Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 07:46 PM

12,955 posts, read 13,371,662 times

Advertisements

I've never seen anyone open carrying in a public place other than law enforcement officers, and I live in Texas. Have seen gun store clerks openly heeled in their place of business frequently.

Of course we do have almost 1,000,000 concealed carry license holders (including me) in our state, but as the permit says - concealed - so you never know who is. And probably half those don't carry much at all. Criminals don't care about the laws though, and they'll carry where they please if they can get away with it - just like the terrorists do in Europe.

I've read there are something like 14 or 15 million licensed gun toters in the US as a whole. However, there are a handful of states that have Constitutional Carry, which means no license needed. Those are the truly free states.

As noted above, just don't travel through the "sketchy" areas where most of the criminals operate and you'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 07:54 PM

30,494 posts, read 19,255,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
If you call me "arrogant"... you really don't know what arrogant is.
I don't know whether you are arrogant or not but I do many Europeans are horribly arrogant.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:14 AM

27,236 posts, read 13,527,411 times
I don't think the rest of the world is really that interested in US Gun Laws, the US Gun Debate or indeed US Domestic Policy.

Why should we care, the US is free to make it's own internal laws like most countries and the rest of the world tends to be more interested in US Foreign Policy which effects them and Trade Agreements which also effect them.

As for visiting the US, most tourist areas are quite safe and violent crime rates have fallen rapidly over the last few decades in many cities, so if anything the US has become a safer place to visit.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-27-2016 at 03:50 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

As for visiting the US, most tourist areas are quite safe and violent crime rates have fallen rapidly over the last few decades in many cities, so if anything the US has become a safer place to visit.

Except for the US Capitol building - it is infested with elected criminals worse than ever.

Mind you wallets when visiting.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:23 AM

9,540 posts, read 16,545,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
If a collection of Europeans are upset over the American tradition of the right to keep and bear arms as a safeguard of individual liberty, most of us who see it differently couldn't care less.

Stay home, boys and girls -- you won't be missed anyway.
I don't think tourists would be surprised by your comment.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:44 AM

862 posts, read 979,224 times
laws vary from state to state, but generally northeast have strict gun laws, the only people you will see with a gun is a policeman in uniform.
it's not the wild west here, I lived here all my life, never did see anyone shoot a gun or use a gun,(outside of a gun range), not to say gun violence does not happen, but it's not common in most places.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:40 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,842,685 times
No. What a stupid idea. Their country - their rules.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post

Of course we do have almost 1,000,000 concealed carry license holders (including me) in our state, but as the permit says - concealed - so you never know who is.
Forgot to mention - the Texas CHL (Concealed Handgun License) law was changed last year - it is now called the LTC (License To Carry), which means the holder can carry concealed or openly (in a holster). Of course a few areas are off-limits, so the licensee needs to be aware of where/where not he or she can tote their weapons.

Rifles & shotguns have always been legal to carry openly in public places in Texas, but I've never seen it in person in the 57 years since moving here with one "incident" exception in 1966.

Tourists should beware more of carjackers & criminals in the touristy areas than some law-abiding licensed gun-toter.

On a side note, my son's 71 year old ex-MIL carries three handguns when she's riding her Harley-Davidson around. Don't mess with that old lady.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:52 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,391,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
If you call me "arrogant"... you really don't know what arrogant is.
It is easy to infer from your post the sense that America's gun rights are a moral failing to be punished by witholding tourist dollars. I suspect you did not mean it that way, but that is how many will read it.

As far as the danger of being assaulted with a gun as a tourist in the U.S., I suspect you are statistically far more likely to be killed on the way to the airport in your home country.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:52 AM

10,647 posts, read 16,055,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No. What a stupid idea. Their country - their rules.
The irony...
How many times did the U.S. said this about other countries "Their country, their rules"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World