Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:36 PM

26,820 posts, read 22,591,590 times

Advertisements

Russia;
As someone on F.B said in response to a note that "Putin's gov. allocated 4 million rubles or so, to fight the corruption" -

"What "four million?" Stalin would have allocated four cemeteries for this purpose instead."

Enough said.

When it comes to the US, the matter is more complicated.
I think the country should either go back to its roots - i.e. unabated capitalism, "my house is my castle," gun tooting culture and "Christian understanding" in the family matters, OR abandon its roots and completely switch to European economic/social models.
This teetering on a fence can't last long.
No one can have his cake and eat it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:22 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,053,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Who is standing in the way of innovators and producers?
With the internet personal businesses have skyrocketed.

The real group who has been squashed is the middle class.
When you tax people to transfer wealth from a party that earned to party that did not, you are squashing innovators and producers. It is no different than stealing it, except that the government carries the guns and does the dirty work of separating it from its rightful owner. When taxes get high enough, people stop producing or just hide their money from taxation through fancy offshore shell companies and countries with cooperative banking laws like Switzerland. If they didn't feel compelled to hide that money, it would be circulating through the economy through investments and personal spending.

The internet is a wonderful place for some people, including myself, but nobody produces employment like the evil large corporations that everybody wants to tax into oblivion. The money that gets stripped away in taxes slows capex spending thus reduces innovation thus reduces hiring. Then factor in all of the regulations that are growing at an exponential pace and you have the economic malaise that we are mired in. It boggles my mind that people want more taxation.

Yes, the middle class is being squashed. Taxing people more and more regulations will not fix it.

Taxes are a necessary evil, but they are not a means to lift people to the middle class who did not earn it.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:50 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,798,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
When you tax people to transfer wealth from a party that earned to party that did not, you are squashing innovators and producers. It is no different than stealing it, except that the government carries the guns and does the dirty work of separating it from its rightful owner. When taxes get high enough, people stop producing or just hide their money from taxation through fancy offshore shell companies and countries with cooperative banking laws like Switzerland. If they didn't feel compelled to hide that money, it would be circulating through the economy through investments and personal spending.

The internet is a wonderful place for some people, including myself, but nobody produces employment like the evil large corporations that everybody wants to tax into oblivion. The money that gets stripped away in taxes slows capex spending thus reduces innovation thus reduces hiring. Then factor in all of the regulations that are growing at an exponential pace and you have the economic malaise that we are mired in. It boggles my mind that people want more taxation.

Yes, the middle class is being squashed. Taxing people more and more regulations will not fix it.

Taxes are a necessary evil, but they are not a means to lift people to the middle class who did not earn it.
Good lord, why do I even try.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:40 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,053,840 times
You didn't try.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:49 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,361 times
We'll need more immigrants to support our welfare state in the future. There will be too many old people. We have one of the highest life expectancies in the world and good healthcare. We can't sustain things if there aren't enough working age people to keep up.

I say we should source more working age immigrants from less economically sufficient countries in Europe, such as Spain, Portugal or Greece. Perhaps South America too. We don't get enough immigrants from South America. They deserve a chance.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:16 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,029,787 times
Well, Rozenn deleted my message where I mentioned that 90% of the people should be shot in my country. Fair enough, here's softer approach:

Leave the EU and NATO and then abandon any possibilities for better relations with Serbia, Russia, Turkey and the rest.

Then seek better relations with some of these: Israel or Arab countries, China or Japan.
Possibly also Macedonia, Greece or even Italy depending on where the "wind takes them".

Old 08-23-2016, 05:10 AM

9,377 posts, read 14,329,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
We'll need more immigrants to support our welfare state in the future. There will be too many old people. We have one of the highest life expectancies in the world and good healthcare. We can't sustain things if there aren't enough working age people to keep up.

I say we should source more working age immigrants from less economically sufficient countries in Europe, such as Spain, Portugal or Greece. Perhaps South America too. We don't get enough immigrants from South America. They deserve a chance.
I agree, but it has to be done LEGALLY and gradually. Also with a view to integration, and at least a respect for the Constitution and the rule of law.

Also the priority for fiscal and monetary policy must be the economy on US soil.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:31 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,129,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
The only chance you're giving us by leeching off the few young people that haven't run off to Germany is that of further ruining Spain for your own good. We have the same ageing population problems, if not worse. Not that you would mind much, would you? Nothing would make you happier than seeing Spain go to ruin.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:06 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,300,865 times
Italy:

Smart people should stop emigrating and leave the ruling board to dumb people.
Stop self-depreciation and remember your cities are the most beautiful in the world
Start caring more about natural resources and start applying laws instead of just making them for nothing
More cooperation and less individualism
Make beaches free
Stop driving so fast and dangerously
make real bread

France:

eliminate most politicians
stop dumb polemics and stop treating 4th generation immigrants as if they had just stepped foot in the country
start caring about tax evasion
Probably a lot more...

Old 08-28-2016, 04:15 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin loon View Post
Uk
My top ten
5.Scrap trident.
What nonsense is this? You really want to get rid of your best trump card? Well, give it to us, then. Wanna give up your permanent seat on the UN security council as well? We'll accept that one too.

But don't come crying when Iran nukes you into oblivion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World