Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you visit?
Death Valley, CA 17 58.62%
Vostok Station, Antarctica 12 41.38%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:43 AM

733 posts, read 603,401 times

Advertisements

I can't afford Antarctica. I'll pick the Death Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 07:58 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,822,778 times
I live in Death Valley's cousin. Deserts tend to look very similar, they are usually dirt-themed (like the Mojave and Sonora) or sand-themed (Sahara). The difference between them is generally the amount of flora, and in some cases the types (only few plants and animals can live in the desert and frankly they don't vary much between different deserts) and the mountains. The rock features that belong in the deserts are some of the most unique, combine them with the beautiful skies that belong to deserts because of the dust and makes for an amazing natural skyline. While Death Valley has some unique features, as someone who lives in a desert I probably would not find them as appealing or striking in comparison to someone who does not live in a desert and is overall unfamiliar with this type of climate.

Antarctica, by all technicalities, is a desert too but it's a snow desert. There are penguins, walruses, etc. that one will never see in a desert unless it's a zoo. Antarctica would probably freeze me if I didn't dress up like the little brother from A Christmas Story, but it would be something unique and unfamiliar to me, making it striking and appealing. To see the ice and snow would be something I would rather see.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:12 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
BTW, has anyone here been to Antarctica, or personally know anyone who's been?

How do you even get there unless you're doing some kind of research?

Old 07-15-2016, 10:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Death Valley, nothing really to see at Vostok except for the research station.

I would love to visit Antarctica, but like Base Esperanza where there is actually something to see and experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How do you even get there unless you're doing some kind of research?
There are tourist cruises arranged. Very expensive, though.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:35 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,400,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I live in Death Valley's cousin. Deserts tend to look very similar, they are usually dirt-themed (like the Mojave and Sonora) or sand-themed (Sahara). The difference between them is generally the amount of flora, and in some cases the types (only few plants and animals can live in the desert and frankly they don't vary much between different deserts) and the mountains. The rock features that belong in the deserts are some of the most unique, combine them with the beautiful skies that belong to deserts because of the dust and makes for an amazing natural skyline. While Death Valley has some unique features, as someone who lives in a desert I probably would not find them as appealing or striking in comparison to someone who does not live in a desert and is overall unfamiliar with this type of climate.
This is an over simplification of deserts. The Sonoran and Mojave and quite distict flora. The former is dominated by Saguaro and the latter by Joshua Trees. The Mojave is also generally a high desert and averages slightly cooler. The main part of the Sonoran has two rainy seasons; one in summer (monsoon) and one in winter. The Sonoran also has several sub regions, one of which, the Colorado Desert is one of the driest and most barren on the continent. It is there where you will also find soil that is sand dominated and in parts forms huge dunes such as the Imperial Dunes.

The Chiracahuan Desert is also a high desert characterized by grassy plains and averages cooler still. The last is the Great Basin which is a cold desert and most of the precipitation falls as snow in winter.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:34 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Death Valley as it has somewhat comfortable temps during its winters, early springs and late autumn as well as being quite close to major cities such as Los Angeles, San Diego and Las Vegas. And there's people living there as well.

Vostok is excessively isolated and cold. A better comparison would have been somewhere in Siberia such as Yakutsk for example
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World