ot the number one sport in large parts of the world. Football is not even the number one sport in Wales, that's Rugby, whilst the Irish have Gaelic Football and other such sports. So it's not even the number one sport in parts of the British Isles.

India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, West Indies are Cricketing nations and are passionate about the game, whilst New Zealand is home to the legendry All-Blacks Rugby Team and Australia has Australian Football, Rugby and Cricket as their major sports rather than Soccer.

Rugby and Cricket are also massive in South Africa, whilst in Canada Ice Hockey is the number one game, as it is in parts of the US and the same is true in parts of Northern Europe/Russia whilst Bandy also played on ice is popular in China. In parts of France Rugby is far more popular than Soccer/Football and the French have also always had a passion for cycle racing, which is also a massively growing sport in Britain.

In the Western Hemisphere, baseball is also one of the leading sports in Canada, Colombia, Mexico, the Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, and Venezuela. In Asia, it is among the most popular sports in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan. Basketball is also played in many nations and as well as the US countries such as Canada and Australia have particuarly good leagues.

In terms of American Football which is obviously very popular in the US and Canada, the sport is played in European countries such as Switzerland, which has American football clubs in every major city, and Germany, where the sport has a significant number of registered amateur player, whilst the sport is growing rapidly in the UK, which now hosts regular selll out NFL Games in London.

As for other sports, a whole host of countries play Tennis, Golf, Field Hockey, Volleyball, Badmington, Table Tennis, Snooker/Pool, Darts etc and enjoy Athletics, Gymnastics, Swimming, Horse Racing/Equestrian events, Cycling, Sailing, Motorsports etc etc

So I am fine with the US having it's own sporting traditions and enjoy the diversity of sport available rather than criticise other nations for enjoying different sports.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-19-2016 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-01-2017, 06:06 PM

943 posts, read 782,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Her explanations are precisely why many Americans hate soccer fans. If you don't like soccer you must be a capitalistic jingoistic pig who has a low attention span. She doesn't even get into the problems with soccer from a playing stand point. The issue isn't the low scores but the low scoring potential/shots on goal.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:32 PM

943 posts, read 782,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
A fact!? How exactly? American football stops and starts, it even stops for ad breaks! These are 'facts' that suggest the game is far more monotonous than a game that has one half time break surely?
The other poster means the similarity in play. Plays in the american football are short, but each play is somewhat different.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:50 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Soccer (Futbol) is considered a girl's sport in the USA. It's slowly gaining a small measure of popularity although that is mostly due to immigration.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:31 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times
I think a more interesting conundrum is the fact that the US is currently the most significant country in the world, with enormous cultural influence, yet its sports haven't really caught on throughout the rest of the world.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:23 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I think a more interesting conundrum is the fact that the US is currently the most significant country in the world, with enormous cultural influence, yet its sports haven't really caught on throughout the rest of the world.
Basketball is actually very popular world-wide. It's arguably the biggest team sport export from the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World