Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which countries arctic cities will experience the biggest boom?
USA (Alaska) 8 34.78%
Denmark (Greenland) 0 0%
Iceland 3 13.04%
Norway 2 8.70%
Russia 4 17.39%
there will be no boom 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:32 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,935,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think Canada should develop Tuktoyaktuk and Churchill as deep water arctic ports. Both already have or will soon have land connections to the rest of the country. I think we need to attract people to move up there and build thriving communities that can take advantage of the new shipping routes. Ideally it would be great to have both with populations of around 100,000 or so to solidify our presence up there.
I think Churchill has the brightest future of the Canadian Arctic cities because of the Arctic Bridge
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Bridge

It is a trade route between Churchill and Murmansk connecting inland Canada/USA and northern/eastern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Arkhangelsk as it's already larger than Murmansk and it doesn't seem to be shrinking demographically as quickly but i think it won't boom but just have a sustained growth in the last couple years. In Norway, you have Tromso whose population has basically been increasing constantly since WW2. The population is more than five times what it was in 1960

Old 06-24-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Arkhangelsk as it's already larger than Murmansk and it doesn't seem to be shrinking demographically as quickly but i think it won't boom but just have a sustained growth in the last couple years. In Norway, you have Tromso whose population has basically been increasing constantly since WW2. The population is more than five times what it was in 1960
Arkhangelsk actually started growing again 350,985 (2013) vs 348,783 (2010), its also one of the oldest cities in the arctic, given city status way back in 1584

Old 06-24-2016, 04:40 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Arkhangelsk actually started growing again 350,985 (2013) vs 348,783 (2010), its also one of the oldest cities in the arctic, given city status way back in 1584
Didn't know it was a city that far back considering how far to the north it is. It seems a lovely area overall, the Russian government should try to invest more on it as it can have large economical opportunities up there

Old 06-24-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Didn't know it was a city that far back considering how far to the north it is. It seems a lovely area overall, the Russian government should try to invest more on it as it can have large economical opportunities up there
Yeah at one point in Russia's early history it was Russia's only port, it was founded when some English merchants sailed into the arctic hoping to find a way to china, and one of the ships stumbled upon this area, Ivan IV (the terrible) got word of this and made a trade agreement with England and then thinks picked up from there, and for a long time it was the only port that was not in danger of being blockaded (Baltic sea was controlled by Sweden and the Black sea was controlled by the ottomans.)

looking around on google earth it seems to have quite a bit of construction going on.
https://www.google.com/maps/@64.5363...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@64.5323...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@64.5304...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@64.5320...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@64.5333...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@64.5358...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@64.5426...7i13312!8i6656

anyways you get the idea

and this is what I think is the historical fort
https://www.google.com/maps/@64.5376...7i13312!8i6656

Old 06-24-2016, 05:11 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
The northeast passage won't be open for more than a few months in the near future, so I would not invest much in infrastructure. What i can say is that Russia will not be any kind of an arctic hub, as half of the world pretty much hate that thoroughly corrupt, untrustworthy and unpredictable sewer.

"Sjorry, wje ljost shipment. martiani came and wje khad to pay vodka. Njow we invade some country and get mjore sanctions."

Old 06-24-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The northeast passage won't be open for more than a few months in the near future, so I would not invest much in infrastructure. What i can say is that Russia will not be any kind of an arctic hub, as half of the world pretty much hate that thoroughly corrupt, untrustworthy and unpredictable sewer.

"Sjorry, wje ljost shipment. martiani came and wje khad to pay vodka. Njow we invade some country and get mjore sanctions."
It's not like if Putin will be in power forever, eventually the west will be on friendly terms with Russia, or at the very least neutral, also what are your thoughts on the northwest passage? Also didn't Finland used to have an Arctic coast? And then Russia annexed it, and if so has Finland ever tried or is interested in regaining that land?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pechengsky_District

Old 06-24-2016, 05:51 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
It's not like if Putin will be in power forever, eventually the west will be on friendly terms with Russia, or at the very least neutral, also what are your thoughts on the northwest passage? Also didn't Finland used to have an Arctic coast? And then Russia annexed it, and if so has Finland ever tried or is interested in regaining that land?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pechengsky_District
Russia has to reinvent itself big time to get the confidence back. Just getting rid of Putin doesn't solve anything. Before Crimea western Europe invested 50 billion euros annually in Russia. After Crimea it dropped to 5 billion.

The Finnish - Russian border is indefinite. There will be no discussions about that. And there is no rail or even a decent road connection to the area from Finland.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Russia has to reinvent itself big time to get the confidence back. Just getting rid of Putin doesn't solve anything. Before Crimea western Europe invested 50 billion euros annually in Russia. After Crimea it dropped to 5 billion.

The Finnish - Russian border is indefinite. There will be no discussions about that. And there is no rail or even a decent road connection to the area from Finland.
well either way, the majority of arctic traffic currently is domestic shipping between Russian northern cities. (majority of Russia's major rivers flow into the arctic except for the Volga which is still connected to the white sea through a system of canals)

Old 06-24-2016, 06:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,370,668 times
Also to be considered: Canada's northern territories have scattered populations. There was never any forced repatriation of the indigenous people living there.

The large cities in the northern reaches of Russia's arctic are largely populated with people (that is: political prisoners) who were deported to those areas from outlying regions (ethnic minority enclaves) during the Soviet era, or even earlier during the "Russification" period of the earlier, last Russian imperial era. Tens of thousands of ethnic minorities were forced onto trains during the Stalin years to be sent to the gulag system or to fend for themselves in Siberia. People were literally left to starve, or freeze, or figure out how to survive in the Siberian wilderness--many survived only because of the kind altruism of indigenous people in those areas. Trans-Siberian Railway was built on prison labour. Novosibirsk, the third largest city in Russia, and the largest in Siberia, was built on prison labour. It's increasingly difficult for the smaller cities in the arctic Russian region to survive with the reduced state subsidies they receive in Russia's current economic situation. Russia's economy is shrinking by the day.

Canada's arctic lacks centralized populations in large cities of the scale of northern Russia. But it doesn't mean that a major port could not be built. Rather than forcing people to live in the region, it would be more natural for Canada to wait for the arctic routes to melt and allow summer shipping traffic. At that point, cooperation between Canada, the U.S., and other northern allies could allow for a useful, cutting-edge port to be constructed. People would not be forced to move there-- lucrative jobs would no doubt make the port a population magnet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World